Is Nose Blowing in Public a Generational Difference?

• Thread starter lisab
  • Start date
In summary: I'm not blowing my nose!In summary, people generally blow their noses in private, but there is a small group of older people who do it in public. Nose blowing is not a generational difference, but it is more common in older people.
I have terrible allergies and wouldn't be able to leave the house if I couldn't sneeze or blow my nose in public. I always carry tissues and I always turn my head away from people, if it's just blowing my nose, I will attempt to go away from people first. But sometimes a sneeze often gives no more than a second's warning, barely time to turn my head. And yes I have hand sanitizer, and the grocery store gives out free sanitizing cloths to wipe clean the grocery cart handles, which I think is brilliant.

Physics news on Phys.org
I always carry tissues with me so I can wipe the snot off the people around me when I sneeze or blow my nose. I'm 16 Celcius.

Ryan_m_b said:
I think it is more of an example of the ever increasing awareness and practice of good hygiene. The biggest issue with blowing one's nose is if you have the facilities available to wash your hands. If not then you could spread pathogens to others from what you touch. Personally I deplore having to touch handholds on buses/trains, door handles in public toilets, buttons in lifts etc without gloves. I think this stems from my MSc that was based in a hospital, I was on the 9th floor and would regularly see people in the lifts (some of whom were obviously sick) cough and splutter over their hands before pressing the button to their floor or using a door handle.

Since I work in a med school adjoined to a hospital, spread of pathogens is especially a concern here too. We have hand sanitizer dispensers next to each elevator and by building entrances. I will admit to being more concerned about tripping over the dispensers on stands that appeared by every doorway one day than about using them, but if I'm heading to the cafeteria or for some other food snack, I do use them after getting off the elevator. While custodians clean the bathrooms daily, and doors and door handles at least once a week to remove fingerprints (and daily on the main entrances), I don't think I've ever seen someone wash an elevator button.

Interesting...

Is there a way to convince Belgium people that using linnen handkerchiefs shouldn't be the norm?

Danger said:
Are you sure? Check into the archives about the Romanian armpit hair trap from about 10 years ago...
Yes, armpit hair traps germs. I don't think Romanian armpits are special that way. Maybe unshaven armpits trap more germs per unit of area than shaven ones. But, as long as one doesn't make a habit of putting one's face into other people's armpits, and considering clothing, and the type of bacteria that inhabit armpits, then the transmission of harmful bacteria from armpits isn't likely, imho.

But the transmission of harmful bacteria from public nose blowing does seem likely. It's just a matter of common courtesy for one to at least try to do one's nose blowing, sneezing, and coughing as far away from others as possible. Of course sometimes it isn't possible.

There are times when I have to carry tissues, and yes, I do blow my nose as needed. I try to be discrete about it, but sometimes addressing a sneeze or an unexpected runny-nose in public (especially in very cold weather) is unavoidable. We are all critters! My dog has sneezing fits once in a while and sometimes he has eye-boogers, too. I won't judge humans more harshly than I judge him.

The "hygiene hypothesis" states that:

wiki said:
a lack of early childhood exposure to infectious agents, symbiotic microorganisms (e.g., gut flora or probiotics), and parasites increases susceptibility to allergic diseases by suppressing natural development of the immune system.

While medical care is a special case (you don't want to give diseases to people who are susceptible to death by cold) I tend towards the hygiene hypothesis... that by being a scared-of-germs white-glove society, we only threaten the development of our children's immune systems.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hygiene_hypothesis

Of course, you can go too far. I'm not saying we shouldn't keep our water and sewage separate or anything. But I think sneezing in public is good for lateral immune information transfer. I try to get my toddler out to play dates as much as I can for both social AND immune development. Toddler's are disgusting, by the way.

Pythagorean said:
The "hygiene hypothesis" states that:
That's very true however as you say the main problem with living in a germ-free environment is how it effects the development of the immune system. Whilst it is a bit of a problem for adults (you want to keep your immune system sharp) it's also annoying to catch bog-standard head colds etc just because people sneeze on their hand and then touch things.

Moral of the story always wash your hands after you sneeze but not before you've rubbed them in a child's face :tongue2:

lisab said:
Me - late 40s, and if I can at all avoid it, I do not blow my nose in public. For one, I think it's icky, and for two, since I'll need to wash my hands afterward anyway I figure it's best to go to the washroom.

+1...

Edit: Except for the age. :biggrin:

precisely! :P

There has been a call for people to blow their noses
onto their sleeves because of viruses being around.
I have seen this advice on the national news.

