Is there a way to stop the flow of water on this water clock?

In summary, the individual is seeking advice on how to modify a timer they are building for a high school physics class. They want to make it function more like a stopwatch by reducing the flow of water using a mechanism such as pulling, twisting, or switching something. One suggestion is to leave space between the bottle caps and use a clothespin to pinch the exposed straw/tube to slow down or stop the flow of water. They apologize for any errors in posting and appreciate any help or advice.
Moedangel
The one in question:

Hello, I currently have to build a timer for my high school physics class. I plan on using a very similar design structure as shown in the video. However, I would like to know if there is a mechanism/modification I can do to this so that I can stop/greatly reduce the flow of water by pulling/twisting/switching something. My goal is to make this device acts more like a stopwatch than a timer.

Currently, I'm thinking the best way to do it is to somehow block the flow of air from one of the tubes so that the water slows down to a drip. I'm having a hard time figuring out how to do it though.

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated. And sorry if this is the wrong category to post in, I'm new to this forum and this category seemed to fit best. Thanks again!

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
I think the easiest way to do that would be to leave space between the bottle caps, so that the straw/tube is exposed. Then you can pinch it with something like a clothespin to make it stop.

1. How does the water clock work?

The water clock works by using a constant flow of water to measure the passage of time. The water is collected in a vessel and the gradual rise of the water level indicates the passing of hours or minutes.

2. Can the flow of water on a water clock be stopped?

Yes, the flow of water on a water clock can be stopped by adjusting the flow rate or by completely cutting off the water source. This will halt the measurement of time and stop the water from filling up the vessel.

3. Why would someone want to stop the flow of water on a water clock?

There are several reasons why someone may want to stop the flow of water on a water clock. This could be to adjust the clock to a different time measurement, to pause the clock during repairs or maintenance, or simply to conserve water.

4. Is it possible to reverse the flow of water on a water clock?

No, it is not possible to reverse the flow of water on a water clock. The flow of water is determined by the design and structure of the clock and cannot be reversed without altering its mechanism.

5. How do I stop the flow of water on a water clock without damaging it?

The safest way to stop the flow of water on a water clock without causing damage is to gradually decrease the flow rate until it stops completely. This can be done by adjusting the water source or by using a valve to control the rate of water flow.