Ground State Energy of Helium Atom - Integration problem

In summary, the conversation discusses a calculation involving the ground state energy of Helium using perturbation theory. The focus is on finding the value of C in a particular integral, which represents the rescaled position vectors of two electrons. The speaker has attempted a solution but is unsure of where to go next and is advised to consult relevant books for further guidance.
thepopasmurf
I'm trying to follow a derivation of the ground state energy of Helium using perturbation theory. I've made it through most of the derivation but I'm stuck at the following integral

Homework Statement

Find the value of C where

[itex]C=\frac{1}{(4\pi)^2}\int d\mathbf{z}_1d\mathbf{z}_2\frac{\exp(-(z_1+z_2))}{|\mathbf{z}_1-\mathbf{z}_2|}[/itex]

To give context to this equation, the vectors z_1 and z_2 are dimensionless rescalings of the position vectors (r_1 r_2) of the two electrons.
[itex]\mathbf{r}_1=\frac{a}{2}\mathbf{z}_1[/itex]
[itex]\mathbf{r}_2=\frac{a}{2}\mathbf{z}_2[/itex]

where a is the Bohr radius.

The integral is to be taken all over space.

Homework Equations

Don't think there are any

The Attempt at a Solution

integrating wrt to z_1 first:

[itex]\frac{1}{(4\pi)^2} \int z_1^2 \sin^2\theta_1 dz_1 d\theta_1 d\phi_1 \frac{\exp{z_1+z_2}}{\sqrt{z_{1}^2 + z_{2}^2 - 2z_1 z_2 \cos\theta_{12}}}d\mathbf{z}_2[/itex]

I basically don't know where to go from here. My first idea to simplify was to make the integral relative and set the z_2 vector to always be the z-axis of the coordinate frame (thus eliminating an angle) but I still couldn't do the integral itself.

Thanks,

Physics news on Phys.org
I think it is discussed in books. You should use certain coordinates (don't remember which), which would simplify the 6-tuple integration.

Books? Cohen-Tannoudji 2nd volume. Bethe & Salpeter (which treat the Helium atom perturbatively), Bransden & Joachain, etc.

1. What is the ground state energy of a helium atom?

The ground state energy of a helium atom is the lowest possible energy level that the atom can have. In other words, it is the energy level in which the electrons are in their most stable and lowest energy configuration.

2. How is the ground state energy of a helium atom calculated?

The ground state energy of a helium atom is calculated using quantum mechanics principles, specifically the Schrödinger equation. This equation takes into account the mass, charge, and potential energy of the nucleus and the electron to determine the lowest energy level.

3. Why is the ground state energy important for studying helium atoms?

The ground state energy is important for studying helium atoms because it provides information about the stability and behavior of the atom. It also helps to understand the electronic structure of the atom and how it interacts with other atoms and molecules.

4. How does the ground state energy of a helium atom compare to other atoms?

The ground state energy of a helium atom is relatively low compared to other atoms. This is due to the fact that helium has a full outer electron shell, making it more stable and less likely to gain or lose electrons. Therefore, it requires less energy to maintain its ground state.

5. Can the ground state energy of a helium atom be changed?

The ground state energy of a helium atom can be changed by altering the external conditions, such as temperature and pressure. It can also be changed by exciting the atom through the addition of energy, which can cause the electrons to jump to higher energy levels.