1) What if you have short sleeves or no sleeves at all?

2) The sleeves (or the insides of your elbows) will become "icky."

checkitagain said:
There has been a call for people to blow their noses
onto their sleeves because of viruses being around.

That's for sneezing, not nose blowing.
Monique, the triggering factor here wasn't bird-flu; it was the SARS outbreak that everyone blamed on we Canuks because it was first noticed in Toronto.
I agree with the Python about bugs, but some are taking that to be strictly a developmental issue. Antibacterial cleansers have two negative effects that I'm aware of. One is that they also kill the good ones that are natural parts of our bodies. I have a very good working relationship with my bacteria, and I don't wish to harm them. The second is that they lead to the evolution of "super bugs" (ie: drug-resistant strains).

Danger said:
Monique, the triggering factor here wasn't bird-flu; it was the SARS outbreak that everyone blamed on we Canuks because it was first noticed in Toronto.
Ah, you're right! The outbreak started in 2002 so that fits, and it's more severe than birds flu. I haven't heard news on it in a long time.

In Alaska, I remember the local rumors were that people were bringing SARS from Japan.

Pythagorean said:
In Alaska, I remember the local rumors were that people were bringing SARS from Japan.

That's probably because as soon as the Japanese realized that passengers from Toronto had landed in Tokyo, everybody in the bloody country started wearing facial filter masks. It was like a George Romero movie over there; not a face to be seen anywhere.

Danger said:
That's probably because as soon as the Japanese realized that passengers from Toronto had landed in Tokyo, everybody in the bloody country started wearing facial filter masks. It was like a George Romero movie over there; not a face to be seen anywhere.

I remember someone explaining to me that they do that when they're sick to not spread disease. Was a third party, though.

We have a lot of people from Japan here. We have a research collaboration with them; also, according to Japanese folklore, babies conceived under the northern lights will have great fortune!

lisab said:
OK y'all, getcher minds out of the gutter!

I made an observation recently and I'd like to know if it's an anomaly. It's about nose blowing. I see only older people blow their noses in public. I wonder if this is a true generational difference.

So I want to know: Has anyone else noticed this? And, do you blow your nose in public, and roughly how old are you?

Me - late 40s, and if I can at all avoid it, I do not blow my nose in public. For one, I think it's icky, and for two, since I'll need to wash my hands afterward anyway I figure it's best to go to the washroom.

I think it's especially unpleasant when people do it in restaurants :yuck:.

I try the best I can never to be in a public place, :), But when I am I could care less about the rest of the public. If I need to blow my nose, I blow my nose. If I am outdoors, it only takes a finger on my off nostril, no tissue needed. :)

I'm an INTJ.

So I sneeze into my hand, wipe my hand on my pants, and then offer to shake hands. That cuts down on the number of people that come up to bother me with greetings.

Between that and me bringing up discussions of how a person should only use one piece of toilet paper (as divided by the perforations on the roll) in order to save the trees, nobody shakes my hand anymore.

Jasongreat said:
If I am outdoors, it only takes a finger on my off nostril, no tissue needed. :)
omg, I saw a homeless guy do this once from a second floor window. I never recovered.

Evo said:
I have terrible allergies and wouldn't be able to leave the house if I couldn't sneeze or blow my nose in public. I always carry tissues and I always turn my head away from people, if it's just blowing my nose, I will attempt to go away from people first. But sometimes a sneeze often gives no more than a second's warning, barely time to turn my head. And yes I have hand sanitizer, and the grocery store gives out free sanitizing cloths to wipe clean the grocery cart handles, which I think is brilliant.

When my anti-viral was wearing off weeks ago, my immune system wents nuts and I found myself sneezing almost 50 times in a row, one sure way to stop it, grab your lower lip (I know this looks stupid, but it works, and not just with me) and squeeze and wiggle back and forth slightly. It stopped the onslaught but not forever. If you catch it before a sudden histamine buildup or right after your last vigorous sneeze it works best.

I have a clarifying question for you mucus officianiado's out there, is clear mucus safer than the stuff with eww... greenish chunks, and does the color indicate presense of active bacteria in it, and if so what are type of bacteria leaves this signature ? There, I just grossed myself out, I hope I didn't gross you out too, well, maybe not... :devil:

Rhody...

Last edited:
DaveC426913 said:
omg, I saw a homeless guy do this once from a second floor window. I never recovered.

