Floating gate potential of a MOSFET

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a floating MOSFET and finding the potential on the floating gate as a function of time. The person asking the question has solved part of the problem but is unsure about their solution for the part involving a ramp function. The expert assures them that their solution is correct and explains the reasoning behind it. They also encourage the person to continue their work and offer further assistance if needed.
divB
Hi,

First of all, I posted a similar question in [1] but I think it is the wrong forum and wrong question (maybe the reason why I get no answer...).

I have to solve this (I think easy?) exercise:

http://img705.imageshack.us/img705/8241/floatingmosfet.png

I think (3.1) is easy and I solved it. I also solved (3.2) but my solution is so primitive that I think it is wrong.

In (3.2) I should express [tex]\phi_F[/tex] as a function of [tex]t[/tex] if I apply a ramp function (i.e. switch on with a high voltage [tex]V_{pp}[/tex]).

If I look at it, the one parameter dependent on the gate voltage is [tex]V_g[/tex] (which is just replaced by [tex]V_{pp}[/tex]) and [tex]Q_F[/tex].

The current which flows from/to the floating gate is given by the formula in the problem statement but I think it is NOT dependent on time ... What do you think?!

If this is the case I just integrate [tex]I[/tex] from [tex]0[/tex] to [tex]t[/tex] in order to get the total charge but of course this is only linear behavior which also grows without stopping!

So my total solution would be:

[tex]\phi_F(t) = \frac{C_1 V_{pp} + t \cdot A \cdot E^2 \cdot e^{-\frac{B}{E}}}{C_1 + C_2}[/tex]

Do you think this is true or am I on the wrong way?divB[1] https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=376713

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

Hello divB,

Thank you for reaching out to us with your question. I am happy to help you with this exercise.

Firstly, I want to assure you that you are on the right track with your solution. The solution you have proposed for (3.2) is correct. The current flowing from the floating gate is indeed not dependent on time, but the potential on the floating gate is. This is because, as you correctly pointed out, the only parameter dependent on time is the gate voltage V_g (which is replaced by V_{pp} in this case).

Your solution for \phi_F(t) is correct and it takes into account the linear behavior of the potential on the floating gate. The total charge on the floating gate can be obtained by integrating the current from 0 to t, as you have proposed.

I hope this helps clarify your doubts. Keep up the good work and don't hesitate to reach out if you have any further questions.

1. What is the floating gate potential of a MOSFET?

The floating gate potential of a MOSFET is the voltage applied to the floating gate, which is isolated from the rest of the circuit. It is typically used in non-volatile memory devices, such as flash memory, to store and retain data.

2. How does the floating gate potential affect the performance of a MOSFET?

The floating gate potential plays a crucial role in the operation of a MOSFET. It controls the threshold voltage of the device, which determines the on and off states of the transistor. The higher the floating gate potential, the higher the threshold voltage and the lower the current flow through the transistor.

3. What factors can affect the floating gate potential of a MOSFET?

Several factors can affect the floating gate potential of a MOSFET, including the thickness of the gate oxide layer, the doping concentration of the channel, and the materials used in the fabrication process. Any changes in these factors can alter the performance of the MOSFET.

4. How is the floating gate potential of a MOSFET programmed and erased?

The floating gate potential of a MOSFET can be programmed by applying a high voltage to the gate, which causes electrons to tunnel onto the floating gate. This increases the threshold voltage and turns the transistor off. It can be erased by applying a high voltage to the source and drain, which causes the electrons to tunnel off the floating gate, lowering the threshold voltage and turning the transistor back on.

5. Can the floating gate potential of a MOSFET be changed after it is programmed?

No, the floating gate potential of a MOSFET cannot be changed after it is programmed. This is because the floating gate is isolated from the rest of the circuit and does not have any external connections. However, it can be erased and reprogrammed multiple times, allowing for data to be rewritten in non-volatile memory devices.