Driven, damped harmonic oscillator - with particular solution

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the particular solution for a driven, damped harmonic oscillator with a specific driving force. The equation for the oscillator is mx''+bx'+kx=A1cos(wt)+A2cos(3wt) and the particular solution can be found using Lagrange's method of varying constants.
eku_girl83
Driven, damped harmonic oscillator -- need help with particular solution

Consider a damped oscillator with Beta = w/4 driven by
F=A1cos(wt)+A2cos(3wt). Find x(t).

I know that x(t) is the solution to the system with the above drive force.

I know that if an external driving force applied to the oscillator then the total force is described by F = -kx - bx' + F0cos(wt).

But in our case the driving force is A1cos(wt)+A2cos(3wt) so
F=-kx-bx+A1cos(wt)+A2cos(3wt).

Then our differential equation is mx''+bx'+kx=A1cos(wt)+A2cos(3wt).

This can also be written as x''+2Betax'+(w^2)x=A1cos(wt)+A2cos(3wt).

For the complementary solution, we set the right side of the equation equal to zero and solve for x. This is o.k.

However, I am having trouble with the particular solution. Can someone tell me how I find a particular solution for this? I can find the particular solution for x''+2Beta x'+ (w^2)x = A cos (wt), but what about the particular solution when the driving force is not A cos (wt), as we have in this case?

Any help GREATLY appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Use Lagrange's method of varying constants. That is assume that the particular solution to the nonhomogenous ODE is

[tex] x_{part}(t)=C_{1}(t)\cos\omega t+C_{2}(t)\cos 3\omega t [/tex].

Daniel.

1. What is a driven, damped harmonic oscillator?

A driven, damped harmonic oscillator is a physical system that exhibits oscillatory motion due to the combined effects of an external driving force and a damping force. It can be described by a second-order differential equation, such as the equation of motion for a mass-spring system.

2. What is the particular solution for a driven, damped harmonic oscillator?

The particular solution for a driven, damped harmonic oscillator is the solution to the differential equation that describes the motion of the system under the influence of the external driving force. It takes into account both the effects of the driving force and the damping force on the system.

3. How does damping affect the motion of a driven, damped harmonic oscillator?

Damping in a driven, damped harmonic oscillator refers to the dissipation of energy from the system due to factors such as friction or air resistance. This damping force decreases the amplitude of the oscillations over time, resulting in a decrease in the system's energy and a gradual approach to equilibrium.

4. How does the frequency of the driving force affect the motion of a driven, damped harmonic oscillator?

The frequency of the driving force has a significant impact on the motion of a driven, damped harmonic oscillator. At resonance frequency, the oscillations are maximized, and the system's response to the driving force is at its peak. At other frequencies, the system's response may be dampened or even become out of phase with the driving force.

5. What are some real-world applications of a driven, damped harmonic oscillator?

Driven, damped harmonic oscillators can be found in various systems and have many practical applications. Examples include vibrating systems like guitar strings or tuning forks, electrical circuits with inductors and capacitors, and even the motion of pendulums. They are also used in engineering and physics research to study and model various physical phenomena.