What is the Best Saxophone Song?

• Thread starter Evo
  • Start date
In summary, some of the best songs are "Baker Street" by Gerry Rafferty, "Guns N Roses, Sweet Child O' Mine." by Axl Rose, "Bruce Springsteen - "tunnel of love"" by Led Zeppelin, "Honor thy Father" by Dream Theater, and "Octavarium" by Dream Theater.
BSMSMSTMSPHD said:
Ever seen this Peart drum solo?

[MEDIA=youtube]mjhylyA_OR8[/MEDIA][/URL]

Just watched your DB video - pretty sweet.[/QUOTE]

That was awesome - I liked the 2nd part heaps heaps better then the first. I think in the first part he had a fever where the only precription was snare drum xD.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Peart is the best, hands down

and Rush is awesome
party0024.gif

While we're posting youtube videos I think I'll post something funny I saw today.

Watch this one FIRST [MEDIA=youtube]lFf-kW1E0Tc[/MEDIA][/URL]

Then this one [PLAIN][MEDIA=youtube]vgQ9kvLGXS8[/MEDIA][/URL]

Here is hand's down the greatest song ever written. [MEDIA=youtube]DT1qoaZP3m0[/MEDIA][/URL]

I don't mean to sound rude and disrespectful guys, but ease up on the personal conversations. Not only are we now discussing physics problems in this thread, but you guys are discussing who's the best drummer, where to get information on metal bands and how you are doing science AND listening to metal. I mean congratulations on your enthusiasm and the fact that you seem to be doing so well in your respective courses/fields though, but try and keep the thread on track.

The best song ever has to go to the song that starts halfway through this clip: [MEDIA=youtube]gNTpORt_fEw[/MEDIA][/URL]

Seriously though I have a couple of more songs that I've thought of that really had an impact on me.

Tony MacAlpine is just an inspiration from beginning to end. He was originally a clasically trained violinist and pianist and then he took up guitar.

A guitar piece:
[PLAIN][MEDIA=youtube]sHANPpj5vqY[/MEDIA][/URL]

A piano piece:
[PLAIN][MEDIA=youtube]-Xc0KDbbYfY[/MEDIA][/URL]

One more guitarist which I think Astronuc might also like and anyone else who likes instrumental music:
[url]http://www.myspace.com/mikemartinband[/url]

Mike Martin is the guitarist for a band called Fozzy (most might know of it because Chris Jericho the wrestler is the vocalist), but he has also released his solo album and some songs can be heard at his myspace page.

[USER=5155]@Evo[/USER]
I know they sure do have a trashy look about them, but they're soo cool haha. I had never heard of Heart, but that's just plain hilarious! 80s cheesyness just can't be rivalled! Gotta love it!

[USER=15685]@Astronuc[/USER]
He sure does have a similar sound to Michael Hedges. Thanks for posting that by the way.

Ok, sorry - we did get a bit off track there. Here's my pick for best song ever (popular). I don't know if it has already been posted yet...

[MEDIA=youtube]jEOkxRLzBf0[/MEDIA][/URL]

big man said:
One more guitarist which I think Astronuc might also like and anyone else who likes instrumental music:
http://www.myspace.com/mikemartinband

Mike Martin is the guitarist for a band called Fozzy (most might know of it because Chris Jericho the wrestler is the vocalist), but he has also released his solo album and some songs can be heard at his myspace page.
Thanks for the link big man. :cool: I'm always looking for new or different sounds. :tongue2:

Mike has been performing around the Southeastern United States for the past 15 years as an origional artist as well as a mercenary guitar player.
Mercenary guitar player? :rofl: Freelance or merchant guitar player perhaps, but mercenary?

Maybe we need a new term - Guitarslinger . . . :biggrin:

Last edited:
BSMSMSTMSPHD said:
Ok, sorry - we did get a bit off track there. Here's my pick for best song ever (popular). I don't know if it has already been posted yet...

[MEDIA=youtube]jEOkxRLzBf0[/MEDIA][/URL][/QUOTE]

That is an Awesome song =p.

BSMSMSTMSPHD said:

[MEDIA=youtube]jEOkxRLzBf0[/MEDIA][/URL][/QUOTE]

I would have to go with this as my favorite Lennon song:

[PLAIN]"[MEDIA=youtube[/URL]

And this a close second (though only when done by Fiona Apple):

[PLAIN]"[MEDIA=youtube[/URL]

turbo-1 said:
I've always been a fan of James Taylor, and here he is, featuring Natalie Maines and the Dixie Chicks on his signature tune:

[MEDIA=youtube]UwoZBIKgKA4[/MEDIA][/URL]

and:
[PLAIN][MEDIA=youtube]0cq0lo_TN1k[/MEDIA][/URL][/QUOTE]
The Sweet Baby James rendition is awesome. You listen to that and wonder why they haven't always played together. Well, aside from having to ask if the Dixie Chicks were even born yet when that song was written.

