North Korea threatens holy war using nuclear deterrent

• News
  • Thread starter jreelawg
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Nuclear
In summary: The North has previously used aggression to force negotiations. Recently, it has said it is willing to return to the talks. Washington and Seoul, however, are insisting that the North make progress on past disarmament commitments before negotiations can resume. North Korea is a tricky country to read, they've been known to back down from threats before. But if they're serious about this "holy war," it's not good news for anyone.
jreelawg
North Korea threatens "holy war" using nuclear deterrent

"To counter the enemy's intentional drive to push the situation to the brink of war, our revolutionary forces are making preparations to begin a holy war at any moment necessary based on nuclear deterrent," North Korea's KCNA news agency quoted minister of armed forces Kim Yong-chun telling a rally in Pyongyang."
The threats contradicts claims by analysts who say the North has no way to launch a nuclear device.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2010/12/24/3101035.htm?section=world

Physics news on Phys.org

I think it was, "Sacred" war. "Holy" would imply a religious connotation.

drankin said:
I think it was, "Sacred" war. "Holy" would imply a religious connotation.

I don't know, the translation might be difficult. In the dictionary, sacred can imply religious as well, but holy, according to the dictionary, is also used just as an intensifier, which I think was their purpose.

sacred |ˈsākrid|
adjective
connected with God (or the gods) or dedicated to a religious purpose and so deserving veneration : sacred rites | the site at Eleusis is sacred to Demeter. See note at divine .
• religious rather than secular : sacred music.
• (of writing or text) embodying the laws or doctrines of a religion : a sacred Hindu text.
• regarded with great respect and reverence by a particular religion, group, or individual : an animal sacred to Mexican culture.
• sacrosanct : to a police officer nothing is sacred.

holy |ˈhōlē|
adjective ( holier , holiest )
1 dedicated or consecrated to God or a religious purpose; sacred : the Holy Bible | the holy month of Ramadan. See note at divine .
• (of a person) devoted to the service of God : saints and holy men.
• morally and spiritually excellent : I do not lead a holy life.
2 informal used as an intensifier : having a holy good time.
3 dated or humorous used in exclamations of surprise or dismay : holy smoke!

Apple dictionary

If you want the title of the thread changed, just let us know.

Is it possible the North Korean people don't know their leader is insane? Perhaps they are not aware that he risks their lives as well as his own? Do the North Koreans have access to outside radio and television - I assume their internet access is restricted?

russ_watters said:
In order to get internet access, they'd need computers and ISPs and electricity with which to run them, WhoWee - they don't even get enough food.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telecommunications_in_North_Korea

:smile: I should have been more specific. I was only referring to the major city. Pyongyang has over 3 million people and is the seat of government. There are educated people in this city. These people have something to lose and (due to their numbers) are capable of change.

WhoWee said:
:smile: I should have been more specific. I was only referring to the major city. Pyongyang has over 3 million people and is the seat of government. There are educated people in this city. These people have something to lose and (due to their numbers) are capable of change.
Pyongyang is home to the party elite. Living there is basically a reward for being loyal. The immediate thing to lose is all that which the party has rewarded them with. So why would they want change?

[edit] Not that the technology you describe is all that widespread:
Current domestic North Korean subscriptions to the Koryolink mobile phone network are around 185,000.
In a city of 3 million (assuming almost all are in the city)?

Perhaps just the contrast between those and the rest who have much, much less is enough to keep them loyal?

Last edited:

russ_watters said:
Pyongyang is home to the party elite. Living there is basically a reward for being loyal. The immediate thing to lose is all that which the party has rewarded them with. So why would they want change?

With the future progression of the third son, do you think that could be enough reason for change?

Last edited by a moderator:

seeks3 said:
With the future progression of the third son, do you think that could be enough reason for change?

Let's see... Army Captain in January of 2010, promoted to 4-star general before the end of a year, son of a nut, grandson of a nut...

Unless he has an epiphany, I wouldn't put much faith in Kim Jong Un.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110101/ap_on_re_as/as_koreas_clash" .

Gem of truth: "The North has previously used aggression to force negotiations. Recently, it has said it is willing to return to the talks. Washington and Seoul, however, are insisting that the North make progress on past disarmament commitments before negotiations can resume."

The North are saber rattlers extraordinnaire. Should they push the issue, there'd be nothing left of the regime, lots of folks on both sides would have died, and the North and South would be reunited once again.

Under the rule of the South.

Last edited by a moderator:

What is the current situation with North Korea's nuclear deterrent?

As of now, North Korea has continued to develop and test nuclear weapons, despite international pressure and sanctions. They have also threatened to use these weapons in a "holy war" against their perceived enemies.

What is a "holy war" in the context of North Korea's threats?

In the context of North Korea's threats, a "holy war" would refer to a religiously motivated conflict where nuclear weapons would be used as a means of defense or aggression.

What are the potential consequences of North Korea's nuclear threats?

The potential consequences of North Korea's nuclear threats are numerous and concerning. They could lead to an escalation of tensions and potentially spark a nuclear war, causing widespread destruction and loss of life.

Is there a possibility of diplomatic resolution to this issue?

While diplomatic efforts have been ongoing, they have not yet resulted in a resolution to this issue. However, it is still possible for diplomatic negotiations to continue and potentially lead to a peaceful resolution.

How does the rest of the world respond to North Korea's nuclear threats?

The rest of the world has responded with concern and condemnation to North Korea's nuclear threats. Many countries have imposed economic sanctions in an attempt to pressure North Korea to cease their nuclear program.