Fractional wave tuned antenna/inductor

In summary: I googled Schumann Resonance and got lots of hits. Kind of interesting. I totally don't get the spoiler warning thing at Wikipedia's page for Schumann Resonance -- what the heck is "Serial Experiments Lain"? I followed the link, but that made even less sense to me :confused: Serial Experiments Lain is a Japanese anime and manga series written and illustrated by Kazuki Nakashima. The story follows a group of teenagers who are part of a research project to explore the Schumann Resonance.
Jdo300
Hello,

I have posted a while ago wondering how to make a coil that was tuned to Earth resonance (~7.8 Hz). I realize that the wavelength at that frequency range is ridiculously low and would require an antenna the size of Texas to couple too normally. But I heard something about fractional wave antennas and was wondering if something like that would work. I basically want to tune into that frequency range to run a small oscillator circuit. But I am wondering if there is anyway to input the signal into the tank circuit without using a huge antenna.

Thanks,
Jason O

Engineering news on Phys.org
What is the energy exactly that you are trying to couple to? I don't mean some pseudo-science energy field. I mean, where is the energy coming from, and what form is it in?

This is pretty cool. I ran 500 turns of Cat5 around a 55 gallon drum and started picking up some Martian transmissions. Dang, what is their don de translation...

Are they using 32-bit encryption or 64? Anybody know for sure?

berkeman said:
What is the energy exactly that you are trying to couple to? I don't mean some pseudo-science energy field. I mean, where is the energy coming from, and what form is it in?

No, the signal source I want to tune into is 100% natural, no psudo-science necessary. Here is a link with information about this natural frequency range. It's called the Schumann Resonance.

http://www.iihr.uiowa.edu/projects/schumann/Index.html

Thank you,
Jason O

Last edited by a moderator:
Jdo300 said:
No, the signal source I want to tune into is 100% natural, no psudo-science necessary. Here is a link with information about this natural frequency range. It's called the Schumann Resonance.

http://www.iihr.uiowa.edu/projects/schumann/Index.html

Thank you,
Jason O
Hmmm. Looks like a reputable source, and the two-conductor thing sounds reasonable. How about just using the meter-size antennas that the author describes? The article mentions several other ULF antennas -- how big are they, and how are they constructed?

I googled Schumann Resonance and got lots of hits. Kind of interesting. I totally don't get the spoiler warning thing at Wikipedia's page for Schumann Resonance -- what the heck is "Serial Experiments Lain"? I followed the link, but that made even less sense to me :confused:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schumann_resonance

Last edited by a moderator:
berkeman said:
what the heck is "Serial Experiments Lain"?
Looks like a Japnese SciFi cyberpunk cartoon/game.

1. What is a fractional wave tuned antenna/inductor?

A fractional wave tuned antenna/inductor is a type of antenna or inductor that is designed to resonate at a specific frequency by using a fractional wavelength instead of a whole wavelength.

2. How does a fractional wave tuned antenna/inductor work?

A fractional wave tuned antenna/inductor works by using a fraction of a wavelength, typically 1/4 or 1/2, to create a standing wave at a desired frequency. This allows for better tuning and improved performance compared to using a whole wavelength.

3. What are the benefits of using a fractional wave tuned antenna/inductor?

One of the main benefits of using a fractional wave tuned antenna/inductor is improved tuning and performance. It also allows for a smaller physical size of the antenna or inductor, making it more suitable for compact electronic devices. Additionally, a fractional wave tuned antenna/inductor can have a wider bandwidth compared to traditional antennas or inductors.

4. What are some common applications of fractional wave tuned antennas/inductors?

Fractional wave tuned antennas/inductors are commonly used in radio communication systems, such as AM/FM radios, cellular phones, and Wi-Fi devices. They are also used in various electronic circuits, such as oscillators, filters, and amplifiers.

5. How do I choose the right fractional wave tuned antenna/inductor for my application?

Choosing the right fractional wave tuned antenna/inductor depends on several factors, including the desired frequency, bandwidth, and physical size constraints. It is important to consult with a professional or use simulation software to determine the best antenna or inductor for your specific application.