Metallic Bond - The Role of 'Free' Electrons in a Metallic Bond

In summary: This is a nice description of the origin of free electrons in a metal (although the last part doesn't explain specifically why electrons might be delocalized in an ionic or covalent crystal). However, if the question is to explain the role of free electrons, you should also cover what properties of a metal are affected by these electrons, and how.
mahdzer
Can someone tell me the role of 'free' electrons in a metallic bond?

i've answered below here... am i right? and if there is detailed explanation?

my answer : Solid metal are therefore visualized as consisting on positive-ion cores (atoms without their valence electrons) and of valence electron dispersed in the form of and electron cloud that covers a large extend of space. The valence electrons are weakly bonded to the positive-ion cores and readily move in the metal crystal; they are generally referred to as free electrons. Free or delocalized electrons may also exist in some crystals that primarilly contain covalent or ionic bonds; for instance, graphite.

Physics news on Phys.org
This is a nice description of the origin of free electrons in a metal (although the last part doesn't explain specifically why electrons might be delocalized in an ionic or covalent crystal). However, if the question is to explain the role of free electrons, you should also cover what properties of a metal are affected by these electrons, and how.

Mapes said:
This is a nice description of the origin of free electrons in a metal (although the last part doesn't explain specifically why electrons might be delocalized in an ionic or covalent crystal). However, if the question is to explain the role of free electrons, you should also cover what properties of a metal are affected by these electrons, and how.

which means not all of the metal have free electron?

and plus i got to give an example?... i'll try search more...

thanks Mapes

Mapes said:

Two-dimensional schematic diagram of metallically positive-ion cores, and the charge clouds around the ion cores represent the dispersed valence electron

can this pictures helped? i'll try search the example metal.

Attachments

• Intensive 1011 Exam No 1.JPG
    Intensive 1011 Exam No 1.JPG
    9.7 KB · Views: 630

1. What is a metallic bond?

A metallic bond is a type of chemical bond that occurs between metal atoms in a solid material. It is characterized by the sharing of "free" or delocalized electrons among the atoms, resulting in a strong attraction between them.

2. How do "free" electrons contribute to a metallic bond?

"Free" electrons, also known as delocalized electrons, are able to move freely throughout the metal lattice due to the overlapping of atomic orbitals. This creates a strong electrostatic attraction between the positively charged metal ions and the negatively charged electrons, resulting in a metallic bond.

3. What is the role of "free" electrons in a metallic bond?

The role of "free" electrons in a metallic bond is to provide a strong cohesive force that holds the metal atoms together. These electrons are able to move easily, making metals good conductors of both heat and electricity.

4. Can non-metallic elements form metallic bonds?

No, non-metallic elements do not have the necessary properties to form metallic bonds. They do not have enough delocalized electrons or the ability to overlap atomic orbitals, which are essential for the formation of a metallic bond.

5. What is the difference between a metallic bond and an ionic bond?

The main difference between a metallic bond and an ionic bond is the type of elements involved. Metallic bonds occur between metal atoms, while ionic bonds occur between a metal and a non-metal. In a metallic bond, electrons are shared among the metal atoms, while in an ionic bond, electrons are transferred from one atom to another.