Surface Integral of an Inverted Paraboloid with Radius 2 and Height 4

In summary, the problem involves finding the surface area of a paraboloid with radius 2 on the xy-plane and height 4 on the z-axis, which cuts off at plane z=3. The outward unit normal vector is directed upward, and the correct parameterization for the surface is x=r*cos(theta), y=r*sin(theta), and dA=rdrdtheta. The correct answer for the surface area is 9π/2.
DryRun
Gold Member
Homework Statement
http://s1.ipicture.ru/uploads/20120118/EHTTIkiQ.jpg

The attempt at a solution
I've drawn the graph in my copybook. It's an inverted paraboloid with radius 2 on the xy-plane height of 4 on the z-axis, which cuts off at plane z=3.
[tex]∇\vec{\phi}=-2x\vec{i}-2y\vec{j}-\vec{k}[/tex]
[tex]|∇\vec{\phi}|=\sqrt{4x^2+4y^2+1}[/tex]
[tex]\hat{n}=\frac{∇\vec{\phi}}{|∇\vec{\phi}|}[/tex]
[tex]Flux=\int\int\frac{-2x^2-2y^2-z}{\sqrt{4x^2+4y^2+1}}\,.d\sigma[/tex]

Projecting on the xy-plane:
[tex]z=4-x^2-y^2[/tex]
[tex]z_x=-2x[/tex]
[tex]z_y=-2y[/tex]
[tex]\sigma=\sqrt{4x^2+4y^2+1}\,.dxdy[/tex]
[tex]S.A=\int\int(-2x^2-2y^2-z)\,.dxdy[/tex]
From [itex]z=4-x^2-y^2[/itex],
[tex]S.A=\int\int(-x^2-y^2-4)\,.dxdy[/tex]
Transforming to polar coordinates: x=cosθ, y=sinθ, r=1
[tex]S.A=\int^{2\pi}_0\int^1_0(-5)\,.rdrd\theta[/tex]
The answer i get is -5∏, which is wrong. The correct answer is: 9∏/2, so i don't know where i messed up.

Physics news on Phys.org
sharks said:
Homework Statement
http://s1.ipicture.ru/uploads/20120118/EHTTIkiQ.jpg

The attempt at a solution
I've drawn the graph in my copybook. It's an inverted paraboloid with radius 2 on the xy-plane height of 4 on the z-axis, which cuts off at plane z=3.
[tex]|∇\vec{\phi}|=\sqrt{4x^2+4y^2+1}[/tex]
[tex]\hat{n}=\frac{∇\vec{\phi}}{|∇\vec{\phi}|}[/tex]

WOOPS! The orientation of your surface is given to be directed upwards. Look at the ##k## component of your vector. You need the opposite direction. That's why your sign is wrong.
[tex]Flux=\int\int\frac{-2x^2-2y^2-z}{\sqrt{4x^2+4y^2+1}}\,.d\sigma[/tex]

Projecting on the xy-plane:
[tex]z=4-x^2-y^2[/tex]
[tex]z_x=-2x[/tex]
[tex]z_y=-2y[/tex]
[tex]\sigma=\sqrt{4x^2+4y^2+1}\,.dxdy[/tex]
[tex]S.A=\int\int(-2x^2-2y^2-z)\,.dxdy[/tex]
From [itex]z=4-x^2-y^2[/itex],
[tex]S.A=\int\int(-x^2-y^2-4)\,.dxdy[/tex]
Transforming to polar coordinates: x=cosθ, y=sinθ, r=1
[tex]S.A=\int^{2\pi}_0\int^1_0(-5)\,.rdrd\theta[/tex]
The answer i get is -5∏, which is wrong. The correct answer is: 9∏/2, so i don't know where i messed up.

Remember you are integrating over an area in the xy plane. Areas require two parameters. ##x^2+y^2=1## only on the boundary of your region. The correct parameterization is ##x = r\cos\theta,\, y = r\sin\theta,\, dA=rdrd\theta## and you can't plug in ##r=1## before you integrate.

OK, it looks like i should start from the beginning:
[tex]\phi(x,y,z)=4-x^2-y^2-z[/tex]
[tex]∇\vec{\phi}=\frac{\partial \phi}{\partial x}\vec{i}+\frac{\partial \phi}{\partial y}\vec{j}+\frac{\partial \phi}{\partial z}\vec{k}[/tex]
which gives me:
I believe this part is correct.

