Calculating Errors: Adding, Subtracting, Multiplying & More

In summary, the conversation discusses how to add different types of errors, such as length and mass errors, and how the errors change when performing operations like addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, square, and square root. The link provided also explains the difference between using absolute deviations and standard deviations to express errors.
Pixter
Just want to get a straight answear if possible..

How dou you add different types of errors.

lets say I have and length error of 2 +-1 and another of 5+-2

what happens to the error when I add/subtract...multiply/divide...square/sqrt ?

then If I have and length error of 2+-1 and a mass error of 20+-1 and first I change the absolut error to percentage, and then what happens when I:
add/subtract...multiply/divide...square/sqrt ?

Doing lot's of labs and just need some clarification on this..

would be nice if someone could show how to with these examples... thanks a lot guys & girls

Physics news on Phys.org
personaly i think error analysis is a real pain to calculate sometimes, cause you have to carry over all the +- uncertainties.

try this link

http://www.smccd.net/accounts/goodman/physics/p270/p270_labhandouts/unknown_mass.pdf

read pages 2-4. Once you do the practice problem on page 4, you should be good to go.

Just be careful with this, since the formulas given correspond to the case of using absolute deviations to express the errors. More often, people use standard deviations, in which case the errors are combined differently (for addition, subtraction and product, the relative uncertainties are added in quadrature).

This may help to clarify the difference: http://www.rit.edu/~uphysics/uncertainties/Uncertaintiespart2.html#addsub

Last edited by a moderator:
To explain the difference between using absolute deviations and standard deviations, let's just say that by using absolute deviations, you assume the worst case scenario. Since data usually is distributed (as as such, errors), it therefore must be partially governed by a stardard deviation. Hence being added in a quardrature gives the uncertainty from a probablistic point of view.

1. How do you calculate the error when adding or subtracting numbers?

When adding or subtracting numbers, the error is calculated by adding the absolute values of the individual errors. For example, if you are adding two numbers with errors of 2 and 3, the total error would be 5.

2. What is the formula for calculating error in multiplication and division?

The formula for calculating error in multiplication and division is to add the relative errors of the individual numbers. The relative error is the ratio of the individual error to the original value. For example, if you are multiplying two numbers with errors of 0.5 and 0.8, the total error would be 1.3.

3. How do you calculate the percentage error?

The percentage error can be calculated by dividing the error by the original value and multiplying by 100. This will give you the percentage of error in the measurement. For example, if your error is 5 and the original value is 100, the percentage error would be 5%.

4. What is the difference between absolute error and relative error?

The absolute error is the actual difference between the measured value and the true value. It is expressed in the same units as the measurement. The relative error, on the other hand, is the ratio of the absolute error to the true value. It is expressed as a percentage or decimal value.

5. Can you have a negative error?

Yes, you can have a negative error. This means that the measured value is lower than the true value. It is important to keep the sign of the error when calculating with multiple measurements to ensure accurate results.