Is the Boltzmann Equation in GR Truly Coordinate Independent?

In summary: That's precisely what I'd like to understand better. I know it's a derivative wrt p^\alpha, which is why I think the full equation should be covariant. Could you give me some more details or a reference where to look up this stuff? What is the transformation rule you mention?I can' find it right away in a book, but the idea is simple. You havep^\alpha=\frac{\partial x^\alpha}{\partial x^{\alpha'}}p^{\alpha'}therefore\frac{\partial f(x,p)}{\partial x^{\alpha'}}=\frac{\partial f}{\
DrFaustus
Hi everyone,

have a question about covariant, coordinate independent quantities in GR.

Reading Kolb and Turner's book The Early Universe one can find the Boltzmann equation in a GR setting. Now, one of the terms in that equation is
[tex] - \Gamma_{\alpha \beta}^\gamma p^\alpha p^\beta \frac{\partial f}{\partial p^\gamma}[/tex]
where [tex]\Gamma[/tex] is the Christoffel symbol, [tex]f = f(x^\mu, p_\mu)[/tex] is the particle distribution function, which is a scalar and depends on the coordinates [tex]x^\mu[/tex] and the momenta [tex]p_\mu[/tex].

My question now is simply how to see that this is a coordinate independent quantity? The Christoffel symbols do not transform like tensors, but the above formula really should be a scalar quantity, like the index notation suggests. So my guess is that the partial derivative with respect to the momenta must transform in a way so to make the above a scalar. Is this correct? Can you explain in some detail? Or give me some references to check it out?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Even ignoring the fact that the Christoffel symbol isn't a tensor, there's also the issue that the derivative is not a covariant derivative. It might be easier to figure this out if you give us the whole equation.

It's the collisionless Boltzmann equation:

[tex]p^\mu \frac{\partial f}{\partial x^\mu} - \Gamma_{\alpha \beta}^\gamma p^\alpha p^\beta \frac{\partial f}{\partial p^\gamma} = 0[/tex]

The first term is manifestly covariant, and so should be the second one.

As for the Christoffel symbol, Wald states it is a tensor. The reason why it does not transform like one might suspect is that it is associated to a non-covariant derivative, which depends on the coordinates. So when you change coordinates you are forced to change the Christoffel tensor as well. See page 34 of his book, after equation 3.1.15. But I know there's confusion about it, and I myself am not totally clear on the situation.

Any insight is helpful...

Last edited:
DrFaustus said:
It's the collisionless Boltzmann equation:

[tex]p^\mu \frac{\partial f}{\partial x^\mu} - \Gamma_{\alpha \beta}^\gamma p^\alpha p^\beta \frac{\partial f}{\partial p^\gamma} = 0[/tex]

No, the first term is not manifestly covariant, because it's a partial derivative, not a covariant derivative.

DrFaustus said:
As for the Christoffel symbol, Wald states it is a tensor. The reason why it does not transform like one might suspect is that it is associated to a non-covariant derivative, which depends on the coordinates. So when you change coordinates you are forced to change the Christoffel tensor as well. See page 34 of his book, after equation 3.1.15. But I know there's confusion about it, and I myself am not totally clear on the situation.
Wald calls it a tensor, but says that it doesn't transform as a tensor. Most people only define a thing to be a tensor if it transforms as a tensor.

The first term is manifestly covariant because f is a scalar and for scalar quantities the covariant derivative coincides with the usual partial derivative...

DrFaustus said:

I don't quote see the covariance of the second terrm right now, and I probably won't get any chance to think about this tomorrow. I can see that the second term comes from the geodesic condition.
bcrowell said:
Wald calls it a tensor, but says that it doesn't transform as a tensor. Most people only define a thing to be a tensor if it transforms as a tensor.

Some people make a distinction between a tensor and a tensor field.

Last edited:
DrFaustus said:
The first term is manifestly covariant because f is a scalar and for scalar quantities the covariant derivative coincides with the usual partial derivative...
Ah, sorry -- you're right and I was wrong.

This is an equation on the tangent bundle. Notice that you have derivation with respect to the coordinates of the tangent vector [tex]p^\alpha[/tex] and not with respect to [tex]x^\alpha[/tex]. The transformation rule involves then second derivatives.

george.jones -> Good observation, the second term comes from the geodesic condition indeed.

arkajad -> That's precisely what I'd like to understand better. I know it's a derivative wrt [tex]p^\alpha[/tex], which is why I think the full equation should be covariant. Could you give me some more details or a reference where to look up this stuff? What is the transformation rule you mention?

I can' find it right away in a book, but the idea is simple. You have

[tex]p^\alpha=\frac{\partial x^\alpha}{\partial x^{\alpha'}}p^{\alpha'}[/tex]

therefore

[tex]\frac{\partial f(x,p)}{\partial x^{\alpha'}}
=\frac{\partial f}{\partial x^\alpha}\frac{\partial x^\alpha}{\partial
x^{\alpha'}}
+\frac{\partial f}{\partial p^\alpha}\frac{\partial
p^\alpha}{\partial x^{\alpha'}}[/tex]

Now, the last term gives you

[tex]\frac{\partial p^\alpha}{\partial x^{\alpha'}}=\frac{\partial^2 x^\alpha}{\partial x^{\alpha'}\partial x^{\beta'}}\,p^{\beta'}[/tex]

This should cancel out with what comes from the second term - though one will need to play with derivatives of the inverse matrix - a little calculational trick is needed (if you want, I can explain it).

Last edited:

1. What is the definition of a covariant quantity in General Relativity?

A covariant quantity in General Relativity is a physical quantity that remains unchanged under a change of coordinates. This means that the mathematical representation of the quantity will change, but the underlying physical meaning and value will remain the same.

2. How do covariant quantities differ from contravariant quantities in GR?

Covariant quantities and contravariant quantities are two types of tensors used in General Relativity. While covariant tensors change in a predictable way when the coordinate system is transformed, contravariant tensors change in the opposite direction. In other words, the components of a covariant tensor will decrease when the coordinate system is stretched, while the components of a contravariant tensor will increase.

3. What are some examples of covariant quantities in GR?

Examples of covariant quantities in General Relativity include the stress-energy tensor, which describes the distribution of energy and momentum in a given region of spacetime, and the Ricci curvature tensor, which measures the intrinsic curvature of a space. Other examples include the metric tensor, the electromagnetic field tensor, and the Levi-Civita symbol.

4. How are covariant quantities used in the equations of General Relativity?

Covariant quantities are essential in the equations of General Relativity, as they allow for the mathematical representation of physical laws to remain unchanged under a change of coordinates. They are used to describe the curvature of spacetime, the motion of particles, and the behavior of matter and energy in the universe.

5. Can covariant quantities be measured and observed in experiments?

No, covariant quantities cannot be measured or observed directly. They are mathematical constructs used to describe physical quantities and phenomena in General Relativity, but they do not have a physical existence in and of themselves. However, their effects can be observed and measured through experiments and observations, such as the bending of light by massive objects or the gravitational redshift.