Can a Lorenz Attractor Graph Be Produced in a Lab Experiment?

In summary, the Lorenz attractor is produced by a computer simulation of a Lorenz convection current equation. Many electric circuits can produce chaotic behavior, but the gelotin turbulence exp is the best example because it can be mapped with a computer.
djmike
hi people, I've been looking into Chaos theory and would like to build an experiment to produce a Lorenz attractor graph. is this possible? does the water wheel produce the butterfly wings graph? a lot of the articles on the net say the same thing so i have given up there.

im reading through nonlinear dynamics and Chaos-Strogatz and Chaos-Gleick. they say the graphs are produced from Lorenz convection current equations on a computer simulation. this is why I am wondering how to produce them in a lab experiment.

many thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Producing the Lorenz attractor itself is quite complicated I believe, because of the complexity of systems such as the weather/convection currents and the extremely large number of parameters to control. However, many simple electric circuits exist which exhibit nonlinear dynamical behavior.

The simplest one I have found is here: http://documents.wolfram.com/v4-de/GettingStarted/ChaoticCircuit.html

You can play with voltage here to see the resulting attractor: http://library.wolfram.com/webMathematica/Engineering/Circuit.jsp

Here is an article detailing other more complex circuits: http://sprott.physics.wisc.edu/pubs/paper249/paper249.htm

Despite their apparent simplicity, these are still quite difficult to replicate.

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks very much. looking at your links an electronic experiment is probably going to give the best results. I've got to make an experiment for my MPhys final year project. I am going to start looking at the electric circuits for Chaos. i wanted to make something that's not electrical as it is planned(hopefully) to go into the lab as an undergrad experiment or alternatively in a display case. there are plenty of circuit based exeriments i had to do, so something else would have been nice. on the other hand there is the grade of my project to consider and an electric circuit would probably give me more options

A pendulum can also be driven into chaotic motion, but it can only be graphed using a computer interface and appropriate software, so it's not easy.

i was thinking of that...also I've seen a magnetic resonator exp using flash photography, something the dept uses.

What has caught my attention is the gelotin turbulence exp for chemical mixing applications. they use coloured needles with a turbine to generate and map chaotic flow. the needles are dye injected and illuminated with a laser(dept speciallity) plane through a half cylinder lense. i think this must also be mapped with a computer...but would make a nice demostration. ill speak to my supervisor as this sounds good

ill add the link in a bit when i find it

What is the Lorenz attractor experiment?

The Lorenz attractor experiment is a mathematical model created by meteorologist Edward Lorenz in the 1960s to study the behavior of a simplified atmospheric system. It consists of three differential equations that describe the evolution of three variables: temperature, atmospheric density, and vertical air motion.

What is the significance of the Lorenz attractor experiment?

The Lorenz attractor experiment is significant because it showed that small changes in initial conditions can have a significant impact on the long-term behavior of a system. This concept, known as the "butterfly effect," has important implications in fields such as meteorology, chaos theory, and even economics.

How does the Lorenz attractor experiment work?

The Lorenz attractor experiment works by simulating the behavior of a simplified atmospheric system using a set of three differential equations. These equations are iterated over time to calculate the values of the three variables at each time step. The resulting data can be plotted in a 3D space to visualize the chaotic behavior of the system.

What are some real-world applications of the Lorenz attractor experiment?

The Lorenz attractor experiment has been applied in various fields such as meteorology, economics, and biology. In meteorology, it has been used to study weather patterns and predict long-term climate changes. In economics, it has been used to model stock market behavior and study financial markets. In biology, it has been used to study the behavior of animal populations and the spread of infectious diseases.

What are the limitations of the Lorenz attractor experiment?

The Lorenz attractor experiment is a simplified model that does not take into account all the factors that influence real-world systems. As such, its predictions may not always match real-world observations. Additionally, the experiment is highly sensitive to initial conditions, making it difficult to accurately predict long-term behavior. It is also limited in its ability to model complex systems with many variables and interactions.