Determining spur gear diameter given distance between shafts

In summary, the conversation discusses creating a 4 speed gearbox and calculating the diameter of the spur gears. The speaker asks for a calculator or formula to aid in this process, and suggests using a reference from a website. They also mention the importance of considering the gear ratio and tooth size when designing the gears.
Varthrix
Hello guys, first of all excuse me if I make mistakes, but English is not my native language.
So, I am creating a 4 speed gearbox, I know the ratios of the gears I will be creating, I know the distance between the primary shaft ( the one coming for the engine`s flywheel ) and the secondary shaft ( the one that turns the differential ) and I want to be able to calculate the diameter of the spur gears. Can you give me a calculator or a formula on how to do this?

Engineering news on Phys.org
If you know the ratio of a gear pair then you know their pitch circle radii because the gears must share the space between the shafts in proportion to their ratio.

You must then work out the closest integer ratio to identify the number of teeth on each gear. Those teeth must be big enough to carry the load and small enough to not interfere or undercut.

Try this;
http://www.qtcgears.com/QTC_Redo/Product-Technical-Information/Worm-Gears-Technical-Information.htm

Get the technical reference .pdf at the bottom of this page;
http://www.khkgears.co.jp/en/gear_technology/guide_info.html

Last edited by a moderator:

1. How is the distance between the shafts measured?

The distance between the shafts is typically measured from the center of one shaft to the center of the other shaft.

2. What is the formula for determining spur gear diameter?

The formula for determining spur gear diameter is Gear Diameter = Distance Between Shafts / (Number of Teeth on Gear 1 + Number of Teeth on Gear 2).

3. Can the number of teeth on the gears affect the gear diameter?

Yes, the number of teeth on the gears directly affects the gear diameter. The larger the number of teeth, the larger the gear diameter will be.

4. Are there any other factors that can impact the determination of spur gear diameter?

Yes, other factors such as the pitch of the gears, the pressure angle, and the gear module can also affect the determination of spur gear diameter.

5. What are some common methods for determining spur gear diameter?

Some common methods for determining spur gear diameter include using equations and formulas, using gear design software, and consulting gear design handbooks and tables.