Sum (sin(Pi*n)/(-1+n^2) , n=1infinity). n=1,2,3

• Thread starter GerardEncina
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sum
In summary: This gives you -\pi/2. In summary, the solution to the damped wave equation involves a Fourier Series expansion with a term that can be simplified to -\pi/2 through L'Hopital's rule.
GerardEncina
Hi everybody!

Solving a PDE for the damped wave equation I get with a solutions that part of it have the expression:

Sum (sin(Pi*n)/(-1+n^2) , n=1..infinity). n=1,2,3...

When calculating it with Maple I get this is equal to -1/2*Pi.

Can someone of you explain me why?

Thanks a lot!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
GerardEncina said:
Hi everybody!

Solving a PDE for the damped wave equation I get with a solutions that part of it have the expression:

When calculating it with Maple I get this is equal to -1/2*Pi.

Can someone of you explain me why?

Thanks a lot!

Did you get that expression from a Fourier Series expansion? Sometimes these sums arise by simply evaluating the FS at some point.

Yes, I'm trying to solve the PDE for the damped wave equations defined like:

u_tt+u_t-u_xx=0,

With Initial Conditions: u(x,0)=0 , u_t (x,0)=sin⁡(x)
And Boundary Conditions u(0,t)=u(Pi,t)=0

Finally I end with the solution u(x,t)=∑(n=1 to ∞) [exp^(-t/2)*(-4sin⁡(Pi*n))*sin⁡(sqrt(4n^2-1)*t/2)*sin(nx) / (Pi*sqrt(4n^2-1)*(-1+n^2))]

From here, there is the expression sin(Pi*n)/(-1+n^2), that for n=1 is 0. But solving it with Maple it gives u(x,t)=2/(3*sqrt(3))*exp^(-t/2)*sin(sqrt(3)*t/2)*sin(x).

I've also found that limit [when n-->1] of sin(Pi*n)/(-1+n^2) = -Pi/2; that plugged on the series give what Maple says.

But I'm still not sure if it is correct or not

Thanks!

GerardEncina said:
Yes, I'm trying to solve the PDE for the damped wave equations defined like:

u_tt+u_t-u_xx=0,

With Initial Conditions: u(x,0)=0 , u_t (x,0)=sin⁡(x)
And Boundary Conditions u(0,t)=u(Pi,t)=0

Finally I end with the solution u(x,t)=∑(n=1 to ∞) [exp^(-t/2)*(-4sin⁡(Pi*n))*sin⁡(sqrt(4n^2-1)*t/2)*sin(nx) / (Pi*sqrt(4n^2-1)*(-1+n^2))]

From here, there is the expression sin(Pi*n)/(-1+n^2), that for n=1 is 0. But solving it with Maple it gives u(x,t)=2/(3*sqrt(3))*exp^(-t/2)*sin(sqrt(3)*t/2)*sin(x).

I've also found that limit [when n-->1] of sin(Pi*n)/(-1+n^2) = -Pi/2; that plugged on the series give what Maple says.

But I'm still not sure if it is correct or not

Thanks!

[itex]\sin(n\pi)[/itex] is zero for any integer n. So, all of your terms except for the first one is zero. The first is treated as non-zero because the denominator vanishes at n = 1. So, you use L'Hopital's rule to evaluate it instead.

Hello!

First of all, it's great to see that you are using Maple to solve your PDE. Now, let's take a look at the expression you have provided:

This is an infinite series, also known as a sum, where the terms are given by sin(Pi*n)/(-1+n^2) and the index n starts at 1 and goes to infinity. In order to find the value of this series, we need to use some mathematical tools and concepts.

Firstly, we need to understand the concept of convergence of infinite series. This means that the sum of all the terms in the series must approach a finite value, as we add more and more terms. In other words, the series must not "blow up" to infinity. In your case, the series is convergent, as the terms become smaller and smaller as n increases.

Next, we need to use a mathematical technique called the ratio test to determine the convergence of the series. Applying this test, we can see that the series converges absolutely, which means that the series converges regardless of the sign of the terms.

Finally, we can use the formula for the sum of a convergent infinite series to find the value of the series. This formula is:

Sum (a_n) = lim n -> infinity (S_n)

where a_n is the nth term of the series and S_n is the nth partial sum of the series. In your case, we have:

a_n = sin(Pi*n)/(-1+n^2)
S_n = Sum (sin(Pi*n)/(-1+n^2) , n=1..n)

Using the formula above, we can show that the value of the series is indeed -1/2*Pi. This can also be verified by using other mathematical techniques such as complex analysis.

In conclusion, the value of the series you have provided is -1/2*Pi and it can be explained using mathematical concepts and techniques. I hope this helps to clarify your question. Keep up the good work with your PDE!

1. What is the formula for calculating Sum (sin(Pi*n)/(-1+n^2) , n=1infinity)?

The formula for calculating Sum (sin(Pi*n)/(-1+n^2) , n=1infinity) is given by:
∑ (sin(π*n)/(-1+n^2)) = sin(π)/(1^2-1) + sin(2π)/(2^2-1) + sin(3π)/(3^2-1) + ... + sin(nπ)/(n^2-1)
This formula is used to find the sum of an infinite series, where n takes on values from 1 to infinity.

2. What is the significance of using Pi in this formula?

The use of Pi in this formula is related to the trigonometric function sin(x). Pi (π) represents the ratio of a circle's circumference to its diameter, and is used in trigonometry to calculate the values of sine, cosine, and other trigonometric functions.

3. How can this formula be applied in real-world situations?

This formula can be applied in various real-world situations, such as in physics, engineering, and mathematics. For example, it can be used to calculate the sum of harmonic series, which has applications in electrical circuits and signal processing. It can also be used to approximate the value of Pi, which has many applications in geometry and physics.

4. What is the convergence of this series?

The convergence of this series depends on the value of n. If n is a positive integer, the series will converge to a finite value. However, if n takes on non-integer values or if n approaches infinity, the series will diverge.

5. Is there a simplified version of this formula?

Yes, there is a simplified version of this formula known as the Euler-Maclaurin formula, which is used to approximate the value of a definite integral. It is given by:
∑ f(n) ≈ ∫f(x)dx + (1/2)(f(a) + f(b)) + (1/12)(f'(a) - f'(b)) + (1/720)(f'''(a) - f'''(b)) + ...
Where f(x) is the function being integrated, a and b are the limits of integration, and f'(x), f''(x), f'''(x) are the first, second, and third derivatives of the function f(x), respectively.