Fewest number of segments to identify a know symbol

• Thread starter jdlinke
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Symbol
In summary, the conversation is about finding the smallest group of segments that must be monitored in order to determine the identity of all the symbols in a known set of symbols for an electronic seven-segment display. The conversation discusses different approaches and patterns, but the best mathematical tool to solve this problem is still unknown. It is suggested that this may be related to Coding Theory, and a possible solution is presented using a generating matrix and vectors.
jdlinke
This question started out as a thought experiment on a flight home from Japan a couple years ago. I've toyed with it since, but I don't know the best approach. I'm hoping someone can guide me in the right direction. I don't want the answer straight out, I'm mainly looking for a good way to approach the problem.

I may be making this more difficult than it needs to be.

Suppose you have an electronic seven-segment display, like the image I've attached. It's the sort you find on your radio, your alarm clock, etc. Given a *known set of symbols* (for instance, the digits 0-9), I want to figure out the smallest group of segments that must be monitored in order to determine the identity of all the symbols in the known set of symbols.

For instance, the digit '0' requires segments a, b, c, e, f, g. The digit '1' requires segments c, f.

As a way of abstracting this problem, I tried extending it to a simple binary table. For instance, this table lists all the combinations of the segments for each symbol (0-9) in a seven-segment display.

Code:
……………	.	Digits									
……………	.	0	1	2	3	4	5	6	7	8	9
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Segments	a	1	0	1	1	0	1	1	1	1	1
……………	b	1	0	0	0	1	1	1	0	1	1
……………	c	1	1	1	1	1	0	0	1	1	1
……………	d	0	0	1	1	1	1	1	0	1	1
……………	e	1	0	1	0	0	0	1	0	1	0
……………	f	1	1	0	1	1	1	1	1	1	1
……………	g	1	0	1	1	0	1	1	0	1	0

From this you can see that we could remove segments 'f' and 'g', and still be able to determine the identity of each digit, because the column for that digit remains unique. But is this the smallest number of segments required? And how could that be proven, other than iterating through each possible combination?

Alternatively, if we remove segments 'e', 'f', and 'g', there is now ambiguity. Digits 2 & 3, 5 & 6, and 8 & 9 can no longer be identified uniquely.

I've tried breaking it down to simpler problems using just two or three segments (like the other attached image) and making up arbitrary sets of symbols for these, and trying to figure out how to determine the smallest group of segments required to determine the identity of all the symbols in the set, but I'm having no luck. I see patterns, but I don't have enough math education background to find identify the best tools to solve this problem.

It's kind of driving me nuts. Can anyone point me in the direction of which mathematical tool(s) would be appropriate for figuring something like this out?

Attachments

• 7-Segment Display.png
    7-Segment Display.png
    909 bytes · Views: 388
  • 3-Segment Display.png
    3-Segment Display.png
    1.3 KB · Views: 363
Mathematics news on Phys.org
This seems like a Coding Theory related question. I took the class 1.5 years ago so I don't remember everything, but is something like this a viable answer?

Generating Matrix G:
[itex]
\left(
\begin{array}{ccccc}
1 & 0 & 0 & 1 & 1 \\
0 & 1 & 0 & 1 & 0
\end{array}
\right)
[/itex]

Vectors V:

[itex]
\left(
\begin{array}{ccccc}
0 & 0 & 0 & 0 & 0 \\
1 & 0 & 0 & 0 & 1\\
0 & 1 & 0 & 1 & 1\\
1 & 1 & 0 & 1 & 0\\
0 & 0 & 1 & 0 & 0\\
1 & 0 & 1 & 1 & 0\\
0 & 1 & 1 & 1 & 1\\
1 & 1 & 1 & 0 & 1\\
\end{array}
\right)
[/itex]

Basically, for [itex]v \in V, \quad v \cdot w = 0, \quad \forall w \in G[/itex] if I remember correctly. I'll try to explain some more if you need more.

1. How do you determine the fewest number of segments needed to identify a known symbol?

The fewest number of segments needed to identify a known symbol is determined by analyzing the complexity of the symbol and identifying the critical features that are essential for its recognition. These critical features are then used to design a segmentation algorithm that can accurately identify the symbol using the fewest number of segments possible.

2. What factors influence the number of segments needed for symbol identification?

The complexity of the symbol, the clarity and contrast of the image, and the accuracy of the segmentation algorithm are all factors that can influence the number of segments needed for symbol identification. Additionally, the size and orientation of the symbol can also play a role in determining the optimal number of segments.

3. Can the number of segments needed for symbol identification vary for different symbols?

Yes, the number of segments needed for symbol identification can vary for different symbols. Symbols with simpler and more distinct shapes may require fewer segments, while symbols with more complex and overlapping features may require more segments for accurate identification.

4. How do you ensure that the fewest number of segments used for symbol identification still maintains a high level of accuracy?

To ensure that the fewest number of segments used for symbol identification maintains a high level of accuracy, the segmentation algorithm must be carefully designed and tested. This includes considering various image qualities, symbol sizes, and orientations to create a robust algorithm that can accurately identify symbols with minimal segments.

5. Are there any limitations to using the fewest number of segments for symbol identification?

While using the fewest number of segments for symbol identification is ideal for efficiency and simplicity, there may be some limitations. In some cases, using a larger number of segments may result in more accurate identification, especially for symbols with intricate or overlapping features. Additionally, certain symbols may require a minimum number of segments for accurate identification, regardless of the complexity of the symbol.