Calculating the turning moments for a passive wind turbine under yaw

In summary, the conversation was about finding simplified equations for the turning moments on a small horizontal-axis wind turbine with a passive yaw mechanism. The suggested resources were a research article and a PDF presentation, but they did not include the desired equations. The conversation also mentioned a tail fin and roller bearing system, but an equation for calculating the torque was still not found.
james6008
Hi

I have been looking for some simple equations that describe the turning moments on the rotor as wind direction changes. I know this can be relatively complex but I am looking for simplified equations. Has anyone got any information where I can find these? The wind turbine is a small horizontal axis passive turbine with a tail vane. Focus here is on the rotor.

Physics news on Phys.org
Likes 1 person
Thanks for the links :)

The second article mentions
"The typical form of such systems consists of a roller bearing connecting the tower and the nacelle, along with a tail fin mounted on the nacelle which aims to apply an apt torque to the nacelle so as to turn the turbine rotor to the direction of wind."

I have searched everywhere but I can not find an equation that let's me calculate this torque in simplistic terms. If someone has come across it before please let me know.

1. What is a passive wind turbine?

A passive wind turbine is a type of wind turbine that does not require any external power source, such as electricity, to operate. It harnesses the energy from the wind to generate rotational force.

2. What is yaw in relation to wind turbines?

Yaw refers to the angle at which the wind turbine blades are facing in relation to the direction of the wind. It is an important factor in determining the efficiency and stability of a wind turbine.

3. Why is it important to calculate the turning moments for a passive wind turbine under yaw?

Calculating the turning moments helps determine the force and torque exerted on the wind turbine blades as they rotate. This information is crucial in designing and optimizing the performance of the wind turbine.

4. How is the turning moment calculated for a passive wind turbine?

The turning moment is calculated by multiplying the wind force acting on the blades by the distance of the force from the center of rotation. This can be done for each blade and then summed to determine the total turning moment.

5. What factors can affect the turning moments for a passive wind turbine under yaw?

The turning moments can be affected by factors such as wind speed, blade shape and size, wind turbine design, and the angle of yaw. Changes in these factors can impact the efficiency and stability of the wind turbine.