Some error calculation help

In summary, the conversation involved someone struggling with calculating errors in a given expression and seeking help. They were advised to find the partial derivatives and use the chain rule to simplify the process. The person eventually solved the problem by treating other variables as constants and applying the chain rule.
Exulus
I really struggle with calculating errors :( I understand what i have to do, find the partial derivative of each variable and multiply it by the error, square it, add up all the others then square root the total. I just seem totally incapable of doing it :( The expression i have to find error on is:

[tex]E = m_{0}c^2 [\sqrt{1+(\frac{RqB}{m_{0}c\tan{\frac{\Theta}{2}}}) ^2} - 1][/tex]

Where R, B and theta all have errors associated with them! (to find the error on E)

I've been told its possible to break it down one bit at a time, so evalulating the RqB bit i get:

[tex] \sigma = \sqrt{ (B\Delta R)^2 + (R\Delta B)^2}[/tex]

But no idea where to go next :( Any help much appreciated!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
So are you having trouble with finding the partial derivatives in the uncertainty expression below??
[tex]\sigma=\sqrt{(\frac{\delta E}{\delta R})^2*(\Delta R)^2+(\frac{\delta E}{\delta B})^2*(\Delta B)^2+(\frac{\delta E}{\delta\theta})^2*(\Delta\theta)^2}[/tex]

Last edited:
Hi,

Yeah i was having trouble with it. I think I've solved it now. I went an incredibly long way around it by calling everything else inside the bracket which wasnt the variable to be differentiated, a constant, such as C. That made me see what was going on a bit better and i think it worked! *fingers crossed* i can't change it now as the work has been handed in :) Thanks though!

yeah well that's all you do in partial differentiation anyway. You treat everything else as a constant except the variable you are differentiatin with respect to. Then in your case you had to apply the chain rule and bob's your uncle ;)
Good luck with it then and it sounds like you had the right idea so it should be ok.

1. What is error calculation and why is it important?

Error calculation is the process of determining the difference between a measured or observed value and the true or expected value. It is important because it helps us understand the accuracy and reliability of our measurements and experiments, and allows us to make informed decisions based on the data we collect.

2. How do you calculate error?

Error can be calculated by subtracting the observed value from the expected value, taking the absolute value of the difference, and then dividing by the expected value and multiplying by 100 to get a percentage. The formula is: error = |observed value - expected value| / expected value * 100%.

3. What is the difference between absolute and relative error?

Absolute error is the actual difference between the observed and expected values, while relative error is the ratio of the absolute error to the expected value. Relative error is often expressed as a percentage and is useful for comparing errors between different measurements or experiments.

4. Can you have a negative error?

Yes, you can have a negative error if the observed value is less than the expected value. This indicates that the observed value is lower than what was expected and can be expressed as a negative percentage.

5. How can you reduce error in your experiments?

There are several ways to reduce error in experiments, such as using more precise instruments, taking multiple measurements and calculating the average, and using statistical analysis to identify and eliminate outliers. It is also important to carefully follow experimental procedures and make sure all variables are controlled to minimize sources of error.