About basis of the honeycomb lattice

In summary: There is no mistake in writing it, but there is a mistake in understanding it.In summary, the conversation discusses the basis of the honeycomb lattice in the book "Condensed Matter Physics" second edition. There are three different bases described, each with different translations and rotations relative to the first. The second set is translated by a[1/2,0] and the third set is rotated by 60 degrees. There is no mistake in the book's description, but there may be a misunderstanding of the first set.
KFC
Hi there, I am reading the book "Condensed Matter Physics" second edition by Michael P. Marder. It stated in page 9 that one basis of the the honeycomb lattice is

[tex]
\vec{v}_1 = a [0 \ 1/(2\sqrt{3})], \qquad
\vec{v}_2 = a [0 \ -1/(2\sqrt{3})]
[/tex]

which is based on figure 1.5(B) in page 10. But in that case when two (vertical) atoms are bind together, so should this basis be

[tex]
\vec{v}_1 = a [0 \ \sqrt{3}/2], \qquad
\vec{v}_2 = a [0 \ -\sqrt{3}/2]
[/tex]

By the way, why the primitive vectors are given as that in 1.6a and 1.6b

[tex]
\vec{v}_1 = (1/6 \ 1/6) , \qquad \vec{v}_2 = (-1/6 \ -1/6)
[/tex]

it said [tex](\vec{a}_1 + \vec{a}_2)/6 = \vec{v}_1[/tex]

But
[tex]
\vec{a}_1 = a(1 \ 0), \qquad \vec{a}_2 = a (1/2 \ \sqrt{3}/2)
[/tex]

why [tex](\vec{a}_1 + \vec{a}_2)/6 = \vec{v}_1[/tex]?

Physics news on Phys.org
This is confusing. How can v1, v2 be a basis when v1 = -v2?? You should scan the page and put it up (double-check the Forum rules first .. I'm not an expert). Few people are so eager to help that they would go to the library and check out the book. You have to make the helpers' life easy.

sam_bell said:
This is confusing. How can v1, v2 be a basis when v1 = -v2?? You should scan the page and put it up (double-check the Forum rules first .. I'm not an expert). Few people are so eager to help that they would go to the library and check out the book. You have to make the helpers' life easy.

Sorry for the confusing ... and sorry also the book has been returned to the library and I don't have one now. But one thing I could explain here, in solid state physics, in some book 'basis' mean the combination of atoms only, nothing to do with the basis vector, so it is possible to have v1=-v2 in that case.

All three bases describe a honeycomb lattice, when combined with Bravais vectors a1, a2. The second set (v1 = a[0, sqrt(3)/2] and v2 = a[0, -sqrt(3)/2]) is translated by a[1/2,0] relative to the first. The third set (v1 = a1/6 + a2/6 and v2 = -a1/6 -a2/6) is rotated by 60 degrees relative to the first.

sam_bell said:
All three bases describe a honeycomb lattice, when combined with Bravais vectors a1, a2. The second set (v1 = a[0, sqrt(3)/2] and v2 = a[0, -sqrt(3)/2]) is translated by a[1/2,0] relative to the first. The third set (v1 = a1/6 + a2/6 and v2 = -a1/6 -a2/6) is rotated by 60 degrees relative to the first.

Thanks for your reply. I get the point now. So, there is a mistake to write [tex]\vec{v}_1 = a [0 \ 1/(2\sqrt{3})], \qquad
\vec{v}_2 = a [0 \ -1/(2\sqrt{3})][/tex] in the book, right?

KFC said:
Thanks for your reply. I get the point now. So, there is a mistake to write [tex]\vec{v}_1 = a [0 \ 1/(2\sqrt{3})], \qquad
\vec{v}_2 = a [0 \ -1/(2\sqrt{3})][/tex] in the book, right?

Err, no. That's what I was referring to as the "1st" set.

1. What is the honeycomb lattice?

The honeycomb lattice is a geometric arrangement of hexagonal cells in a flat plane, similar to the structure of a beehive. It is a common pattern found in nature and has been studied extensively by scientists for its unique properties.

2. What is the basis of the honeycomb lattice?

The basis of the honeycomb lattice is the repeating unit that makes up the entire structure. In this case, the basis is a single hexagonal cell that is repeated infinitely to create the lattice. This basis is important for understanding the overall structure and properties of the lattice.

3. What are the properties of the honeycomb lattice?

The honeycomb lattice has several unique properties that make it interesting to scientists. These include its high strength-to-weight ratio, thermal conductivity, and ability to efficiently distribute stress. It is also known for its regular and symmetrical structure, making it useful for various applications in engineering and materials science.

4. How is the honeycomb lattice used in science and technology?

The honeycomb lattice has many practical applications in science and technology. It is commonly used in the aerospace industry for lightweight and strong structures, as well as in thermal management systems. It is also utilized in the design of materials for filters, energy storage, and electronic devices.

5. What are the current research developments related to the honeycomb lattice?

Scientists continue to study the honeycomb lattice for its potential applications and to better understand its properties. Recent research has focused on creating new materials with enhanced properties, such as increased strength or thermal conductivity. There is also ongoing research into developing new techniques for manufacturing and manipulating the honeycomb lattice at different scales.