Does the Constant of Integration Play a Role in Integration by Summation?

In summary: If I'm integrating a function f(x), and I know the function value at every point along the x-axis, but I don't know the function's antiderivative, then I have to include the constant of integration in my calculation in order to determine the function's antiderivative. Otherwise, I'd be integrating something without knowing its antiderivative, and that would be pretty useless.Thanks for the clarification, Nobahar.
nobahar
Hello!
I was pondering over the relationship between differentiation and integration, and I arrived at the question: does the constant of integration play any role in integration when I'm not interested in an antiderivative?

I think the answer is no, it doesn't play a role...

If I am integrating a function f(x), then I times it by an infinitessimally small increase in x, and sum togeather an infiinite number of these 'small areas'. I know the function, and I know it value at every point. But if it is the antiderivative, then I cannot identify whether the function involved a constant or not before differentiating, and so when integrating the constant must be included...

The reason I say this is because intgration by summation 'appears' to leave no ambiguity over the values of f(x). But:

[tex] \int \left \left dy = \int \left \left \frac{dy}{dx} \left \left dx[/tex]

(ignore the dx on the LHS, I have corrected the Latex, but it is updating.)

does... Since here dy/dx has elliminated the constant, forever lost!

I don't know if I've completely misunderstood! But I feel perhaps there's an important point which I'm not getting, and it's throwing me off course quite a bit.

I would REALLY appreciate some help, any little points that you feel may guide me back in the right direction, or clear up some misunderstandings.
My main goal is to understand the relationship between intgration and differentiation.

Thanks in advance, nobahar.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Do you mean a definite integral? If you need to find a definite integral
[tex]\int_a^b f(x) dx[/tex]

any antiderivative of f(x) will give you the answer. Try it with the constant C with the antiderivative and you'll see that the constants cancel.

Many thanks for the reply Bohrok.
I was thinking more in terms of integration by summation, I just can't see where the constant of integration comes into this process.

What is the Constant of Integration?

The Constant of Integration is a mathematical term used in the process of integration, which is the inverse operation of differentiation. It is represented by the letter "C" and is used to account for all possible solutions to a given differential equation.

Why is the Constant of Integration important?

The Constant of Integration is important because it allows us to find the general solution to a differential equation. This general solution can then be used to find specific solutions for different initial values. Without the Constant of Integration, the solution to a differential equation would not be complete.

How do you find the Constant of Integration?

The Constant of Integration is found by integrating a function and then adding the constant "C" at the end. The value of "C" can be determined by using initial conditions or boundary conditions, or by solving for it algebraically.

Can the Constant of Integration have different values?

Yes, the Constant of Integration can have different values depending on the given initial conditions or boundary conditions. This means that for different solutions to the same differential equation, the Constant of Integration may have different values.

What happens when the Constant of Integration is not included?

If the Constant of Integration is not included in the solution to a differential equation, the solution would not be complete and would only represent a specific solution. This would limit its usefulness in finding solutions for different initial or boundary conditions.