Symbolic manipulation program required

In summary, the conversation is about finding a package that can do symbolic manipulation without specifying a metric, as well as discussing the capabilities of GRtensor and other software packages for general relativity calculations. The speaker suggests using the Excalc package in Reduce as an alternative to GRtensor and asks for clarification on what type of manipulations the listener is looking for. The listener is looking for a way to prove general identities in GR without specifying a specific metric and asks if it is possible to input an arbitrary metric in GRtensor.
krishna mohan
Hi...

I have just started using GRtensor...
I realize that the calculations in GRtensor have to be done only after specifying a metric...

Is there any package which can directly do symbolic manipulation without using the metric?

Physics news on Phys.org
As far as I know, you always have to specify a metric in symbolic manipulation software. Otherwise the software would not know how to "raise" and "lower" indices of vectors, tensors, etc. Of course you always have the possibility to leave the components of the metric as unknown functions.

If you look for an alternative of GRTensor you could try th Excalc package in Reduce: http://www.uni-koeln.de/REDUCE/3.6/doc/excalc/" [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
What sort of manipulations are you looking for? GRTensor makes it easy to manipulate a metric, which you can make as general as you like, Maple makes it easy to manipulate other mathematical thigns like ordinary and differential equations, plus a bunch of other things.

So I'm not getting a clear picture of what you're looking for...

I have to prove some general identities in GR...and not for a particular metric..

In GRtensor, can we put a metric to be arbitrary? Can we just set g_{ab}= g_{ab}(e,f,g,h) where e, f, g and h are arbitrary variables...and not give an explicit form?

1. What is a symbolic manipulation program?

A symbolic manipulation program is a type of software that allows users to manipulate and solve mathematical equations and expressions symbolically. This means that the program can work with variables and symbols, rather than just numerical values.

2. What are some common uses for a symbolic manipulation program?

A symbolic manipulation program can be used for a variety of purposes, such as solving equations, simplifying expressions, and performing calculus operations. It is commonly used in fields such as mathematics, physics, engineering, and computer science.

3. Do I need to have a strong background in math to use a symbolic manipulation program?

While a strong understanding of mathematical concepts can be helpful, it is not necessarily required to use a symbolic manipulation program. Many programs have user-friendly interfaces and provide step-by-step instructions for solving equations and expressions.

4. Are there any free symbolic manipulation programs available?

Yes, there are several free options available, such as Maxima, SymPy, and SageMath. These programs can be downloaded and used on a variety of operating systems.

5. Can a symbolic manipulation program solve any type of equation or expression?

No, there are certain types of equations and expressions that may be too complex for a symbolic manipulation program to solve. Additionally, some programs may have limitations on the types of equations they can handle. It is important to check the capabilities of the specific program you are using.