Now, since this problem states that the outward unit normal vector be directed upward... I'm not sure, but I'm going to assume this statement changes the expression to:
[tex]∇\vec{\phi}=-2x\vec{i}-2y\vec{j}+\vec{k}[/tex]
Is that correct? Or should i change the sign across the entire expression? Like this:
[tex]∇\vec{\phi}=2x\vec{i}+2y\vec{j}+\vec{k}[/tex]
I think it makes more sense to change the sign across the entire expression. But i could be wrong again.
[itex]\phi(x,y,z)=4-x^2-y^2-z[/itex] is equivalent to [itex]\phi(x,y,z)=-4+x^2+y^2+z[/itex]. Correct?
And, [itex]\phi(x,y,z)=-4+x^2+y^2+z[/itex] will yield [itex]∇\vec{\phi}=2x\vec{i}+2y\vec{j}+\vec{k}[/itex]
But i dare not go any further with this problem, as i have so many uncertainties.

Last edited:
sharks said:
OK, it looks like i should start from the beginning:
[tex]\phi(x,y,z)=4-x^2-y^2-z[/tex]
[tex]∇\vec{\phi}=\frac{\partial \phi}{\partial x}\vec{i}+\frac{\partial \phi}{\partial y}\vec{j}+\frac{\partial \phi}{\partial z}\vec{k}[/tex]
which gives me:
I believe this part is correct.

Now, since this problem states that the outward unit normal vector be directed upward... I'm not sure, but I'm going to assume this statement changes the expression to:
[tex]∇\vec{\phi}=-2x\vec{i}-2y\vec{j}+\vec{k}[/tex]
Is that correct? Or should i change the sign across the entire expression? Like this:
[tex]∇\vec{\phi}=2x\vec{i}+2y\vec{j}+\vec{k}[/tex]
I think it makes more sense to change the sign across the entire expression.
Of course. You only have two choices, the gradient vector ##\nabla \phi## or its opposite ##-\nabla \phi##. You always have to check and choose the one that agrees with the given orientation of the surface.
[itex]\phi(x,y,z)=4-x^2-y^2-z[/itex] is equivalent to [itex]\phi(x,y,z)=-4+x^2+y^2+z[/itex]. Correct?
And, [itex]\phi(x,y,z)=-4+x^2+y^2+z[/itex] will yield [itex]∇\vec{\phi}=2x\vec{i}+2y\vec{j}+\vec{k}[/itex]
But i dare not go any further with this problem, as i have so many uncertainties.

Be brave. Either way you have the normal facing the correct direction. Work the dot product out and your integrand should come out ##x^2+y^2+4## which you will change to polar coordinates.

[tex]\vec{F}.\hat{n}=\frac{2x^2+2y^2+z}{\sqrt{4x^2+4y^2+1}}[/tex]
[tex]S.A=\int\int(2x^2+2y^2+z)\,.dxdy[/tex]
[tex]S.A=\int\int(x^2+y^2+4)\,.dxdy[/tex]
The points of intersection of the plane z=3 and [itex]z=4-x^2-y^2[/itex] are: [itex]x^2+y^2=1[/itex]
Projecting the surface S onto the xy plane. Transforming to polar coordinates:
[tex]S.A=\int^{2\pi}_0\int^1_0(r^2+4)\,.rdrd\theta=\int^{2\pi}_0\int^1_0r^3+4r\,.drd\theta=\frac{9\pi}{2}[/tex]

Thanks, LCKurtz!:smile:

1. What is a surface integral?

A surface integral is a mathematical tool used to calculate the area of a two-dimensional surface in three-dimensional space. It involves integrating a function over a surface to determine the total value of that function over the entire surface.

2. What is the difference between a surface integral and a regular integral?

A regular integral involves integrating a function over a one-dimensional interval, while a surface integral involves integrating a function over a two-dimensional surface. Additionally, a surface integral requires a parameterization of the surface in order to determine the limits of integration.

3. When is a surface integral used in real-world applications?

Surface integrals are commonly used in physics and engineering to calculate quantities such as fluid flow, electric and magnetic flux, and heat transfer over a surface. They are also used in computer graphics to render three-dimensional surfaces.

4. How is a surface integral evaluated?

To evaluate a surface integral, the surface must first be parameterized with two variables, typically u and v. Then, the function to be integrated is multiplied by the magnitude of the cross product of the partial derivatives of the parameterization with respect to u and v. The resulting double integral is then evaluated using appropriate limits of integration.

5. What are some common techniques for solving surface integrals?

Some common techniques for solving surface integrals include using parametric equations, converting to a line integral, and using the Divergence Theorem or Stokes' Theorem. The choice of technique depends on the specific surface and function being integrated.