Solving Percentage Questions: 231 mg Potassium in Dandelions vs 93 mg in Lettuce

• Thread starter lha08
  • Start date
In summary: So 1/231 (or 0.00231) of a serving of lettuce has the 93 mg of potassium. So the answer to your question is that there is 0.00231 more of potassium in a serving of dandelion than in a serving of lettuce.
lha08

Homework Statement

So I'm drawing a complete blank on how to figure out some easy math...like given that there is 231 mg of potassium in a dandelion and 93 mg of potassium in lettuce, how much more (%wise) is there of potassium in dandelions...

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

i thought at first that its (93/231)*100= 40.26% but then i started second guessing myself...

Physics news on Phys.org
(1) How much more is there in dandelion than in lettuce?
Answer: (amount in dandelion) - (amount in lettuce)
(2) What percentage is this of the amount of potassium in ...

gerben said:
(1) How much more is there in dandelion than in lettuce?
Answer: (amount in dandelion) - (amount in lettuce)
(2) What percentage is this of the amount of potassium in ...

sorry but i don't quite get what you said for (2)...

final-initial/initial = percent gain

I left the... to make clear you still had to decide whether you want to know either A or B:

A: (how much more (%wise) is there of potassium in dandelions than in lettuce) relative to the amount in lettuce.

B: (how much more (%wise) is there of potassium in dandelions than in lettuce) relative to the amount in dandelion.

gerben said:
I left the... to make clear you still had to decide whether you want to know either A or B:

A: (how much more (%wise) is there of potassium in dandelions than in lettuce) relative to the amount in lettuce.

B: (how much more (%wise) is there of potassium in dandelions than in lettuce) relative to the amount in dandelion.

like for some reason, I'm still kind of confused...like this is what I've got...
(231-93)/93 = 148.39% more potassium in dandelions
Is this right or should it be the opposite way meaning (231-93)/231= 59.74% more potassium in dandelions...?

Yes, there is "(231-93)/93 = 148.39% more potassium in dandelions" then in lettuce, relative to the amount in lettuce (that is: the amount more in dandelion than in lettuce is equal to 148.39% of the amount in lettuce)

When they ask "%-wise" it is not always clear what is meant, a percentage is always relative to something. Another correct answer would be:

There is (231-93)/231 = 59.74% more potassium in dandelions then in lettuce, relative to the amount in dandelions (that is: the amount more in dandelion than in lettuce is equal to 59.74% of the amount in dandelion)

lha08 said:
So I'm drawing a complete blank on how to figure out some easy math...like given that there is 231 mg of potassium in a dandelion and 93 mg of potassium in lettuce, how much more (%wise) is there of potassium in dandelions...
In a way, you're comparing apples to oranges here. The only way you can compare percentages of potassium in dandelions and lettuce is to compare quantities that are comparable. You say there are 231 mg of potassium (K) in a dandelion. How big a serving of lettuce contains the 93 mg of K? Unless otherwise stated you should be comparing one dandelion with an amount of lettuce of about the same weight.

What is the significance of solving percentage questions?

Solving percentage questions allows us to determine the relative amount or proportion of a certain substance or element in a given sample. It is a useful tool in scientific research and can provide valuable insights into the composition of various substances.

How do you calculate the percentage of potassium in dandelions and lettuce?

To calculate the percentage of potassium in dandelions and lettuce, we first need to find the total amount of potassium in each sample (231 mg for dandelions and 93 mg for lettuce). Then, we divide this number by the total weight of the sample and multiply by 100 to get the percentage. For example, the percentage of potassium in dandelions would be (231 mg / total weight of dandelions) * 100.

Why is it important to compare the percentage of potassium in dandelions and lettuce?

Comparing the percentage of potassium in dandelions and lettuce allows us to understand the differences in the nutrient composition of these two plants. This information can be useful for dietary and agricultural purposes, as well as in understanding the role of potassium in plant growth and development.

Are there any other factors that may affect the percentage of potassium in dandelions and lettuce?

Yes, there are several factors that may affect the percentage of potassium in dandelions and lettuce. These include the type of soil and fertilizer used, the age of the plants, and environmental conditions such as temperature and rainfall. It is important to take these factors into consideration when interpreting the results of percentage calculations.

How can solving percentage questions contribute to overall scientific knowledge?

Solving percentage questions can contribute to overall scientific knowledge by providing concrete data and insights into the composition of various substances. This information can be used to make informed decisions in various fields such as nutrition, agriculture, and environmental science. It can also lead to further research and discoveries in these areas.