Here cyclists do that regularly, especially the semi-profi ones that don't want to lose speed by fetching a tissue. One soon learns to keep appropriate distance, ugh, so gross.

rhody said:
I have a clarifying question for you mucus officianiado's out there, is clear mucus safer than the stuff with eww... greenish chunks, and does the color indicate presense of active bacteria in it, and if so what are type of bacteria leaves this signature ? There, I just grossed myself out, I hope I didn't gross you out too, well, maybe not... :devil:

Rhody...

Yes. Yellow or green mucus is filled with dead bacteria and (I think) white corpuscles.

I can't remember the reason for the green in the bacteria, but I think there was a thread on it here a few years ago.

A similar thread, though it does not explicitly say what the colour is due to:
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=229363&highlight=mucus+green+bacteria&page=3
I recall hearing from someone that it has to do with the size of the bacteria and light scattering.

After all of the discussion in this thread, I have now concluded one should never blow your nose in public. I will stick with picking my nose from now on. And, since those elevator buttons are pretty germy, I'll remember if on an elevator to pick my nose before I push the button, otherwise I might transfer nasty bacteria from the button to my nose. Another successfully educational topic courtesy of PF. :biggrin:

this thread makes me feel like a big jerk for using a public computer while I have a cold :(

Moonbear said:
After all of the discussion in this thread, I have now concluded one should never blow your nose in public. I will stick with picking my nose from now on. And, since those elevator buttons are pretty germy, I'll remember if on an elevator to pick my nose before I push the button, otherwise I might transfer nasty bacteria from the button to my nose. Another successfully educational topic courtesy of PF. :biggrin:

I always use my index proximal interphalangeal joint to press whatever button in public places. :biggrin:

Moonbear said:
I will stick with picking my nose from now on.
Go to a plastic surgeon and pick your nose.

ThomasT said:
Yes, armpit hair traps germs. I don't think Romanian armpits are special that way. Maybe unshaven armpits trap more germs per unit of area than shaven ones. But, as long as one doesn't make a habit of putting one's face into other people's armpits, and considering clothing, and the type of bacteria that inhabit armpits, then the transmission of harmful bacteria from armpits isn't likely, imho.

It wasn't germs that were being trapped; it was men.
Ah, never mind. You kinda had to be there...

As people age, they are allowed to do more and more "inappropriate things". Once you hit about ~75 you can just fart/burp/blow your nose anywhere you want.

Which is more distracting while in class/meeting/gathering - the occassional nose blow or the constant sniffling?

Personally, I'd rather hear the occassional nose blow.

I'm almost 30, American, and it's never dawned on me that blowing your nose in public was considered rude. Are there situations (resturants, etc) where doing it discretely is neccessary? Absolutely. But if I see some random person in a mall pull a (clean) tissue out of their pocket, blow into it, then toss it right away - it wouldn't phase me in the slightest.

During the dog days of summer, I keep a linen hankerchief (sp?) in my pocket to wipe sweat from my face (especially if I am not wearing a hat, I have to keep extra shirts around too). I wouldn't really ever dream of blowing my nose into it and placing it back in my pocket - but sweat? Is there really that much of a difference? :p

mege said:
Is there really that much of a difference?
Between sweat and mucous?

My part of the world is the USA. Age; young enough to have viewed the original airing of Star Trek. I do blow my nose in public as the need arises (typically shortly after sneezing). Venue really doesn't enter into it (ballgame, restaurant, theater). I use tissue or a handkerchief, whichever happens to be handy.
Having allergies, I take antihistimines regularly. So my nose is dry most of the time unless I happen to have a cold or exposed to a high load of airborne allergens. If I have the opportunity I will blow my nose in the shower or use warm water from a faucet which facilitates loosening mucous.

In this discussion of nasal mucous, I notice comments of gross and icky, suggesting
feelings of repulsion and disgust. This reminds me of a recent SciFri podcast with a
discussion on the psychology of disgust.

Why people find certain things disgusting? Is it cultural, Is it learned behavior?
In one country spitting or blowing your nostrils in the street is normal behavior,
yet other societies would find this repulsive or gross. Foot odour is considered disgusting, yet there are many who delight in aroma of Munster, Bel Paese and Limburger cheese. In my neck of the woods, farmers spread manure in open fields after mucking out the barns. Some folks would retch at this odour. I find it tolerable and a pleasant reminder of the upcoming gardening season.

