Naming question; Michael Aldol Condensation

In summary, the person is seeking help with naming a compound they are synthesizing, which has a 4-methyl group on one of the diphenyls. They are considering naming it 6-ethoxycarbonyl-3-phenyl-5-(4-methylphenyl)-2-cyclohexenone or 6-ethoxycarbonyl-3-phenyl-5-(p-tolyl)-2-cyclohexenone. They have been advised to use a chemical structure drawing software to accurately name the compound.
Leakyrex1
Hi everyone,

So I am performing a michael aldol condensation experiment and i was wondering if anyone can help with the naming. An example of naming would be 6-ethoxycarbonyl-3,5-diphenyl-2-cyclohexenone. This example was in my lab manual; the compound I am synthesizing, has a (p) or 4-methyl on only one of the diphenyls of the example compound. So my question is, I understand that when a benzene ring has a methyl, it is named toluene. This is how i am naming my compound: 6-ethoxycarbonyl-3-phenyl-5-(4-methylbenzyl)-2-cyclohexenone. Does this sound right? my next guess would be to -5-((p)-toluenyl)-2-cyclo... thanks for the help.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Nobody will be able to help not seeing the compound...

Borek is right, no one will be able to help you if you cannot draw or show an image of your compound. You can use a simple free software like ChemSketch to draw your chemical structures. Check out this link to view information about the software:
http://www.acdlabs.com/resources/freeware/chemsketch/

Regards.

Last edited by a moderator:
Leakyrex1 said:
Hi everyone,

So I am performing a michael aldol condensation experiment and i was wondering if anyone can help with the naming. An example of naming would be 6-ethoxycarbonyl-3,5-diphenyl-2-cyclohexenone. This example was in my lab manual; the compound I am synthesizing, has a (p) or 4-methyl on only one of the diphenyls of the example compound. So my question is, I understand that when a benzene ring has a methyl, it is named toluene. This is how i am naming my compound: 6-ethoxycarbonyl-3-phenyl-5-(4-methylbenzyl)-2-cyclohexenone. Does this sound right? my next guess would be to -5-((p)-toluenyl)-2-cyclo... thanks for the help.

Your first name preferred, except that it should be 4-methylphenyl and not 4-methylbenzyl, if I understand you correctly. The toluene nomenclature is less desirable (not systematic), but if used, it should be p-tolyl not p-toluenyl. Another place to get chemical structure drawing software for free is: http://www.chem.wisc.edu/areas/reich/plt/winplt.htm

Hello,

Your naming of the compound 6-ethoxycarbonyl-3-phenyl-5-(4-methylbenzyl)-2-cyclohexenone seems correct. The presence of a methyl group on one of the diphenyls would indeed be named as toluene. It is important to note that the numbering of the carbons should start at the carbonyl group and proceed in a clockwise direction, as indicated in your naming. Additionally, the use of parentheses is not necessary in this case. Good luck with your experiment!

1. What is a naming question in scientific research?

A naming question in scientific research refers to a question that seeks to identify or explain a specific phenomenon, process, or concept. It often involves assigning a name or label to a particular scientific finding or discovery.

2. Who is Michael Aldol and what is his contribution to science?

Michael Aldol was a French chemist who made significant contributions to the field of organic chemistry. He is best known for discovering the Aldol reaction, also known as the Aldol condensation, which is a type of organic reaction that involves the formation of carbon-carbon bonds.

3. What is the Aldol condensation reaction?

The Aldol condensation is a type of organic reaction where an enol or enolate reacts with a carbonyl compound to form a beta-hydroxy carbonyl compound. This reaction is commonly used in organic synthesis to create complex molecules and is named after its discoverer, Michael Aldol.

4. How does the Aldol condensation reaction work?

The Aldol condensation reaction involves the nucleophilic addition of an enol or enolate to a carbonyl compound, followed by the elimination of a water molecule. This results in the formation of a new carbon-carbon bond and the creation of a beta-hydroxy carbonyl compound.

5. What are the applications of the Aldol condensation reaction?

The Aldol condensation reaction has many applications in organic synthesis, including the production of pharmaceuticals, natural products, and polymers. It is also commonly used in the production of fragrances and flavors, as well as in the creation of new materials with unique properties.