Trapping the exact value of the integral

In summary: I will try to draw it on the diagram and see if that helps. In summary, the area of a typical rectangle in the Midpoint Rule is the same as the trapezoid ABCD whose upper side is tangent to the graph at P. The area of this trapezoid is closer to the area under the graph than is the area of the trapezoid AQRD used in the Trapezoidal Rule.
DivGradCurl
If [tex]f[/tex] is a positive function and [tex]f^{\prime \prime}(x) < 0[/tex] for [tex]a\leq x\leq b[/tex], show that

[tex]T_n < \int _a ^b f(x)\: dx < M_n[/tex]

where:

[tex]T_n[/tex] is the Trapezoidal Rule.
[tex]M_n[/tex] is the Midpoint Rule.

In my textbook (Calculus: concepts and contexts / James Stewart. --- 2nd ed. --- page 419), there is a figure with the following caption:

"The area of a typical rectangle in the Midpoint Rule is the same as the trapezoid [tex]ABCD[/tex] whose upper side is tangent to the graph at [tex]P[/tex]. The area of this trapezoid is closer to the area under the graph than is the area of the trapezoid [tex]AQRD[/tex] used in the Trapezoidal Rule."

In other words, provided that the concavity remains the same, we can trap the exact value of the integral between the trapezoidal and midpoint sums for any number of subdivisions.

Maybe, it can be used as the answer. However, I think I'd be better to express that in mathematical terms. So, here's what I've got:

[tex]\frac{h}{2}\left\{ f(a) + 2f(a+h) + 2f(a+2h) + \dots + 2f\left[ a + (n-2)h \right] + 2f\left[ a + (n-1)h \right] + f\left( a + nh \right) \right\}[/tex]​

[tex]<[/tex]​

[tex]\int _a ^b f(x)\: dx[/tex]​

[tex]<[/tex]​

[tex]h \left\{ f\left( a + \frac{h}{2} \right) + f\left( a + \frac{3h}{2} \right) + f\left( a + \frac{5h}{2} \right) + \dots + f\left[ a + \frac{(2n-3)h}{2} \right] + f\left[ a + \frac{(2n-2)h}{2} \right] + f\left[ a + \frac{(2n-1)h}{2} \right] \right\}[/tex]​

which can be written as

[tex]\frac{1}{2} f(a) + f(a+h) + f(a+2h) + \dots + f\left[ a + (n-2)h \right] + f\left[ a + (n-1)h \right] + \frac{1}{2} f\left( a + nh \right) [/tex]​

[tex]<[/tex]​

[tex]\int _a ^b f(x)\: dx[/tex]​

[tex]<[/tex]​

[tex]f\left( a + \frac{h}{2} \right) + f\left( a + \frac{3h}{2} \right) + f\left( a + \frac{5h}{2} \right) + \dots + f\left[ a + \frac{(2n-3)h}{2} \right] + f\left[ a + \frac{(2n-2)h}{2} \right] + f\left[ a + \frac{(2n-1)h}{2} \right][/tex]​

Am I on the right track? What should I do next?

Any help is highly appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello, I cannot provide much help in terms of getting to the desired result using symbols but I have got the solution for that question. I can post it here or PM it to you if you want. In any case the solution does not necessarily have to be presented symbolically as you have done. The solution my solution manual has is relatively concise. As a hint I think you should draw a diagram, consider a general curve(that is, sketch it on the diagram) and use the fact that f''(x) < 0. This means that the curve is concave down. The diagram on page 419 should help you get started.

Benny said:
Hello, I cannot provide much help in terms of getting to the desired result using symbols but I have got the solution for that question. I can post it here or PM it to you if you want. In any case the solution does not necessarily have to be presented symbolically as you have done. The solution my solution manual has is relatively concise. As a hint I think you should draw a diagram, consider a general curve(that is, sketch it on the diagram) and use the fact that f''(x) < 0. This means that the curve is concave down. The diagram on page 419 should help you get started.

Hey Benny, I'm sorry I wasn't able to get back to you sooner. My instant notification by email probably didn't go through. Anyway, it seems that the graph in page 419 along with its caption (found in my 1st post) already give the answer. If you have anything else that I miss, please let me know.

Thanks

1. What is the purpose of "Trapping the exact value of the integral"?

The purpose of trapping the exact value of the integral is to accurately calculate the area under a curve, which can be represented by an integral. This allows for precise calculations and predictions in various scientific and mathematical fields.

2. How is the exact value of an integral determined?

The exact value of an integral is determined by evaluating the integral using various mathematical techniques, such as substitution or integration by parts. In some cases, numerical methods may also be used to approximate the exact value.

3. Why is it important to trap the exact value of the integral?

Trapping the exact value of the integral is important because it allows for accurate and precise calculations in various fields, such as physics, engineering, and economics. It also helps to avoid errors and inaccuracies that may arise from using approximations or estimations.

4. What are some common techniques used to trap the exact value of the integral?

Some common techniques used to trap the exact value of the integral include the fundamental theorem of calculus, integration by parts, substitution, and numerical methods such as the trapezoidal rule or Simpson's rule.

5. Can the exact value of an integral always be determined?

In some cases, the exact value of an integral may not be possible to determine, particularly for complex functions. In these cases, numerical methods may be used to approximate the value. However, for simpler functions, the exact value can typically be determined using mathematical techniques.