Exploring Group Elements and Associativity Axiom Patterns in a Table

In summary, while studying groups, the conversation touches on the topic of patterns and arrangements in group elements represented in a table, specifically looking at the associativity axiom. The conversation also mentions interesting properties of group multiplication tables, such as being a latin square and not having repeating elements in any row or column. However, it is noted that recognizing these patterns may not necessarily lead to deducing important properties of a group. The conversation suggests looking into combinatorics for a deeper exploration of these topics.
dijkarte
While studying groups,

Is there a common pattern/arrangement of the group elements represented in a table?

Is there a pattern for the associativity axiom?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
A pretty interesting property is that the multiplication table of a (finite) group is a latin square.

In addition to this, another property I noticed is that there must be one column and one row containing elements in the same order as listed in the table header, and correct me if I'm wrong...

But what's the pattern for associativity?

dijkarte said:
But what's the pattern for associativity?
No idea... I don't think there is one.

But a noticeable pattern in any group table is that no element repeats in any row (or column). A proof of that is a nice, short exercise.

Cancellation law does it.

r * c = x
r * c[j] = x

==> r * c = r * c[j]
==> c = c[j] (cancellation law)
which is not allowed, repeating elements of the set.

In other words, each row (or column) is a permutation of the elements of the group... a fact that will have some protagonism later on in your course, so remember this. (I don't want to spoil the ending of the movie :)

I see it as a restricted form of permutation where it depends on the selected permutations of other rows/columns.

How many finite groups can be generated from a set S and an operation * defined on S such that they are of order |s|, same number of elements?

I looked at Dummitt and Fotte quickly but it does not seem to have any illustrations and tables...barely mentioned in exercises which have no solutions. Is there any text that goes deeper into details?

dijkarte said:
it does not seem to have any illustrations and tables...barely mentioned in exercises which have no solutions. Is there any text that goes deeper into details?

I don't know of any standard text on group theory that emphasizes the multiplication tables of groups. I think the reason for this is that most of the significant theorems about the structure of groups don't tell you how to deduce their multiplication tables. It also isn't simple to recognize many important properties of a group by looking for a certain pattern in its multiplication table.

An elementary book about groups with some visual appeal is "Groups and Their Graphs" by Grossman and Magnus. However, it doesn't emphasize the multiplication tables of groups.

This kind of subject is really more the domain of combinatorics than abstract algebra, since most interesting (algebraic) properties of groups can't necessarily be deduced from their Cayley tables. You might try picking up, say, Cameron's Combinatorics, which has some good chapters on latin squares, quasi-groups, and finite geometry that tackle these kinds of things.

1. What are group elements?

Group elements are mathematical objects that can be combined with a specific operation (such as addition or multiplication) to form a group. Examples of group elements include numbers, matrices, and functions.

2. What is the associativity axiom?

The associativity axiom is a fundamental property of group elements. It states that when performing a series of operations on three or more elements, the order of operations does not matter. In other words, the result will be the same regardless of how the operations are grouped.

3. How can group elements be represented in a table?

Group elements can be represented in a table by listing the elements in rows and columns and filling in the table with the results of the operation between each pair of elements. This is known as a Cayley table or multiplication table.

4. What is the purpose of exploring group elements and associativity axiom patterns?

The purpose of exploring group elements and associativity axiom patterns is to better understand the properties and relationships of group elements. This can help in solving mathematical problems and creating new mathematical concepts and theories.

5. Can the associativity axiom be applied to non-numeric elements?

Yes, the associativity axiom can be applied to non-numeric elements as long as they satisfy the requirements of a group, such as having an operation that is closed, associative, and has an identity element. Non-numeric examples of group elements include words, functions, and geometric shapes.