Herbie Hancock! this is a really good jam of Oleo
[MEDIA=youtube]y1v3Tf_kybE[/MEDIA][/URL]

There is an amazing trumpet solo in Herbie's Maiden Voyage, and this also has a very complimentary video sequence of scences in asia, very serene.
[PLAIN][MEDIA=youtube]x2FyoxLEVmk[/MEDIA][/URL]

Inca Roads is a good song, but this version has a bunch of sound effects from a really trippy claymation sequence edited over top.
[PLAIN][MEDIA=youtube]uFHSk_lEeHk[/MEDIA][/URL]

Here is Allison Krause and Union Station doing "Let Me Touch You for a While". Judging from the arrangement, I think this video was edited together using the track from the 2-CD live release, with Jerry Douglas on dobro. It's one of the best-engineered live CDs ever.

[MEDIA=youtube]YiyKwigIvkI[/MEDIA][/URL]

Here is one of Jerry's numbers from that live session.

[PLAIN][MEDIA=youtube]95OMQrPPsco[/MEDIA][/URL]

Well I'm shocked and appauled that Jimi hasn't been flung in here yet (unless my quick parsing of the thread has missed him).

Heres Voodoo child live at Berkely 1970 (Way before I was born but I'm sure lots of you were there)
[MEDIA=youtube]4k6oPR8TM88[/MEDIA][/URL]

And his appearance on Lulu's show in the Uk
[PLAIN][MEDIA=youtube]53asrNBElEo[/MEDIA][/URL]

This guys been all over the net and rightly so for he is quite superb.
[url]http://jerryc.tw/[/url]

ooh and this one :smile:
[PLAIN][MEDIA=youtube]YXrzF3vmeLw[/MEDIA][/URL]

Kurdt said:
Well I'm shocked and appauled that Jimi hasn't been flung in here yet (unless my quick parsing of the thread has missed him).

Heres Voodoo child live at Berkely 1970 (Way before I was born but I'm sure lots of you were there)
[MEDIA=youtube]4k6oPR8TM88[/MEDIA][/URL] [/QUOTE] Yeah! I have the Berkeley concert on DVD. Too bad the camera man didn't get in front much. :rolleyes: But the music is great. It's decent considering that it was recorded in 1970. :rolleyes:

Jimi does "Hey Babe" off is album "New Rising Sun". I was disappointed the camera man didn't get Hendrix's fingers on this one. :grumpy:

Yes! - Way to go, Yomamma!

How about -
[PLAIN][MEDIA=youtube[/URL] LIVE - when he had hair.

I'd like to see a video of Jon Butcher playing "Holy War". He did some unique sounds on his guitar.

Astronuc said:
Yeah! I have the Berkeley concert on DVD. Too bad the camera man didn't get in front much. :rolleyes: But the music is great. It's decent considering that it was recorded in 1970. :rolleyes:

Jimi does "Hey Babe" off is album "New Rising Sun". I was disappointed the camera man didn't get Hendrix's fingers on this one. :grumpy:
I know what you mean. Thats the only way I learn guitar. Plus Hendrix seems to have an unusually natural way around the fret board which is what makes him great I suppose. Lovely to watch :biggrin:

I think Youtube is temporarily down, or they don't like me. :biggrin:

Anyway, I was trying to find a video of Stevie Ray Vaughn, another great guitarist who probably came closest to Hendrix. SRV did an excellent rendtion of Voodoo Chile. Cold Shot is another great tune.

Astronuc said:
I think Youtube is temporarily down, or they don't like me. :biggrin:

Anyway, I was trying to find a video of Stevie Ray Vaughn, another great guitarist who probably came closest to Hendrix. SRV did an excellent rendtion of Voodoo Chile. Cold Shot is another great tune.

I know the one you mean I have seen it on youtube. And here it is:

[MEDIA=youtube]2zJpAGQdjB4[/MEDIA][/URL]

Kurdt said:
I know the one you mean I have seen it on youtube. And here it is:

[MEDIA=youtube]2zJpAGQdjB4[/MEDIA][/URL][/QUOTE]Ooh, very nice! :approve:

And then there are masters like [MEDIA=youtube[/URL], who make their guitars cry or sing with apparently as much concentrated effort as it takes to scratch your head.

Here's a priceless, [PLAIN][MEDIA=youtube[/URL] of the same.

"Money for nothing" (original video) - [MEDIA=youtube]5qqXOFWPGKA[/MEDIA][/URL]

Live - Two greats - Clapton and Knopfler - [PLAIN][MEDIA=youtube]3UX8tuI1JE8[/MEDIA]&mode=related&search=[/URL]

Another version - [PLAIN][MEDIA=youtube]sr2SEtIwpWo[/MEDIA]&mode=related&search=[/URL]

Astronuc said:
Live - Two greats - Clapton and Knopfler - [MEDIA=youtube]3UX8tuI1JE8[/MEDIA]&mode=related&search=[/URL]

[/QUOTE]

Excellent.

