Electron drift velocity of an electric arc

In summary: Seeing the other thread about "How I view AC" and the talk of drift velocity reminded me of a question I had a number of years back, and never found an answer to ... what is the electron drift velocity of an electric arc? If you have a uniform electric field between two electodes, with a voltage V across a gap d, the electric field is E=V/d. When a gas molecule is ionized, the electron travels toward the positive electrode, and the positive ion toward the negative electrode. The electron is light and moves fast, while the positive ion is heavy and nearly stationary. So only the electron velocity matters. vmax = (2Ex/m)½
Skaperen
Seeing the other thread about "How I view AC" and the talk of drift velocity reminded me of a question I had a number of years back, and never found an answer to ... what is the electron drift velocity of an electric arc? I'd be interested in the wide scope of everything from lightning strikes to "neon" lights. Is there a variation based on gas density? ... temperature? ... pressure? What about a vacuum?

Engineering news on Phys.org
There are a lot of variables to consider for an electrical discharge.

Here's a couple of references from Wikipedia to look at.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plasma_%28physics%29"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corona_discharge"

And these are only overviews.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you have a uniform electric field between two electodes, with a voltage V across a gap d, the electric field is E=V/d.

When a gas molecule is ionized, the electron travels toward the positive electrode, and the positive ion toward the negative electrode. The electron is light and moves fast, while the positive ion is heavy and nearly stationary. So only the electron velocity matters.

If the electron travels a distance x in the electric field, it gains an energy Ex. When the electron collides with a gas molecule, it loses all its energy. If the energy gained is sufficient to ionize the gas molecule, a cascade (arc) starts. The energy required to ionize a gas molecule is shown in the table

http://www.science.co.il/ptelements.asp?s=ionization

For nitrogen and oxygen, the number is about 14 electron-volts. So to create an arc, the free electron has to gain about 14 eV before colliding with a gas molecule, in order to ionize it and create another ion-electron pair.

So how far apart are the gas molecules? From basic physics, 22.41 liters of gas at STP (standard temperature and pressure) contains Avagadro's number of molecules. This is sufficient to calculate the gas density in the electric field. If you double the pressure of a gas, the density doubles, and the distance between gas molecules (between collisions) is halved.

You also need to know the average electron velocity.

The maximum electron energy is Ex=½mv2, where x is the distance between electron collisions with gas molecules, and m and v are the mass and velocity of the electron, so the maximum electron velocity can be calculated. vmax = (2Ex/m)½

Once you know the average velocity vavg and the electrode spacing d. the transit time of the electron in the arc is t=d/vavg.

I haven't told you everything, but I hope this helps.

Bob S

1. What is electron drift velocity?

Electron drift velocity refers to the average speed at which electrons move in a specific direction in an electric field. In other words, it is the velocity of an electron as it "drifts" through a material under the influence of an electric field.

2. How is electron drift velocity measured?

Electron drift velocity can be measured using various techniques, such as Hall effect measurements or time-of-flight measurements. These techniques involve applying an electric field to a material and observing the movement of electrons to determine their average velocity.

3. What factors affect the electron drift velocity in an electric arc?

The electron drift velocity in an electric arc is affected by the strength of the electric field, the temperature of the arc, and the type of material the arc is passing through. Additionally, the presence of impurities or other particles in the material can also affect the drift velocity.

4. How does electron drift velocity play a role in the formation of an electric arc?

Electron drift velocity is a crucial factor in the formation of an electric arc. As the electric field is applied, the electrons start to move and gain kinetic energy, which leads to collisions with other particles and the formation of an arc. The higher the electron drift velocity, the more intense and sustained the electric arc will be.

5. Can the electron drift velocity be controlled in an electric arc?

Yes, the electron drift velocity in an electric arc can be controlled by adjusting the strength of the electric field and the temperature of the arc. Additionally, the type of material the arc is passing through can also affect the drift velocity. By controlling these factors, the intensity and behavior of the electric arc can be altered.