How long does it take to produce H2 in a closed beaker

• Thread starter PeetPb
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Closed
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving the production of hydrogen gas in a closed beaker with specific volume, pressure, and temperature conditions, using a current of 0.7A. The first step was to calculate the amount of hydrogen present, assuming ideal behavior, resulting in approximately 20.515 moles. The question then arises if there is a formula for determining the time needed for electrolysis to produce this amount of H2.
PeetPb
hi,
I've got a problem which I cannot solve. The problem says that How long does it take to produce H2 in a closed beaker with volume 5l pressure 10Mpa and temp. 20 C with a current of 0.7A. First thing I did was to calculate the amount of H2 in that beaker. Assuming that it behaves ideally I calculated that there should be about 20.515 moles of hydrogen. And what now ? Is there any formula for this ?
thanx

Physics news on Phys.org

How fast can you produce the hydrogen gas with a 0.7A current?

what's the time needed for electrolysis to produce that amount of H2

1. How is H2 produced in a closed beaker?

H2 is typically produced in a closed beaker through a chemical reaction between an acid and a metal or through the process of electrolysis.

2. How long does it take to produce H2 in a closed beaker using an acid and a metal?

The time it takes to produce H2 in a closed beaker using an acid and a metal can vary depending on the strength of the acid and the type of metal used. Generally, it can take anywhere from a few minutes to several hours.

3. How long does it take to produce H2 in a closed beaker through electrolysis?

The time it takes to produce H2 in a closed beaker through electrolysis can also vary. It depends on the amount of electricity being used and the concentration of the electrolyte solution. Generally, it can take anywhere from a few minutes to several hours.

4. Can the production of H2 in a closed beaker be sped up?

Yes, the production of H2 in a closed beaker can be sped up by increasing the strength of the acid or the concentration of the electrolyte solution, or by using a more reactive metal. Additionally, increasing the temperature can also speed up the reaction.

5. Is there a limit to the amount of H2 that can be produced in a closed beaker?

Yes, there is a limit to the amount of H2 that can be produced in a closed beaker. The amount of H2 produced will depend on the starting materials and the reaction conditions, but eventually the reaction will reach equilibrium and the production of H2 will stop.