How to find Density of states numerically?

In summary, you can use the equation g(\epsilon) = \sum_{k} \delta(\epsilon - \epsilon_k) to calculate the density of states numerically.
PRB147
If one has already known the dispersion dataset,
for example, for 2D crystal, we know the 1000*2000 dataset for E=E(k_x,k_y),
How to find the density of states numerically?

Physics news on Phys.org
Equation (8.63) from Ashcroft and Mermin will be helpful. I have listed it below for convenience:

##g_n(\mathcal{E})=\int_{S_n(\mathcal{E})} \frac{dS}{4\pi^3}\frac{1}{|\nabla\mathcal{E}_n(k_x,k_y,k_z)|}##

I know you want to know how to compute density of states numerically. I was referring to this formula merely to give an insight behind the procedure involved in doing this computation. So what is happening in the above formula is this: in k-space you have found a surface with equal energy ##\mathcal{E}## and you are integrating the quantity ##|\nabla\mathcal{E}_n(\textbf{k})|^{-1}## over the surface. In other words, this integral is "counting" the number of states that lie on this surface of equal energy. This is the density of states by definition. Now, in your data set, you pretty much have to: (1) pick an energy ##\mathcal{E}## (2) determine how many data points, which are indexed by ##(k_x,k_y)##, have an energy ##\mathcal{E}(k_x,k_y)## such that ## \mathcal{E} \le \mathcal{E}(k_x,k_y) \le \mathcal{E} + \Delta \mathcal{E}##. Then your density of states will be i.e. ##g(\mathcal{E}) = N(\mathcal{E})/\Delta \mathcal{E}##, where ##N(\mathcal{E})## is the number of data points are counted.

Last edited:
Thank you very much, PhysTech. Thank you!

The easy way to do this numerically is to use the equation [tex]g(\epsilon) = \sum_{k} \delta(\epsilon - \epsilon_k)[/tex]
and use an approximation for the delta function. Basically you setup a grid for your energies E, initialize your density of states function g(E) on those points to zero, and then loop over your momentum (and band index) and add the delta function approximation to your g(E).

daveyrocket said:
The easy way to do this numerically is to use the equation [tex]g(\epsilon) = \sum_{k} \delta(\epsilon - \epsilon_k)[/tex]
and use an approximation for the delta function. Basically you setup a grid for your energies E, initialize your density of states function g(E) on those points to zero, and then loop over your momentum (and band index) and add the delta function approximation to your g(E).
Numerically, it seems that the dos is calculated from the integration over BZ through the so called tetrahedron methods. But I have no experience on that.

Thank Daveyrocket and PhysTech very much, discussion is always helpful

I've used daveyrocket's method with a Lorentzian of small width in the past. Not sure if this is the most efficient approximation for the delta function, but it's real easy to work with.

1. How do I calculate the density of states numerically?

To calculate the density of states numerically, you need to first obtain the energy spectrum of the system using a numerical method such as density-functional theory or tight-binding approximation. Then, you can use the formula for density of states (DOS) which is given by: DOS(E) = sum over all states of delta(E - En), where En is the energy of the nth state and delta is the Dirac delta function. Finally, you can plot this DOS(E) curve to visualize the density of states.

2. What are the units of density of states?

The units of density of states depend on the system being studied. In general, DOS has units of (energy)^-1 * (volume)^-1. For example, in condensed matter physics, DOS is often expressed in units of (eV)^-1 * (angstrom)^-3.

3. How does temperature affect the density of states?

Temperature has an effect on the density of states as it can cause changes in the energy spectrum of the system. At higher temperatures, electrons have more thermal energy and are able to occupy higher energy states, resulting in a broader DOS curve. At absolute zero temperature, the DOS curve would narrow down to a delta function.

4. Can I use software to calculate the density of states?

Yes, there are various software packages available that can calculate the density of states numerically. These include electronic structure codes such as VASP, Quantum ESPRESSO, and ABINIT, which use first-principles methods to obtain the energy spectrum and calculate the DOS.

5. How can the density of states be experimentally measured?

The density of states can be experimentally measured using techniques such as angle-resolved photoemission spectroscopy (ARPES), scanning tunneling microscopy (STM), and x-ray absorption spectroscopy (XAS). These methods involve probing the energy levels of electrons in a material and can provide valuable information about the DOS.