Are Total and Static Temperatures Equivalent for Incompressible Fluids?

• Thread starter defunc
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Static
In summary: Sounds about right. They're pretty close to each other, but you'll have less error assuming ideal gas.
defunc
Am I correct if I say the total and static temperatures of an incompressible fluid are the same?

Thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Generally, the ratio between static and total temperature is:
[tex]
\frac{T_0}{T} = 1 + \frac{\gamma -1}{2}M^2
[/tex]
So if one is assuming low Mach incompressible flow then it's a reasonable assumption. It depends on the accuracy you're looking for though.

Yep. But from my understanding, for incompressible flow the total and static temperatures are exactly the same. Regardless the velocity. Just want to confirm this.

Regards.

How can they be the same given what Minger pointed out to you? Imagine hydraulic fluid or water (both incompressible) at a high Ma. The definition of a total or stagnation property is in bringing a moving fluid to rest isentropically. Granted, most places you see total properties are in compressible flow areas, but there is nothing (at least that I can think of) that doesn't say you can't use them for incompressible.

What is it in your understanding makes them the same based on compressibility?

Mingers equations are based on perfect gas laws. For incompressible flow entropy is only a function of temperature. From there my conclusion...

Incompressible is an assumption.

Everything is compressible. Water is compressible. It may be essentially incompressible but its not. That's what you're not fully understanding.

The equations you gave is also based on an assumption: perfect gas behaviour. So its not applicable to any fluids. So my question still remains, under the assumption of incompressible flow, what's the relation between total and static temperatures? Is it the same?

Static and total temperature are no for equal at any condition than static and total pressure are. They are both simply functions of Mach. If you want a closed-form solution assuming a real gas, then I'm sorry, I don't think any exist. Run a CFD using real gas propreties...which you typically can't either, unless you hardwire it yourself.

Sure suuuuree, under your assumption that for incompressible flow, Mach = 0, they are the same. How same are they actually? I don't know, plug and chug. You'll have orders of magnitude less error assuming ideal gas than assuming imcompressible.

1. What is the difference between total and static temperatures?

Total temperature is the temperature measured by a thermometer in a moving fluid, while static temperature is the temperature measured by a thermometer in a non-moving fluid.

2. How are total and static temperatures related?

Total temperature is always greater than or equal to static temperature, as the kinetic energy of the moving fluid increases the total temperature.

3. What is the measurement unit for total and static temperatures?

Total and static temperatures are typically measured in degrees Celsius (°C) or Kelvin (K).

4. What is the importance of measuring total and static temperatures?

Total and static temperatures are important in fluid dynamics as they help in understanding the behavior of fluids in motion, such as in aircraft engines and gas turbines. They also play a crucial role in thermodynamics and heat transfer studies.

5. How can total and static temperatures be measured?

Total and static temperatures can be measured using instruments such as thermocouples, thermistors, and resistance temperature detectors (RTDs) that can be inserted into the fluid flow. Other methods include using pitot tubes or hot wire anemometers to measure velocity and using Bernoulli's equation to calculate total and static temperatures.