Okay, it IS sentimental, and Maggie Reilly haven't done much else since, but her vocal on Mike Oldfield's "Moonlight Shadow" remains brilliant:
[MEDIA=youtube]32BI-fCWf0A[/MEDIA][/URL]

One of my favorite Dire Straits songs, in a live version that kills: "You and Your Friend".

[MEDIA=youtube]zHVaA5VUajE[/MEDIA][/URL]

turbo-1 said:
One of my favorite Dire Straits songs, in a live version that kills: "You and Your Friend".

[MEDIA=youtube]zHVaA5VUajE[/MEDIA][/URL][/QUOTE]
Excellent! Was that Franklin playing slide?

There's also a neat Telegraph Road reprise posted by that same user.

Gokul43201 said:
Excellent! Was that Franklin playing slide?
I don't know who was in that line-up, but yeah, the steel guitar/lap steel parts were great.

Last edited:
Okay, a bit of French culture from the "sparrow":
[MEDIA=youtube]F1E4eGaCRto[/MEDIA][/URL]

Here's an original clip with Piaf herself. Pure genius!
[PLAIN][MEDIA=youtube]2-sUzR71wpQ[/MEDIA][/URL]

Led Zeppelin - Ten Years Gone

http://youtube.com/watch?v=BoUDq53mg-Q&mode=related&search=

One might wish to the get the DVD, The Song Remains the Same, which is where some of this comes from - http://youtube.com/watch?v=v04nosDNQpk&mode=related&search=

Page plays his guitar with a violin bow, and he gets some really interesting acoustics.

Guitar players will want to watch this - JOE SATRIANI - On two hand tapping
[MEDIA=youtube]ZGIjXu3UOK8[/MEDIA]&mode=related&search=[/URL]

Close up of finger patterns for Raspberry Jam Delta-V
[PLAIN][MEDIA=youtube]Q0oijFv_OiA[/MEDIA][/URL]
Alt - [PLAIN][MEDIA=youtube]MLGBpc9tTdw[/MEDIA][/URL]

Wow, they had it on their website:
Apocalyptica - Quutamo
http://youtube.com/watch?v=UaaA9iT4Dpo
I sort of have a headache from watching them shake their heads like that and all those blinking lights.

There is no singing in this version on YouTube, but there is a very nice version with French lyrics, although I have no clue what she is singing about. If anyone wants, I could upload it for a short while somewhere.

Not sure I'd call them the greatest songs ever, but I really liked the DT/Tony Levin combo on Liquid Tension Experiment's 2 albums. For a while Paradigm Shift was on constant loop in my CD player. It is still one of my favorites.

Live performance:
[MEDIA=youtube]9VMTpigz4ww[/MEDIA][/URL]
Also found some video of some kid doing the guitar for the song, pretty impressive (to someone like me who can't play anyway):
[PLAIN][MEDIA=youtube]XT86nXfBzPk[/MEDIA][/URL]

-GeoMike-

<h2>What is the Best Saxophone Song?</h2><p>As a scientist, I cannot determine the "best" saxophone song as it is subjective and based on personal preference. However, there are some popular saxophone songs that are frequently mentioned by listeners:</p><h2>What are some popular saxophone songs?</h2><p>Some popular saxophone songs include "Careless Whisper" by George Michael, "Baker Street" by Gerry Rafferty, "Just the Two of Us" by Grover Washington Jr., "Yakety Sax" by Boots Randolph, and "Born to Run" by Bruce Springsteen.</p><h2>Who are some famous saxophone players?</h2><p>Some famous saxophone players include Charlie Parker, John Coltrane, Stan Getz, Sonny Rollins, and Kenny G.</p><h2>Is the saxophone a difficult instrument to play?</h2><p>Like any instrument, it takes practice and dedication to become proficient at playing the saxophone. However, with proper instruction and regular practice, it can be mastered.</p><h2>Can the saxophone be used in different genres of music?</h2><p>Yes, the saxophone is a versatile instrument that can be used in various genres of music including jazz, blues, rock, pop, and even classical music.</p>

What is the Best Saxophone Song?

As a scientist, I cannot determine the "best" saxophone song as it is subjective and based on personal preference. However, there are some popular saxophone songs that are frequently mentioned by listeners:

What are some popular saxophone songs?

Some popular saxophone songs include "Careless Whisper" by George Michael, "Baker Street" by Gerry Rafferty, "Just the Two of Us" by Grover Washington Jr., "Yakety Sax" by Boots Randolph, and "Born to Run" by Bruce Springsteen.

Who are some famous saxophone players?

Some famous saxophone players include Charlie Parker, John Coltrane, Stan Getz, Sonny Rollins, and Kenny G.

Is the saxophone a difficult instrument to play?

Like any instrument, it takes practice and dedication to become proficient at playing the saxophone. However, with proper instruction and regular practice, it can be mastered.

Can the saxophone be used in different genres of music?

Yes, the saxophone is a versatile instrument that can be used in various genres of music including jazz, blues, rock, pop, and even classical music.