Geometry question (not homework)

In summary, the conversation is discussing the possibility of planes intersecting at right angles. The original problem in class stated that through a given line on plane A, there is only one plane that intersects plane B. However, the individual thought there would be an infinite amount of planes that could intersect. Another person suggests rotating the plane around the line to find infinite planes that still intersect B. The teacher confirmed that there is only one plane that intersects B, but the individual still believes there should be infinite planes that intersect A.
Someone502
can planes only rise up or dip down like this?

/ Plane B
/
/
/
/

_____________________________ Plane A

or can Plane B intersect A like this?
|BBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBB|
|_____________________________________|___ Plane A
|_____________________________________|

bad drawing but i don't know any other way.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
If your drawing is referring to planes intersecting at right angles, the most apparent example is the intersection of the xy-plane with the xz-plane.

We had a problem in class that said that through a given line on plane A there is only one plane that intersects plane B (not dealing with my pictures). I thought there would be an infinite amount of planes.

Someone502 said:
We had a problem in class that said that through a given line on plane A there is only one plane that intersects plane B (not dealing with my pictures). I thought there would be an infinite amount of planes.

Was there more to the problem? Imagine rotating the plane around the line where it intersects A. That will give an infinite number of planes that still intersect B.

my teacher said that there was only one and that's what I am asking about.

opps and the plane that intersects plane B pass through the line.

Are you sure he didn't say any two given planes can only intersect once? because that would make a lot more sense.

no pretty sure

Well there should be infinite planes (B) that intersect with A. Just think about it. In fact, only planes which are parallel to each other won't intersect.

ok my teacher said there was only one and i thought he was wrong but wasnt sure

What is geometry?

Geometry is a branch of mathematics that focuses on the study of shapes, sizes, positions, and properties of objects in space.

What are the different types of geometry?

There are three main types of geometry: Euclidean, non-Euclidean, and analytic. Euclidean geometry is the most common and deals with flat or two-dimensional shapes. Non-Euclidean geometry explores curved or three-dimensional shapes. Analytic geometry combines algebra and geometry to study geometric shapes using coordinates.

Why is geometry important?

Geometry is important because it helps us understand and describe the physical world around us. It is used in many fields such as engineering, architecture, art, and science. It also helps develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills.

What are the basic geometric shapes?

The basic geometric shapes include points, lines, line segments, rays, angles, triangles, circles, and polygons. These shapes are the building blocks of more complex shapes and can be classified based on their properties and characteristics.

How is geometry used in real life?

Geometry is used in many real-life applications such as building and construction, navigation, computer graphics, and design. It is also used in measuring and calculating distances, areas, and volumes of objects in our everyday lives.