Bohr's Atomic Model: Exploring Differences & Effects on Spectra

In summary, the Bohr model of the atom differs from a planetary model based on classical physics in that electrons don't spiral into the nucleus. The electron would only spiral into the nucleus if it lost its kinetic energy. So the only way for the electron to be stable would be if its kinetic energy was constant. If the energy levels were quantized, then the spectra would look different, but if they were continuous, then discontinuities corresponding to different energy levels would be visible.
Omid
I need help with these 3 questions:
1. Describe the Bohr model of the atom. How does it differ from a planetary model based on classical physics?
========================
2. In terms of the Bohr theory why is that electrons don't spiral into the nucleus?
========================
3. If atomic energy levels were not quantized, but could vary within certain limits, what colud atomic spectra look like?

Physics news on Phys.org
In principle questions 1 and 3 would be automatically answered as you read the relevant portions from your physics textbook. For question 2 you need to know a Bohr postulate which explained it. The electron wouldn't spiral into the nucleus unless it lost kinetic energy. So the only we could have a stable rotational condition if the kinetic energy would be constant throught the uniformly circular trajectory. This was explained with the help of Stationary Orbits...in which the electron would rotate without radiating energy. You might think this has something to do with standing waves on a stretched string and you would be right...but I'll leave the reading to you.

I re-read question 3 and I have the following short answer, if you mean that the energy levels are continuous. The spectra would be continuous too as energy wouldn't be quantized and so the wavelengths would be continuous functions as well. So you wouldn't be able to recognize discontinuities corresponding to different energy levels in the spectra.

Surely I have done the reading, these are the quetions of that chapter.
I don't get what happened to the classical physics principle, the one that said: a charged mass radiates when it accelerates.

Did Bohr model reject that principle? Or we still believe in it?

P.S I'm studing chemistry :)

That principle is totally inaccurate in the atomic (subatomic) world...It's in the realm of MACROSCOPIC PHYSICS,namely classical electrodynamics...

Daniel.

Thank you

dextercioby said:
That principle is totally inaccurate in the atomic (subatomic) world...It's in the realm of MACROSCOPIC PHYSICS,namely classical electrodynamics...

Omid said:
P.S I'm studing chemistry :)

Thats why.....

What is Bohr's Atomic Model?

Bohr's Atomic Model, also known as the Bohr Model, is a scientific theory proposed by Niels Bohr in 1913 to explain the structure and behavior of atoms. It is a simplified representation of the atom as a small, positively charged nucleus surrounded by orbiting electrons at specific energy levels.

How does Bohr's Atomic Model differ from previous models of the atom?

Bohr's Atomic Model differs from previous models, such as the Plum Pudding Model and the Rutherford Model, by incorporating the idea of quantized energy levels for electrons. In other words, electrons can only exist at specific distances from the nucleus, and they can only move between these levels by absorbing or emitting a specific amount of energy.

What are the effects of Bohr's Atomic Model on atomic spectra?

One of the main effects of Bohr's Atomic Model on atomic spectra is the explanation of the line spectrum of hydrogen. This model predicts that when an electron moves from a higher energy level to a lower one, it emits a photon of light with a specific wavelength, resulting in the observed discrete lines in the spectrum. This also led to the development of the concept of atomic energy levels and the understanding of atomic structure.

What are the limitations of Bohr's Atomic Model?

Although Bohr's Atomic Model was groundbreaking in its time, it has some limitations. It does not fully explain the behavior of atoms with more than one electron, and it does not take into account the wave nature of electrons. It also cannot explain the fine details of atomic spectra, leading to the development of more advanced models, such as the quantum mechanical model.

How does Bohr's Atomic Model contribute to our understanding of the atom today?

Bohr's Atomic Model laid the foundation for our current understanding of atomic structure and behavior. It introduced the concept of quantized energy levels and the idea that electrons occupy specific orbits around the nucleus. It also opened the door for further research and development of more advanced models, leading to the modern quantum mechanical model of the atom.