Graphing Cartesian Products and Unions: Set Theory Sketches

In summary, the conversation is discussing how to graph sets using the Cartesian product and union operations. The speaker is unsure how to graph examples such as ([0,1] U {2}) X [1,2] and ([0,1] U {2}) X ([1,2] U {3}) and asks for clarification. The expert explains that the sets can be graphed as rectangular areas in the Cartesian plane, with the X-axis representing one interval and the Y-axis representing the other. They also mention the importance of using curly braces when specifying sets.
cubicmonkey
So the book asks me to sketch out these graphs, and of course there are no examples. I was wondering how this is done.

(a) [0,1] X [1, 2] // The X here stands for the Cartesian product.

(b) ([0,1] U {2}) X [1,2] // How can I graph this? The U stands for Union and the X here stands for the Cartesian Product.

(c) ([0,1] U {2}) X ([1,2] U {3}).// Again, the U stands for Union and the X here stands for the Cartesian Product.

Physics news on Phys.org
I imagine they mean rectangular areas in the [itex]\mathbb{R}^2[/itex] plane. For the (a) example, set one interval in the X-axis and the other in the Y-axis; this defines a rectagular area (the points which x is in [0,1] and which y is in [1,2]).

Thanks, DODO that was what I suspected for part a, but parts b and c still mystify me.

([0,1] U {2})

For example what would this look like?

cubicmonkey said:
([0,1] U {2})

For example what would this look like?

Think of your Venn diagrams. If you have two sets A and B and you have A U B then you can have anything that is both A and B. If you have A [itex]\bigcap[/itex] B then you have any element that is both A and B. This is the definition of these two binary operators.

Again if you get stick think of the Venn diagram graphically of what A [itex]\bigcup[/itex] B and A [itex]\bigcap[/itex] B in terms of pictures and then use that intuition to think of what the symbols mean.

Simplify anything with [itex]\bigcup[/itex] and [itex]\bigcap[/itex] and then take the cartesian product after.

So I uploaded my guess at it. What do you think? Is (b) correct? Does ([0,1] U {2}) simply become [0,1,2], which could be read as [0,2]?

Attachments

• Set Theory Sketch(2).jpg
    Set Theory Sketch(2).jpg
    20 KB · Views: 386
cubicmonkey said:
So I uploaded my guess at it. What do you think? Is (b) correct? Does ([0,1] U {2}) simply become [0,1,2], which could be read as [0,2]?

You have to be careful with your notation.

Usually when we want to describe a discrete (countable) set, we usually specify every element in the set and not just the first and last element. When we are talking about a continuous set like all real numbers from 0 to 2 inclusive then we say [0,2]. It is probably a better idea to specify your set as [0,1,2] just so there is no confusion. Your answer is right of course but your [0,2] to mean {0,1,2} is misleading: (also when we talk about sets we always put them in curly braces like {0,1,2}: [0,2] is usually used for describing intervals like 0 <= x <= 2)

So for the sets {0,1} U {2} = {0,1,2} remember to use the curly braces just so no-one gets confused :)

1. What is "Set Theory Sketches"?

"Set Theory Sketches" is a mathematical framework that studies the properties of sets and their relationships. It is a branch of mathematical logic that is widely used in various fields of mathematics, computer science, and philosophy.

2. What are the basic concepts of Set Theory Sketches?

The basic concepts of Set Theory Sketches include sets, elements, subsets, operations on sets (such as union, intersection, and complement), and relations between sets (such as equality and inclusion).

3. What are the applications of Set Theory Sketches?

Set Theory Sketches has many applications in mathematics, computer science, and philosophy. It is used in the foundations of mathematics to provide a rigorous framework for mathematical reasoning. It is also used in computer science to study algorithms and data structures. In philosophy, it is used to formalize philosophical concepts and arguments.

4. What are the different types of sets in Set Theory Sketches?

There are several types of sets in Set Theory Sketches, including finite and infinite sets, empty sets, and singleton sets. There are also special types of sets, such as power sets, universal sets, and disjoint sets.

5. How is Set Theory Sketches related to other areas of mathematics?

Set Theory Sketches is closely related to other areas of mathematics, such as abstract algebra, topology, and analysis. It provides a foundation for these areas and is used to define important mathematical concepts, such as groups, rings, and topological spaces.