Tracing/tracking a stolen computer

• Thread starter aleemudasir
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Computer
In summary, if you do not have any spy/anti-theft programs installed on your stolen computer, your options for tracing or tracking it are very limited. Software solutions are not effective as they can be easily removed by the thief. Your best bet is to have a lojack installed in the BIOS that cannot be easily removed from the system. However, even this can be defeated by a tech-savvy thief. MAC IDs are not a reliable way to track a stolen computer, and even if you know the MAC address, it is difficult to trace without the cooperation of local ISPs. Ultimately, without any program installed on the computer to "call home", the chances of locating the stolen device are slim.
aleemudasir
What are the most efficient ways to trace/track down a stolen computer, if you don't have any spy/anti-theft programs installed? What can you do on your own individual/personal level to trace/track your computer apart from informing police and all that.

Computer science news on Phys.org
Programs are no good. Any thief with even half a brain will know to wipe/remove the hard drive. Software solutions are not effective. You will need to have a lojack installed in the BIOS that cannot be easily removed from the system.
These bios firmwares connect to the internet and install themselves in the hard drive (even if it's brand new) and communicate the location of the system, which can then be tracked. This can be defeated as well but it's not something trivial like removing the hard drive.

Are you trying to protect a current PC or has it already been stolen?

aleemudasir said:
What are the most efficient ways to trace/track down a stolen computer, if you don't have any spy/anti-theft programs installed? What can you do on your own individual/personal level to trace/track your computer apart from informing police and all that.

If you don't have anything installed in the hardware or firmware (not, as Routaran pointed out, in the software) then in terms of ability to track it, your computer is no different than your favorite door-stop or a brick off the side of your house.

Greg Bernhardt said:
Are you trying to protect a current PC or has it already been stolen?

It's been stolen.

Can't I use mac ids to track it down?

Routaran said:
Programs are no good. Any thief with even half a brain will know to wipe/remove the hard drive. Software solutions are not effective. You will need to have a lojack installed in the BIOS that cannot be easily removed from the system.
These bios firmwares connect to the internet and install themselves in the hard drive (even if it's brand new) and communicate the location of the system, which can then be tracked. This can be defeated as well but it's not something trivial like removing the hard drive.

It's been stolen in India where thieves sell whatever they get hand on, for few bucks, they aren't any tech-savy(mostly). These thieves just try to get their hands on anything that's going to pay for their night booze. Even the police here hasn't got any senses, let alone thieves.

I'm sure the thief won't change hard-disk or any other thing, he's going to sell it as it is. So I need to know the most efficient way to track my laptop.

MAC ids are stored in firmware, can mac ids be modified/manipulated?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm afraid this may be a lost cause.

MAC ID's are unique but they aren't tracked in a manner that is useful for locating computers. Only the initial DHCP server you connect to will know your mac address, everything else will only see an IP. You would need to let every local ISP know what the MAC address is and gain their cooperation in checking to see if any of their servers picked it up. (This assumes you already know what your system's MAC address is, if you don't then this is a dead end)

If the DHCP happens to be a wireless router at home, then there's no way for the outside world to see it. Unfortunately, since you don't have something on the system that will "call home", I do not think there's a reasonable chance to locate the device. Sorry :(

Likes 1 person

1. How can I track my stolen computer?

There are a few ways to track a stolen computer. If you have installed tracking software or enabled the built-in tracking feature on your computer, you can use it to locate the device's current location. You can also try contacting your local law enforcement agency and providing them with the serial number or any other identifying information about your computer to assist in the recovery process.

2. Can I remotely access my stolen computer?

If you have installed remote access software on your computer, you may be able to log in and access any files or data that may help track down the thief. However, it is important to contact law enforcement before attempting to access your stolen computer remotely, as it may pose a safety risk.

3. Will my computer's built-in tracking feature still work if it is turned off?

In most cases, no. The built-in tracking feature on most computers requires the device to be turned on and connected to the internet in order to function. If the thief has turned off your computer or disconnected it from the internet, the tracking feature will not work.

4. How can I prevent my computer from being traced or tracked by the thief?

If your computer is stolen, the best way to prevent it from being traced or tracked by the thief is to change your login passwords and contact your bank or credit card companies to cancel any saved payment information. Additionally, you can report the theft to your local law enforcement and provide them with the serial number or identifying information of your computer.

5. Is there a way to protect my personal data if my computer is stolen?

Yes, there are a few steps you can take to protect your personal data if your computer is stolen. First, be sure to regularly back up your data to an external hard drive or cloud storage. You can also consider encrypting your hard drive to prevent unauthorized access to your files. In the event of a theft, you should also contact your bank or credit card companies to cancel any saved payment information.