Calculating Components of 4D Fully Antisymmetric Tensor

In summary, the conversation is about a four-dimensional tensor that is fully antisymmetric and has only one independent component. The individual is seeking to prove this using combinatorics by calculating the number of zero components and using the formula (256-N)/2^6=1. They are unsure of how to accurately calculate the number of zero components and are seeking assistance. They are also referencing Graßmann algebras and their dimension.
Funzies
As the title suggests I am working on some general relativity and combinatorics seems to be my ever-returning Achilles heel. I have a four dimensional tensor, denoted by g_abcd with a,b,c,d ranging between 0 and 3, which is fully antisymmetric, i.e.: it is zero if any of the two (or more) indices are equal. Intuitively, I know that this tensor has only one independent component, but I would like to prove it using combinatorics.

My idea is as follows: the tensor has 4^4 = 256 components --> calculate all zero components N --> (256 - N)/2^6 should be one, as 4 unequal indices can be arranged in 6 ways, so that every arrangements cuts the number of independent components in half.

I believe this is correct, but correct me if I am wrong. The tricky part is calculating the number N. My idea: N = #(2 indices equal) + #(3 indices equal) + #(4 equal).
Obviously: #(4 equal) = 4 and #(3 equal) = 4*4*3 = 48. Then:
#(2 indices equal) = #(2 equal, other two equal) + #(2 equal, other not equal) = 36 + 12*4*3*2*0.5 = 180.
This would yield N = 180 + 4 + 36 = 232, which is obviously not correct.

Can anyone help me? Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org

1. What is a 4D fully antisymmetric tensor?

A 4D fully antisymmetric tensor is a mathematical object with four indices that represents a set of components that are completely antisymmetric with respect to the exchange of any two indices. In simpler terms, it is a multidimensional array of numbers that follows a specific pattern of sign changes when the indices are swapped.

2. How do you calculate the components of a 4D fully antisymmetric tensor?

To calculate the components of a 4D fully antisymmetric tensor, you first need to determine the number of unique components based on the number of indices and the dimensions of the tensor. Then, you can use a specific formula to determine the sign of each component based on the order of the indices. Finally, you can plug in the values for the indices to calculate the actual numerical value of each component.

3. What are the applications of calculating components of 4D fully antisymmetric tensors?

Calculating components of 4D fully antisymmetric tensors is commonly used in mathematical physics and engineering, particularly in fields related to electromagnetism, relativity, and fluid dynamics. These tensors can also be used to represent physical quantities such as angular momentum and stress in a compact and elegant way.

4. Can you give an example of a 4D fully antisymmetric tensor?

One example of a 4D fully antisymmetric tensor is the Levi-Civita symbol, which is commonly used in vector calculus and differential geometry. It has four indices and its components follow a specific pattern of sign changes when the indices are swapped, making it a fully antisymmetric tensor.

5. Are there any special properties of 4D fully antisymmetric tensors?

Yes, there are several special properties of 4D fully antisymmetric tensors. One of the most important is the fact that they are invariant under coordinate transformations, meaning that their components remain the same regardless of the coordinate system used. Additionally, these tensors have a specific symmetry property known as skew-symmetry, which means that they are equal to the negative of their own transpose.