Dynamics Problem: Calculating Tension in a Pulley System with Two Masses

• Thread starter deliveryman
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Dynamics
In summary, the conversation involves a person seeking help with a physics problem involving two masses and a pulley. They provide their work and calculations, but are stuck on finding the tension on the hook. After receiving assistance, they realize that they forgot to account for the tension on the second mass and correctly calculate it to be 144N.
deliveryman
Ok, it's 3am and I can't seem to get the answer that concurs with the answer in the back of the book, I went over my work 10 times and I don't see any mistakes in my work!

10. Two masses of 6 kg and 9 kg respectively are fastened to the pull ends of a cord passing over a light, frictionless pulley supported by a hook. Find the pull on the hook while the masses are in motion.

Here's my work:

Fnet = (M1 + M2)(A)
Fnet = (-6 kg + 9 kg)(10 m/s^2) The 6 is negative because it's going upward (opposite to the 9, which is going downward)
Fnet = 3(10m/s/s)
Fnet = 30 N

Now to find the acceleration of the system:

As = Fnet / M1 + M2
As = 30 / 6 + 9
As = 30 / 15
As = 2m/s^2

We have the acceleration, now we just find the Tension between the first or second mass and the hook.

Fnet = M1(As)
Fg1 + FT = M1(As)
Ft = M1(As) - Fg1
Ft = 6(2m/s^2) - (-60)
Ft = 12 + 60
Ft = 72N

It says the Answer should be 144N. Maybe I'm missing something because it's 3am, but please someone help? I'm dead tired and I have no idea what went wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Tension between the first mass and the hook is 72N. What about the second mass and the hook?

The hook is holding both of them up, after all.

Lol! Wow how could've I missed that, the hook is holding them both up, i forgot about the other tension. Silly me, so I take the tension of one end and mutiply it by 2, since both the tensions are equal, just in opposite directions, which would give me 144N. Thanks enigma, can't believe I missed that.

What is a pulley system and how does it work?

A pulley system is a mechanical device that consists of a wheel with a grooved rim and a rope or cable that runs along the groove. It is used to change the direction of a force, making it easier to lift or move heavy objects. The rope or cable is looped around the wheel, and as one end is pulled, the object attached to the other end is lifted or moved.

What is tension and how is it calculated in a pulley system?

Tension is the force exerted by a string, rope, or cable on an object. In a pulley system, tension is the same throughout the entire rope or cable, and it is equal to the weight of the object being lifted. To calculate tension, you can use the equation T=mg, where T is the tension, m is the mass of the object, and g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s²).

How does the number of pulleys affect the tension in a pulley system?

The number of pulleys in a system does not affect the tension. Tension is dependent on the weight of the object being lifted and the angle at which the rope or cable is pulled. However, adding more pulleys can reduce the effort required to lift the object, as the weight is distributed among multiple ropes or cables.

What is the difference between static and dynamic tension in a pulley system?

Static tension refers to the tension in a pulley system when the object is not moving. It is equal to the weight of the object. Dynamic tension, on the other hand, refers to the tension when the object is in motion. It is also equal to the weight of the object, but it may vary as the object moves due to changes in the direction of the applied force.

How does the mass of the objects in a pulley system affect the tension?

The mass of the objects in a pulley system affects the tension in a direct proportion. This means that as the mass of the objects increases, the tension also increases. This is because the weight of the objects is directly related to their mass, and tension is equal to the weight of the objects. So, an increase in mass results in an increase in tension.