(the rest of the podcast is a good listen. If you're interested, here is the main link to their science podcasts
http://www.sciencefriday.com/audio/scifriaudio.xml

If it's at all possible to avoid I never blow my nose in public. I'll "dab it" if I'm having a major allergy attack or the onset of headcold. My father would pull out his handkerchief, shake it out and "blow his bugle" as a doctor quite descriptively put it and it was embarrassing. Another family member would do the same but not nearly as loud or as frequently. But that family member like to scratch the inside of his ear with a car key. Luckily he didn't do it in public. My social "flaw" is my sneezes will topple tall buildings and having serious allergies I sometimes sneezed 100 times in the morning and late at night. A bit annoying to family members but I've never been able to stifle a sneeze.

netgypsy said:
If it's at all possible to avoid I never blow my nose in public. I'll "dab it" if I'm having a major allergy attack or the onset of headcold. My father would pull out his handkerchief, shake it out and "blow his bugle" as a doctor quite descriptively put it and it was embarrassing. Another family member would do the same but not nearly as loud or as frequently. But that family member like to scratch the inside of his ear with a car key. Luckily he didn't do it in public. My social "flaw" is my sneezes will topple tall buildings and having serious allergies I sometimes sneezed 100 times in the morning and late at night. A bit annoying to family members but I've never been able to stifle a sneeze.

I can often stifle a sneeze but most folks can't, so I put sneezes in a different category than nose-blowing.

I guess there is too much of a cultural overlay to really decide if there is an age bias to public nose blowing.

I think it is age related because younger people, particularly guys, don't carry handkerchiefs any more. I had to go to about 5 stores to find handkerchiefs for a Christmas gift for a family member who just likes to have one so that his lady won't have to sit on a dirty bench for example. Some women seem to carry tissues but many of the younger women don't carry a bag. They just stuff some cash, credit card, driver's license in a pocket. So most will go to a restroom or blow in the car simply because there is nothing for them to blow on.

Really gross - blowing on a cloth napkin in a restaurant. I confess to having done this ever so gently when I had sneeze attack and couldn't get to a bathroom but I felt terrible about the bus staff having to remove the sodden napkin so I folded it up really small and stuffed it in a glass.

I carry tissues in my truck, and have some on my desk at home, so I can stuff a few into a pocket when I go out. If I have to blow my nose, I do so. I try to be discrete about it, but sometimes you just have to.

<h2> 1. What is the definition of "nose blowing in public"? </h2><p> Nose blowing in public refers to the act of blowing one's nose in a public setting, such as on the street, in a store, or in a restaurant. </p><h2> 2. Is nose blowing in public considered rude? </h2><p> This is a subjective question and opinions may vary. Some people may find it rude or offensive, while others may see it as a natural bodily function and not think much of it. </p><h2> 3. Is there a generational difference in attitudes towards nose blowing in public? </h2><p> Studies have shown that there may be a generational difference in attitudes towards nose blowing in public. Older generations tend to view it as impolite and something that should be done in private, while younger generations may be more accepting of it. </p><h2> 4. What are the potential health risks of nose blowing in public? </h2><p> Nose blowing in public can potentially spread germs and bacteria to others, especially if the person does not properly cover their nose and mouth while blowing. This can increase the risk of spreading illnesses, such as colds or the flu. </p><h2> 5. How can we address the generational difference in attitudes towards nose blowing in public? </h2><p> One way to address this difference is through education and awareness. By educating people on the potential health risks and proper etiquette of nose blowing in public, we can promote a more respectful and considerate attitude towards this issue. Additionally, promoting the use of tissues and hand sanitizer can also help prevent the spread of germs. </p>

1. What is the definition of "nose blowing in public"?

Nose blowing in public refers to the act of blowing one's nose in a public setting, such as on the street, in a store, or in a restaurant.

2. Is nose blowing in public considered rude?

This is a subjective question and opinions may vary. Some people may find it rude or offensive, while others may see it as a natural bodily function and not think much of it.

3. Is there a generational difference in attitudes towards nose blowing in public?

Studies have shown that there may be a generational difference in attitudes towards nose blowing in public. Older generations tend to view it as impolite and something that should be done in private, while younger generations may be more accepting of it.

4. What are the potential health risks of nose blowing in public?

Nose blowing in public can potentially spread germs and bacteria to others, especially if the person does not properly cover their nose and mouth while blowing. This can increase the risk of spreading illnesses, such as colds or the flu.

5. How can we address the generational difference in attitudes towards nose blowing in public?

One way to address this difference is through education and awareness. By educating people on the potential health risks and proper etiquette of nose blowing in public, we can promote a more respectful and considerate attitude towards this issue. Additionally, promoting the use of tissues and hand sanitizer can also help prevent the spread of germs.