Does a Universal Neutron Range Graph Exist for Various Materials?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of a range graph for neutrons in matter and the probability of detecting neutrons in different materials. It is mentioned that neutrons do not have a specific range in matter and the probability of detection depends on the material's cross-sections and energy. A potential resource for more information on this topic is suggested.
David Sosa
Hello everyone,

Is there such a thing as range graph as a function of the energy for the neutrons in matter? I have been looking for it all over the web, but I just found the cross sections plotted when the neutron comes from different reactions. Is there a more general graph that discribes the distance a neutron would travel in different materials as a function of its energy?? Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
Neutrons do not have a range in matter the way charged particles do. It is theoretically possible for neutrons to diffuse through any shielding, though it is unlikely if the shield is thick enough. However, neutron attenuation is roughly exponential.

Hey probably should have been more specific. I do realize that neutrons won't interact with matter in the same way as charged particles. However I would like to know what is the probability that a neutron would be detected, for example in a scintillator or a thin material. I think this is possible, even if the rate is extremely low. So that is why I was asking if there exists kind of a "Bethe" plot for neutrons. Thank you.

David Sosa said:
Hey probably should have been more specific. I do realize that neutrons won't interact with matter in the same way as charged particles. However I would like to know what is the probability that a neutron would be detected, for example in a scintillator or a thin material. I think this is possible, even if the rate is extremely low. So that is why I was asking if there exists kind of a "Bethe" plot for neutrons. Thank you.
The range depends on the neutron energy and the type of material. Neutron detectors would contain hydrogenous material because the neutron could lose almost all its kinetic energy to a proton, or a large portion thereof.

The range depends on the macroscopic absorption and scattering cross-sections which depend on the isotopic vector of the media through which the neutron passes. Cross-sections of nuclides are also energy dependent.

1. What is the range of neutrons in matter?

The range of neutrons in matter can vary depending on the type of matter and its density. In general, the range can be anywhere from a few nanometers to tens of micrometers in solid materials.

2. How do neutrons interact with matter?

Neutrons can interact with matter through three main processes: elastic scattering, inelastic scattering, and absorption. Elastic scattering occurs when the neutron simply bounces off the nucleus of an atom. Inelastic scattering results in the neutron transferring some of its energy to the nucleus. Absorption occurs when the neutron is absorbed by the nucleus, resulting in the creation of a new element.

3. What factors affect the range of neutrons in matter?

The range of neutrons in matter is influenced by several factors, including the energy of the neutron, the density and composition of the material, and the presence of any shielding or absorber materials. Additionally, the temperature and pressure of the material can also affect the range of neutrons.

4. How is the range of neutrons used in scientific research?

The range of neutrons is an important parameter in many scientific experiments, particularly in the fields of nuclear physics, materials science, and radiation therapy. By understanding the range of neutrons in different materials, scientists can better design experiments and predict the behavior of neutrons in various situations.

5. What are some applications of controlling the range of neutrons in matter?

Controlling the range of neutrons is crucial in many practical applications, such as in nuclear reactors and medical imaging and treatment. By controlling the range, scientists and engineers can ensure the safe and efficient use of neutrons in these technologies. Additionally, understanding the range of neutrons is also important in developing new materials for various industrial and technological applications.