Disk speed NON UNIFORM and UNIFOR CIRCULAR MOTION

In summary, it seems that the refrence dot will move at a speed of 8.38 m/s when motion is uniform circular.
sevens
A computer disk is 8.0cm in diameter. a refrence dot on the edge of the disk is initially located at theta= 45 degrees.

The disk accelerates steadily for 1/2 second, reaching 2000 rpm, then coasts at steady angular velocity for 1/2 second.

what is the speed of the refrence dot at 1 second. answer is in m/s.

it seems to me that the first half second of this problem could be ignored, since after the first 1/2 second we stop accelerating and are in Uniform Circular Motion.

so I thought i would use v = ( 2(pi)r ) / T.
i knew my radius was .04m.

and to find T i did ( 2000 rev) * (1 min / 60 sec) = 33.33 rev/sec

my V ended being .0075 m/s this answer is wrong and I am not sure if it is because i ignored the first half second of the problem, i just don't see how that ties into finding the velocity at 1 second. i figured that if it was coasting steadily at 2000 RPM it turns into a unifor circular motion problem

:yuck:

any help is apreciated, thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
sevens said:
it seems to me that the first half second of this problem could be ignored, since after the first 1/2 second we stop accelerating and are in Uniform Circular Motion.
Good.
Good.

T is the period, the time for one revolution (sec/rev). You calculated the inverse of the period (rev/sec).

sevens said:
A computer disk is 8.0cm in diameter. a refrence dot on the edge of the disk is initially located at theta= 45 degrees.

The disk accelerates steadily for 1/2 second, reaching 2000 rpm, then coasts at steady angular velocity for 1/2 second.

what is the speed of the refrence dot at 1 second. answer is in m/s.

my V ended being .0075 m/s this answer is wrong and I am not sure if it is because i ignored the first half second of the problem, i just don't see how that ties into finding the velocity at 1 second. i figured that if it was coasting steadily at 2000 RPM it turns into a unifor circular motion problem

:yuck:

any help is apreciated, thanks.

You have a bit of a problem with dimensional analysis here. First of all, you're working way too hard! Secondly, T is the PERIOD of revolution, i.e. it has the dimension of time. If you look above, you have T having units of rev/sec. This is a frequency, not a period.

Start with the fact that you know that

[tex]v = r \omega[/tex]

This is one of those problem in which you could solve it if you know what each of these symbols mean PHYSICALLY. Here, [tex] \omega [/tex] means angular velocity or angular frequency, and it has units of radians/second. If an object makes one completely rotation in 1 second, then it has an angular velocity of [tex] 2 \pi/sec [/tex].

Now look at yourproblem. When it is coasting with constant angular velocity, it is rotating at 2000 rpm, or rotations per minute. It means that in one minute, it is making 2000*2pi radians of rotations. This is the angular velocity [tex] \omega [/tex]! If you convert the minute into seconds, you have now the angular velocity in rad/sec, just what you need to solve this problem.

Notice that what I did above made very little use of "formulas". All I did was make use of the definitions of each of the quantities involved and extract the values I need from those definitions.

Zz.

Last edited:
Thanks for the help

what i did was take my answer of 33.33 rev/sec and did (1/33.33rev/sec) to find the amount of time per rotation or period T. giving me .03 sec. now that i knew the right T i could solve my equation

v= (2(pi)r)/T = (2(pi)(.04m))/.03 sec = 8.38 m/s

thanks for all the help. :smile:

1. What is non-uniform circular motion?

Non-uniform circular motion is the type of motion in which an object moves along a circular path at a varying speed. This means that the object does not cover equal distances in equal time intervals, unlike in uniform circular motion.

2. What factors affect disk speed in non-uniform circular motion?

The factors that affect disk speed in non-uniform circular motion include the radius of the circular path, the mass of the disk, and the force acting on the disk, such as friction or gravity.

3. How is disk speed calculated in uniform circular motion?

In uniform circular motion, the disk speed can be calculated by dividing the circumference of the circular path by the time it takes for the disk to complete one full revolution. This is also known as the tangential speed or linear speed.

4. Why is disk speed non-uniform in circular motion?

The disk speed is non-uniform in circular motion because the direction of the velocity vector is constantly changing, resulting in a varying speed. This is due to the acceleration caused by the centripetal force that keeps the object moving in a circular path.

5. Can a disk have both uniform and non-uniform circular motion?

Yes, it is possible for a disk to have both uniform and non-uniform circular motion. For example, a disk on a horizontal surface with a constant force acting on it may experience uniform circular motion on a frictionless surface, but as the surface becomes rougher, the motion may become non-uniform due to the effects of friction.