Finding E field inside a sphere with charge proportional to radius

In summary, by applying Gauss' law, we can calculate the electric field inside a sphere with charge density proportional to the distance from the origin. By using spherical coordinates and symmetry, we can determine that the electric field is equal to kR^2/4epsilon, where k is a constant and R is the radius of the sphere.
Vapor88
First time poster here! EDIT: SOLVED!

Thanks, I figured out from the related links at the bottom of the page. >_>b

Homework Statement

Find the electric field inside a sphere which carries a charge density proportional
to the distance from the origin, [tex]\rho[/tex] = kr, for some constant k.

Homework Equations

[tex]\oint E.da[/tex]
[tex]a = 4 \pi r^2/3[/tex]
[tex]da = 4 \pi r^2[/tex]
[tex]\rho = kr[/tex]
[tex]E = q/(r^2 4 \pi \epsilon _0)[/tex]
Where q = charge inside

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]\oint E \bullet da = \int q/(r^2 4 \pi \epsilon _0) \bullet 4 \pi r^2[/tex]

The 4 pi r^2 terms cancel, leaving on the right

[tex]q/ \epsilon_0[/tex]

Substitute rho into the eqn. as to integrate all dimensions of the sphere

[tex] \int \rho d \tau / \epsilon_0[/tex]

Here's where I get stuck, I know that

[tex] \rho = kr [/tex]

What do I do with [tex]d \tau[/tex]? I'd imagine that it'd be easiest to do in spherical coordinates, so do I just add dr, dtheta, drho?

Also... How do I put a dot into this LaTex thing?

Thank you!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You do not know the electric field, but you can calculate it by applying Gauss' law.

Because of symmetry, E depends only on r and is the same along a sphere of radius R. The surface integral for a sphere of radius R is equal to Q/epszilon, where Q is the charge confined inside the sphere

[tex]4 \pi R^2 E(R) = \frac{4 \pi}{\epsilon}\int_0^R{kr*r^2dr=\frac{4\pi}{\epsilon}k R^4/4 \rightarrow E(R)=\frac{kR^2}{4\epsilon}[/tex]

ehild

Hello and welcome to the forum!

To find the electric field inside a sphere with charge density proportional to the distance from the origin, we can use Gauss's law. This law states that the electric flux through a closed surface is equal to the enclosed charge divided by the permittivity of free space.

In this case, we can choose a spherical Gaussian surface with radius r, centered at the origin. The electric field will be constant on this surface, and we can use the formula for electric flux to find the electric field at any point inside the sphere.

Using Gauss's law, we have:

\oint E \cdot da = \frac{Q_{enc}}{\epsilon_0}

Where Q_enc is the enclosed charge within the Gaussian surface. In this case, the charge density is proportional to the distance from the origin, so we can write:

Q_{enc} = \int_{0}^{r}\rho dV = \int_{0}^{r}kr^2dr = \frac{kr^3}{3}

Substituting this into Gauss's law, we have:

\oint E \cdot da = \frac{kr^3}{3\epsilon_0}

Now, the left side of the equation can be simplified to:

\oint E \cdot da = E \cdot 4 \pi r^2

And we can solve for E:

E = \frac{kr}{12\pi\epsilon_0}

Note that this is the electric field at any point inside the sphere, and it is proportional to the distance from the origin, as expected. I hope this helps!

1. How is the electric field inside a sphere with charge proportional to radius calculated?

The electric field inside a sphere with charge proportional to radius can be calculated using the equation E = kQ(r/R^3), where E is the electric field, k is the Coulomb's constant, Q is the charge of the sphere, r is the distance from the center of the sphere, and R is the radius of the sphere.

2. What is the significance of the charge being proportional to the radius in this scenario?

The charge being proportional to the radius means that as the radius of the sphere increases, so does the charge. This has an impact on the electric field inside the sphere, as it will also increase in proportion to the radius.

3. How does the electric field vary at different distances from the center of the sphere?

The electric field inside the sphere will vary at different distances from the center. As the distance increases, the electric field will decrease due to the inverse-square law. This means that the electric field is stronger closer to the center of the sphere and weaker further away.

4. Is the electric field inside the sphere uniform or does it vary?

The electric field inside the sphere is not uniform and varies depending on the distance from the center. As mentioned before, the electric field is stronger closer to the center and weaker further away. This is due to the charge being distributed throughout the sphere.

5. How does the electric field inside the sphere change as the radius increases?

As the radius of the sphere increases, the electric field inside the sphere will also increase. This is because the charge is proportional to the radius, as well as the inverse-square law. As the radius increases, the charge and the distance from the center both increase, resulting in a stronger electric field.