Influence of magnetic fluid in magnetic force

In summary, the conversation discusses the potential use of ferrofluid to increase magnetic forces in electrical devices, specifically in situations where reducing the air gap is not a practical solution. The potential benefits of using ferrofluid include increased efficiency and power to weight ratio. However, there are still many unknowns about the behavior of ferrofluid in terms of viscosity, pressure gradients, and heat generation. Further experimentation and research is needed to fully understand its potential applications.
curioso77
Looking for a way to increase magnetic forces in electrical devices, an option is reduce the air gap, but some times it is not a practicable solution.

The question is what happened if we put a ferrofluid between the magnets?

Imagine the following situation: a closed volume composed by a non magnetic tube and two magnets in N-S orientation at the ends. First case, air between magnets. Second case, ferrofluid filling the gap.

Is the force in the second case bigger that force in first case?

The ferrofluid has more magnetic permeability, but my doubt is about pressure gradients inside the fluid . I do not know if the pressure is constant along the tube or we have a higher pressure at the ends. If it is the case, do it balance the increment in force due to a higher magnetic permeability in the medium?

I did not make the experiment. What do think about that?
please remember that a ferrofluid has magnetic particles inside, and it experiment forces due to magnetic fields.

Physics news on Phys.org
curioso77 said:
Looking for a way to increase magnetic forces in electrical devices, an option is reduce the air gap, but some times it is not a practicable solution.
What sort of device are you thinking of?

The question is what happened if we put a ferrofluid between the magnets?
... the fluid would respond to the magnetic field.
Since a ferro-fluid is just a bunch of iron filings (or similar) suspended in an oil or a jelly, the result on the field would be much the same as just putting iron between the poles.

Imagine the following situation: a closed volume composed by a non magnetic tube and two magnets in N-S orientation at the ends. First case, air between magnets. Second case, ferrofluid filling the gap.

Is the force in the second case bigger that force in first case?
... force where? Inside the fluid?

The ferrofluid has more magnetic permeability, but my doubt is about pressure gradients inside the fluid . I do not know if the pressure is constant along the tube or we have a higher pressure at the ends. If it is the case, do it balance the increment in force due to a higher magnetic permeability in the medium?
So you are imagining quite a large quantity of the fluid then?

Adding more iron does increase the flux through the iron - concentrates it.
But you can also shape the poles of the magnets.

The details will be important.
What sort of device are you thinking of?
What do you need it to do?

Simon, thanks for your time. In order with your comments:

In my work as engineer I found many times problems where efficiency in electromagnetic devices like contactors, motors, magnetic cranes (little or big) is needed due to restrictions in available space, power consuption or weight. In some applications like specific kinds DC motors, you need a high torque with very low RPM. The air gap between rotor and estator is one of the main parameters that drives the power consumption due to the poor air's magnetic permeability.

At least in the info that I have, permeability in a ferrofluid is higher than air but lower that iron. The idea is raise the permeability allowing a concentrated magnetic flux. I want approach as much as possible to the effect of a piece of iron between poles, but a deformable one that allows pole's movement.

Resultant force over the poles. In the experiment that I set (not neccesary a real device, it is just for a simple presentation of the phenomenom), I would like to know if the resultant force, sum of magnetic plus pressure over pole wet area, increases. It depends on pressure distribution inside the fluid. If you put a piece of iron between poles, in contact with both, the magnetic force increases, but the resultant force become zero due to contact pressure against the iron piece. Contact pressure exactly balance magnetic force. It happens with a solid.

In a real device, the amount of ferrofluid could be little. It is just an experiment.

If you increases the efficiency of magnetic circuits, you can increase the power to weight ratio, for example in a servo motor for aerospace applications. But you still need allow movement, then, a ferrofluid with low viscosity seems to be an interesting option.

Simon:

thank you for the info. You are right, there are some developments and experiments related with devices like high torque motors, but in general I can't find info about what happens with the ferrofluid in terms of change in viscosity, pressure gradients, heat generation due to internal friction, etc.
Probably I must develop some experiments, but before to do it, I would understand the physic. Always I prefer that an experiment verify a prediction, I would make some calculus before.

thanks again.

I've had to learn about them due to some of the more out-there ideas.
There are different formulations - so the exact behavior will depend on the particular fluid - I'd expect increased drag with the applied field strength for instance.

They are still a bit too new - a developing field - you'd need to go to the journals to learn in more detail, or find a manufacturer and ask them.
http://iopscience.iop.org/0953-8984/18/38/E01
http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v504/n7479/full/504229a.html
http://www.scielo.br/scielo.php?script=sci_arttext&pid=S0103-97332005000400018

... it is possible there are college courses in them at the senior undergrad or post-grad level.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is magnetic fluid and how does it affect magnetic force?

Magnetic fluid, also known as ferrofluid, is a liquid that becomes magnetized in the presence of a magnetic field. It is composed of tiny magnetic particles suspended in a carrier fluid. When exposed to a magnetic field, the particles align themselves and create a magnetic force that can be manipulated. This can enhance or disrupt the magnetic force in a given system.

2. How is magnetic fluid used to manipulate magnetic force?

Magnetic fluid can be used in a variety of ways to manipulate magnetic force. It can be used to enhance the strength of a magnetic field by acting as a magnetically conductive medium. This is useful in applications such as magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) machines. It can also be used to create a magnetic seal or barrier, as the fluid can be controlled by an external magnetic field. Additionally, the fluid can be used to dampen or reduce the strength of a magnetic field, which is useful in applications where too much magnetic force can be detrimental.

3. What are the potential benefits of using magnetic fluid in magnetic force?

The use of magnetic fluid in magnetic force has several potential benefits. It can provide a more precise and controllable way of manipulating magnetic force, as the fluid can be easily manipulated by external magnetic fields. It can also enhance the strength of magnetic fields, making them more effective in applications such as medical imaging. Additionally, the use of magnetic fluid can reduce the energy consumption of magnetic systems, as it can help dampen or redirect magnetic force, reducing the need for additional energy.

4. Are there any potential drawbacks or limitations to using magnetic fluid in magnetic force?

While there are many potential benefits to using magnetic fluid in magnetic force, there are also some limitations and drawbacks. One limitation is that the fluid can be difficult to control in certain environments, such as high temperatures or strong magnetic fields. Additionally, the fluid can be expensive and difficult to produce in large quantities. There are also concerns about the potential environmental impact of using magnetic fluid, as it can be toxic and difficult to dispose of properly.

5. How does the influence of magnetic fluid in magnetic force impact various industries and technologies?

The influence of magnetic fluid in magnetic force has a significant impact on various industries and technologies. In the medical field, it is used in MRI machines to enhance the strength of magnetic fields for more accurate imaging. In the automotive industry, it is used in shock absorbers to dampen vibrations and improve ride quality. It is also used in speakers and headphones to enhance sound quality. Additionally, the use of magnetic fluid in magnetic force has potential applications in areas such as robotics, energy production, and data storage.