Calculating the Height of a Cliff Using Projectile Motion

In summary, the ball is thrown towards a cliff with a height of h, a speed of 30m/s, and an angle of 60 degrees above horizontal. It lands on the edge of the cliff 4.0s later. To determine the height of the cliff, the equation y = y_0 + v_{0y} t - (1/2) g t^2 must be used, where y_0 is the initial position (assumed to be 0), v_{0y} is the vertical component of the initial velocity (v0sin(theta)), and g is gravity (9.8 m/s^2). Plugging in the given values, the height of the cliff is found to be
klm
A ball is thrown toward a cliff of height h with a speed of 30m/s and an angle of 60 degrees above horizontal. It lands on the edge of the cliff 4.0s later.

How high is the cliff?
do you just use the equation h=.5gt^2 ? and put it in -9.80=g and 4=t ?

Physics news on Phys.org
You also need to consider the initial speed in the y-direction; here's the complete equation:
[tex]y = y_0 + v_{0y} t - (1/2) g t^2[/tex]

Last edited:
would this be correct: y0=26 , v0=30, g=-9.8 , t=4 ... so y=26+(30x4)- .5(-9.8)(4)^2 = 224.4 m ?

i got vy by doing v0sintheta= 26

klm said:
would this be correct: y0=26 , v0=30, g=-9.8 , t=4 ... so y=26+(30x4)- .5(-9.8)(4)^2 = 224.4 m ?

i got vy by doing v0sintheta= 26
No. In the formula I gave:
y0 is your initial position, which I presume is on the ground at height = 0
v0 (which I'll change to v0y) is the vertical component of the initial velocity, what you call v0sin(theta)
g = 9.8 m/s^2

To make it less confusing, I'll relabel v0 to be v0y in my equation.

ohh sorry, so y=0 + 26(4) - .5(9.8)(4)^2 = 25.6 m

Good!

thanks! can you help me with the next part too..! What was the maximum height of the ball?
i think the equation is just the same as the one you wrote, but just cut t=4 in half to get the peak height so t=2 ..so y= 26(2)-.5(9.8)(2)^2 = 32.4 m ?

No, you can't assume that the peak is at half the time. After all, it lands up on a cliff, so it spent more time rising than falling. (If it fell back down to the original height, then you'd be correct.)

Instead, use a velocity equation for the y-direction to figure out the time when it reaches maximum height. Hint: At the maximum height, what's the vertical speed?

um i think the vertical speed should be 0

so would it be okay to use the equation vfy= viy +ayT so 0= 26+9.8t so t= 2.65 and then cut then stick that time in that first equation you gave me?

so y= 26(2.65) -.5(9.8)(2.65)^2 =34 .4m ?

are the equations i used alright?

Very good!

thank you Doc Al! do you mind one more question, it will be the last one i promise! =)

What is the ball's impact speed?

i thought what you should do is find the final velocity in the x component and y component. and i thought that vfx= 15 since there is no acc in the x direction and vfy= -26 b/c of neg acc. and then i thought you should take the magnitude, but this does not work out to be right. do you know what i am doing wrong

wait i think i did this wrong, look at my next post please

Last edited:
oh no actually should vfy= 65.2 because i tried the equation vfy=viy+ay x T so 26+(9.8x4)= 65.2
so do i do square root (15^2 + 65.2^2) = 66.9 ?

klm said:
oh no actually should vfy= 65.2 because i tried the equation vfy=viy+ay x T so 26+(9.8x4)= 65.2
Careful here. ay = -9.8 m/s^2.

ohhh so should it be vfy= -13.2 and then do the sqaure root (13.2^2 +15^2 ) =19.98

Good!

thank you so much doc al!

1. What are the three components of velocity?

The three components of velocity are speed, direction, and type of motion.

2. How are velocity and speed different?

Velocity is a vector quantity that includes both speed and direction, while speed is a scalar quantity that only represents the rate of motion.

3. What is the formula for calculating velocity?

The formula for velocity is v = d/t, where v is velocity, d is the distance traveled, and t is the time it took to travel that distance.

4. What is the difference between average velocity and instantaneous velocity?

Average velocity is the total displacement divided by the total time, while instantaneous velocity is the velocity at a specific moment in time.

5. How do you calculate the vertical and horizontal components of velocity?

The vertical component of velocity can be calculated using the formula v_y = v sinθ, where v is the magnitude of the velocity and θ is the angle of the velocity vector with the horizontal. The horizontal component of velocity can be calculated using the formula v_x = v cosθ.