Landline has dial tone for outgoing calls but no incoming calls

• Thread starter smurof
  • Start date
In summary, the speaker has a Verizon landline with two working jacks - one with a cordless phone system and the other with a corded phone. However, there are not enough jacks in each room. The speaker's friend called them on their emergency cell phone because the home phone was ringing continuously, even though the answering machine was on. The speaker then unplugged the cordless phone and tested the corded phone with their cell phone, but did not hear a ring. They checked the outside phone box with the corded phone and their cell phone, but the corded phone did not ring. The speaker plans to test the corded phone at a friend's place to make sure it is working. They have a dial tone
smurof
Hello, we have a Verizon landline with two working jacks. In one, we have a cordless phone system (the DECT 6.0 set), with 3 handsets. In the other we have a corded phone. We don't have sufficient jacks in each room.

Yesterday, my friend called me on my emergency cell phone because she said that my home phone was ringing off the hook. I checked the answering machine and it was "on".

I then unplugged the cordless set, and tested the corded phone with my cell phone. Didn't hear a phone ringining. I made sure the volume was at its highest.

I followed that by checking at the outside phone box, armed with the corded phone, a screwdriver to open the box and my cell phone :smile:, and I tested our home line again. The corded phone didn't ring.

I will have to test the corded phone at a friend's place, just to make sure the phone is working (which I know it is).

So I have dial tone, but am not able to receive any calls.

Any thoughts? Thanks

Computer science news on Phys.org
Call Verizon.

1. Why does my landline have a dial tone for outgoing calls but not for incoming calls?

There are a few potential reasons for this issue. It could be a problem with the phone line itself, such as a loose connection or damaged wiring. It could also be an issue with your phone service provider. It's best to contact your provider to troubleshoot and resolve the problem.

2. How can I fix my landline so that it has a dial tone for both outgoing and incoming calls?

If the issue is with the phone line, you may need to check the wiring and connections to make sure everything is properly connected. If the problem is with your service provider, you will need to contact them to resolve the issue. It's also possible that the problem is with your phone itself, in which case you may need to replace it.

3. Can I still make outgoing calls if my landline has no dial tone for incoming calls?

In most cases, yes. As long as the issue is not with your phone service provider, you should still be able to make outgoing calls. However, it's best to contact your provider to confirm that there are no issues on their end.

4. Is it possible for my landline to have a dial tone for incoming calls but not for outgoing calls?

Yes, this is possible. If the issue is with your phone line, it may affect both incoming and outgoing calls. However, if the problem is with your phone service provider, it's possible that they are experiencing issues with their network that are only affecting outgoing calls.

5. How long will it take to fix my landline if it has a dial tone for outgoing calls but not for incoming calls?

This will depend on the specific cause of the issue. If it's a problem with the phone line, it may take a few hours or even a few days for a technician to come and fix it. If the issue is with your service provider, it may take longer for them to resolve the problem. It's best to contact your provider for an estimated timeline.