Calculating Thrust in Propeller Engines: Can Anyone Help?

In summary, the conversation is about someone seeking help with a question on aircraft propulsion technology. The question involves calculating thrust using various given conditions. The person asks for guidance and receives a helpful link with relevant information.
Emzielou83
Can anyone help me?

I'm doing a question on aircraft propulsion technology and I'm stuck.

The question is:

'If the mass of air through a propeller is 1000 Kg/s, the aircraft's velocity is 100 m/s and the slipstream velocity is 120 m/s, calculate the thrust?

Attempt at answer:

Surely if F = ma then the equation should be F = 1000 * 100 = 10000 Kg/s

But I don't think this is the right answer as I have not taken the slipstream velocity into consideration.

The only other equation I can find is

F = (m dot * V)e - (m dot * V)0 + (pe - p0) * Ae

But I don't have pe or p0 or Ae neither do I understand what they are.

Can someone please steer me in the right direction?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi, with the given conditions, thrust can be calculated by using the formula:
Thrust = Mass airflow X (slipstream velocity-aircraft velocity).
Below website has good information may be it helps you.

http://www.flightlearnings.com/basic-propeller-principles-part-two/384/"

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks very much.

It seems so simple now, just couldn't see it.

Thanks again

What is thrust in propeller engines?

Thrust is the force that propels an aircraft or vehicle forward. In propeller engines, thrust is created by the rotation of the propeller blades, which pushes air backwards, generating an equal and opposite force in the forward direction.

How is thrust measured in propeller engines?

Thrust is measured in pounds (lb) or newtons (N). In propeller engines, thrust is typically measured by a device called a dynamometer, which calculates the amount of force being generated by the propeller.

What factors affect the amount of thrust produced by a propeller engine?

The amount of thrust produced by a propeller engine depends on several factors, including the speed of the propeller, the angle of the blades, the shape and size of the blades, and the density of the air. Other factors such as temperature, altitude, and humidity can also affect thrust.

How does thrust affect the performance of an aircraft?

Thrust is a crucial factor in the performance of an aircraft. The amount of thrust produced determines the speed and acceleration of the aircraft, as well as its ability to climb, turn, and maneuver. Insufficient thrust can result in reduced performance and even loss of control.

What are some ways to increase thrust in propeller engines?

There are several ways to increase thrust in propeller engines, including increasing the speed of the propeller, increasing the pitch of the blades, and using more efficient propeller designs. In some cases, multiple propellers may be used to increase overall thrust. Some propeller engines also have a feature called a variable pitch propeller, which allows for adjustments to the angle of the blades in flight.