Thermo, Temperature profile of rod

In summary, the rod's temperature changes uniformly along its length, but the temperature at any given point changes depending on the radius at that point. The heat entering the rod at a given point is proportional to the radius at that point, and the heat leaving the rod at a given point is proportional to the radius squared.
digipony

Homework Statement

Consider a rod that is 1m long whose radius changes from 1cm at one end to 4cm at the other end in a uniform fashion. Assume that the end with r=1cm i kept at 0°C and that the end with r=4cm is kept at 100° C. Determine the temperature profile along the rod. One can assume that at any position along the rod the temperature is uniform across its cross section. Hint: Determine an expression for the incrimental change in temperature, dT, at any position x along the rod and integrate to get a general expression for the total temperature change between the ends of the rod. Remember that the heat flowing through any cross section of the rod is constant.

Homework Equations

H=(kaΔT)/x
A=∏r^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I think what I have done so far is wrong, as I have trouble with integral problems. (My problem is with setting them up, not solving them). I tried to follow the hint given, but i am stuck. Here is what I have so far:
(Hx)/(kA) = ΔT
dΔT=[Hdx]/[k∏(dr)^2]
ΔT=∫H/[k∏(dr)^2]dx (This is supposed to be aDefinite integral from 0 to 1-couldn't figure out the format).
ΔT= H/[k∏(dr)^2] and here is where I get stuck, and think I set up the equation wrong, as 1/dr doesn't exist. Any help would be greatly appreciated. :)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Write an expression for the area of the rod radius as a function of its length, x. Use that expression in formulating the differential equation that equates the heat entering a slice of length dx to the heat leaving at x+dx. The derivation of the ODE is similar to the case for 'standard' 1-D conduction except the area (pi*radius^2) is within the derivative operator that you get from using the first term of a Taylor series expansion to evaluate the heat leaving at x+dx. Integrate the differential equation and evaluate the two constants of integration by the boundary conditions.

Thanks!

1. What is a temperature profile of a rod?

A temperature profile of a rod is a graphical representation of how the temperature changes along the length of a rod. It shows how the temperature varies from the hot end to the cold end of the rod.

2. How is the temperature profile of a rod measured?

The temperature profile of a rod can be measured using a thermometer or a thermal imaging camera. The rod is heated to a certain temperature and then the temperature is measured at various points along its length.

3. What factors affect the temperature profile of a rod?

The temperature profile of a rod is affected by factors such as the material of the rod, its length, diameter, and the rate at which it is heated or cooled. The environment in which the rod is placed also plays a role in the temperature profile.

4. How does the temperature profile of a rod change over time?

The temperature profile of a rod changes over time as the rod cools down or heats up. Initially, the temperature profile will be steep, but as the rod reaches thermal equilibrium, the temperature will become more uniform along its length.

5. Why is the temperature profile of a rod important?

The temperature profile of a rod is important because it can help us understand how heat is transferred through the rod and how it will behave in different environments. This information can be used in a variety of applications, such as designing heating or cooling systems, predicting thermal expansion, and understanding the behavior of materials under different temperatures.