What gas giant, what moon(s) are split in half and.

In summary, Saturn is the only gas giant that appears to be split in half due to its rings. The two moons of Saturn that are split in half are Mimas and Tethys. Saturn's split appearance is an optical illusion caused by its rings, which are made up of ice and rocks. With a telescope, it is possible to see the split in Saturn and its moons from Earth.
rrw4rusty
Hello,

I searched and searched, even emailed my astronomer friend in the land down under but I need the answer NOW! LOL.

One of our gas giants has a moon that is split in half and when the two halfs meet they trade places.

Which gas giant?

What are the names of the two half moons?

Thanks!
Rusty

Astronomy news on Phys.org

1. What gas giant is split in half?

The gas giant that is split in half is Saturn.

2. What moon(s) are split in half?

The two moons of Saturn that are split in half are Mimas and Tethys.

3. How did Saturn become split in half?

Saturn's split appearance is due to its rings, which are made up of countless small pieces of ice and rocks. From Earth's perspective, it may appear that the planet is split in half, but it is actually just an optical illusion caused by the rings.

4. Are there any other gas giants or moons that are split in half?

No, Saturn is the only gas giant that appears to be split in half due to its rings. There are no other moons besides Mimas and Tethys that are split in half either.

5. Can we see the split in Saturn and its moons from Earth?

Yes, with a telescope, it is possible to see the split in Saturn and its moons from Earth. However, the split may not be as noticeable without the aid of a telescope or other advanced imaging equipment.