Poor nutrition leading to overeating?

• Medical
  • Thread starter 11thHeaven
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Nutrition
In summary, the conversation discusses the idea that the lack of nutrition in commonly consumed food may lead to overeating and obesity. The increase in portion size, the abundance of fatty and sugary foods, and evolutionary cravings are also mentioned as contributing factors. The conversation also touches on the personal experiences of the speakers and a recent publication about the link between childhood obesity and asthma.
11thHeaven
A friend of mine is quite taken with the idea that the lack of nutrition in typically consumed food is causing our bodies to crave more food (to make up the missing nutrients), leading to overeating and obesity.

I'm quite sceptical of this supposed link but I'd love to hear the opinions of people more well versed in the science of our anatomy.

Biology news on Phys.org
We overeat because:

1. Portion size has been increasing over the decades
-because food is cheap and easy to mass produce
-because people want "more bang for their buck"

2. Because things which we are evolutionarily programed to crave (fats and sweet sugars) are in abundance and easily obtainable

I think for most Americans portion size is probably the bane of their midsection.

bobze said:
I think for most Americans portion size is probably the bane of their midsection.

Yes, I agree that a good majority of Americans appear to be overweight though I don't see too much of it where I live. Also, I don't consider myself being overweight. I'm an adult female that weights 103-113 lbs. Today I grazed throughout the day from a large bowl filled with diced spinach, an egg, two slices of chopped chicken, 6 lima beans, a handful of diced tomatoes, 3 tablespoons raisons, 1/3 cup white cheese, diced carats, ¼ cup sunflower seeds, and two teaspoons of sesame dressing. :approve:Very interesting recent publication I thought you might enjoy reading from the peer-reviewed journal Nature on Pediatric Obesity(1041–1047. doi:10.1038/oby.2012.5):Higher Prevalence of Obesity Among Children With Asthma: http://www.nature.com/oby/journal/v20/n5/full/oby20125a.html

1. What are the health consequences of poor nutrition leading to overeating?

Poor nutrition leading to overeating can have serious consequences on one's health. It can lead to obesity, which increases the risk of developing chronic diseases such as diabetes, heart disease, and certain types of cancer. Overeating can also cause nutrient deficiencies, which can lead to various health problems such as anemia, weak immune system, and poor bone health.

2. How does poor nutrition affect our eating habits?

Poor nutrition can affect our eating habits in several ways. When our bodies do not receive adequate nutrients, we may experience cravings for unhealthy foods, leading to overeating. Poor nutrition can also disrupt our body's natural hunger and satiety signals, causing us to eat more than necessary. Additionally, it can affect our mood and energy levels, making it more challenging to resist unhealthy food choices.

3. What are some common causes of poor nutrition leading to overeating?

There are several factors that can contribute to poor nutrition leading to overeating. A diet high in processed and unhealthy foods, lack of access to nutritious food options, emotional eating, and busy lifestyles are all common causes. In some cases, underlying medical conditions or medication side effects can also lead to overeating.

4. How can we prevent poor nutrition from leading to overeating?

To prevent poor nutrition from leading to overeating, it is essential to focus on consuming a balanced and nutritious diet. This includes incorporating a variety of fruits, vegetables, whole grains, lean proteins, and healthy fats into our meals. It is also crucial to listen to our body's hunger and fullness cues and practice mindful eating. Planning and preparing meals ahead of time can also help prevent unhealthy food choices when we are busy or stressed.

5. What are some strategies for overcoming poor nutrition and overeating?

Overcoming poor nutrition and overeating can be challenging, but there are several strategies that can help. Consulting with a registered dietitian can provide personalized advice and support. Keeping a food diary can also help track eating patterns and identify areas for improvement. Building a support system and finding healthy coping mechanisms for emotional eating can also be beneficial. Gradual changes and setting achievable goals can lead to sustainable long-term changes in nutrition and eating habits.