Constant of proportionality

In summary, multiplying the individual constants for each expression and combining them all results in a^3, or a^4 if there are more expressions, but the reason for this is unclear.
autodidude
If a ∝ b and a ∝ c, why do you multiply b and c together to find the constant?

I also noticed something, but am not sure of the reason why. If you find the constants individually for each expression and combine them all, you get a the the power of the number of expressions

e.g.

a ∝ b
a ∝ c
a ∝ d

So the individual constants would be say, k1, k2 and k3 respectively. If you then multiply it all together

a ∝ (k1b)(k2c)(k3d)

You get a^3

If there're expressions, then a^4 etc. All of the numbers I've tried so far have yielded the result but I'm not sure why that's happening

Thanks

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Your question is very confusing.

autodidude said:
If a ∝ b and a ∝ c, why do you multiply b and c together to find the constant?

You don't. If [itex]a\propto b[/itex] and [itex]a \propto c[/itex], then that tells you that [itex]a = k_3 bc[/itex], where k3 is some constant of proportionality. This is because:

Given both [itex]a = k_1(c)b[/itex], where k1(c) is a proportionality factor that you know depends on c, and [itex]a = k_2(b)c[/itex], where k2(b) is a proportionality factor that depends on b, you can divide the two equations to get

[tex]1 = \frac{k_1(c)b}{k_2(b)c},[/tex]

or

[tex]\frac{k_1(c)}{c} = \frac{k_2(b)}{b}.[/tex]

However, by assumption k1 depends only on c and k2 depends only on b, so the only way this relation can hold is if both sides are equal to the same constant, say k3. It follows then that [itex]a = k_3 bc[/itex].

I also noticed something, but am not sure of the reason why. If you find the constants individually for each expression and combine them all, you get a the the power of the number of expressions

e.g.

a ∝ b
a ∝ c
a ∝ d

So the individual constants would be say, k1, k2 and k3 respectively. If you then multiply it all together

a ∝ (k1b)(k2c)(k3d)

You get a^3

If there're expressions, then a^4 etc. All of the numbers I've tried so far have yielded the result but I'm not sure why that's happening

Thanks

I'm not sure what you're talking about here. If a is proportional to all those variables, then [itex]a = k_4bcd[/itex], by similar logic to what I did above. I'm not sure where these powers of a comes from.

1. What exactly is the constant of proportionality?

The constant of proportionality is a mathematical term used to describe the relationship between two variables. It is represented by the letter "k" and is a fixed number that remains the same regardless of the values of the variables. It is often used in direct proportionality equations, where one variable is directly proportional to another.

2. How is the constant of proportionality calculated?

The constant of proportionality is calculated by dividing the value of one variable by the value of the other variable. For example, if the equation is y = kx, then the constant of proportionality, k, can be found by dividing the value of y by the value of x. This will give you a fixed number that represents the relationship between the two variables.

3. Can the constant of proportionality change?

No, the constant of proportionality is a fixed number that does not change. It remains the same regardless of the values of the variables in the equation. However, different equations may have different values for the constant of proportionality.

4. How is the constant of proportionality used in real-life situations?

The constant of proportionality is used in various real-life situations, such as calculating unit rates, determining the relationship between quantities, and solving problems involving direct proportionality. For example, it can be used to calculate how much money you will earn based on the number of hours you work, or how much gas is needed for a car to travel a certain distance.

5. What is the difference between the constant of proportionality and the proportional constant?

The constant of proportionality and the proportional constant are two terms that are often used interchangeably. However, the constant of proportionality is used in direct proportionality equations, while the proportional constant is used in inverse proportionality equations. In other words, the constant of proportionality represents the relationship between two directly proportional variables, while the proportional constant represents the relationship between two inversely proportional variables.