Period of Oscillation for a Meter Stick Suspended by a Light String

In summary, the problem is to determine the period of oscillation for a meter stick suspended by a 0.502m long string. Various attempts such as T=2pi*sqrt(L/g) and w=sqrt(g/l) have been made but have been proven to be incorrect. The key to solving this problem may lie in the masses of the string and meter stick, which have not been provided. However, the instructor has stated that the problem is solvable, possibly by considering the string and meter stick to be in line with each other.
ness9660
A meter stick, suspended at one end by a 0.502m long light string, is set into oscillation. Determine the period of oscillation in seconds.

At first I thought this would be a rather simple problem, so I did T=2pi*sqrt(L/g) but apparently this is very wrong.
Then I tried w=sqrt(g/l) T=(2pi)/w but this seems to be wrong as well.

But I can see no other way to do this problem using just the length and g.

Can anyone offer any insight into solving this problem?

Thanks for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
This is a physical pendulum.U should be given the masses of the string & the meter stick,too.Something is either fishy,or is something i just don't see.

Daniel.

dextercioby said:
This is a physical pendulum.U should be given the masses of the string & the meter stick,too.Something is either fishy,or is something i just don't see.

Daniel.

My instructor said the problem is solvable, but yeah, all we get is the length of the string and g.

ness9660 said:
but apparently this is very wrong.

In what way?

ness,

Do you think your instructor was picturing the string and the meter stick being in line with each other. If so, I think you can solve this.

What are oscillations?

Oscillations are periodic or repetitive motions that occur around a central point or equilibrium position. They can be found in a variety of systems such as springs, pendulums, and sound waves.

How do I solve problems related to oscillations?

To solve problems related to oscillations, you will need to use equations that describe the motion of the system, such as the equations for simple harmonic motion or the equations for damped and forced oscillations. You will also need to understand the physical principles behind these equations and how to apply them to different situations.

What factors affect the frequency of oscillations?

The frequency of oscillations is affected by the stiffness of the system, the mass of the object, and the amplitude of the oscillation. It is also affected by external factors such as friction and damping.

How do I graph oscillations?

To graph oscillations, you will need to plot the displacement or position of the object against time. The resulting graph will typically be a sinusoidal curve, with the amplitude and period of the oscillation determined by the physical properties of the system.

What are some real-world applications of oscillations?

Oscillations have many real-world applications, including timekeeping devices such as pendulum clocks, musical instruments, and earthquake detection systems. They also play a crucial role in understanding and analyzing systems in fields like engineering, physics, and biology.