3 Non-Chiral Amino Acids in Organisms

In summary, the conversation revolved around identifying three non-chiral amino acids in organisms. The participants mentioned checking a table and finding that glycine is the only non-chiral proteinogenic amino acid. They also discussed the possibility of the question being a trick and the ambiguity of the term "proteinogenic." Overall, it was determined that the other two non-chiral amino acids are Asx, Xle, and Glx.
PeetPb
hi,
I've got a problem,which 3 amino acids are non-chiral ? I know there are many of them but I suppose they're only asking about those which are in organisms... I know about glycine but what are the other two ? thanks

Biology news on Phys.org
Google a list of proteinogenic aminoacids and check. It is not that hard.

yes I've checked the table and the only non-chiral amino acid I found is glycine... so I;m asking what could be the other two they meant ...

I'm fairly certain that glycine is the only non-chiral proteinogenic amino acid.

Maybe it's a despicable trick question as they didn't say alpha amino acid nor proteinogenic?

they didn't say literally that which 3 proteinogenic , but I suppose they meant that because the text before talks about the amino acids in organims ... I answered it with Asx Xle and Glx ... I know that it has pretty much nothing to do with chirality...

1. What are non-chiral amino acids?

Non-chiral amino acids are amino acids that do not have a chiral carbon atom in their molecular structure. This means that they do not have mirror-image forms and are therefore not optically active.

2. How many non-chiral amino acids are found in organisms?

There are three non-chiral amino acids that are commonly found in organisms: glycine, alanine, and proline.

3. What is the function of non-chiral amino acids in organisms?

Non-chiral amino acids serve a variety of functions in organisms. Glycine is important for the synthesis of heme, a molecule that carries oxygen in the blood. Alanine is involved in energy metabolism and plays a role in muscle growth. Proline is a structural component of proteins and is involved in collagen synthesis.

4. Can non-chiral amino acids be synthesized in the body?

Yes, non-chiral amino acids can be synthesized in the body through various biochemical pathways. For example, glycine can be synthesized from the amino acid serine, and alanine can be synthesized from the breakdown of proteins.

5. Are there any health implications associated with non-chiral amino acids?

There are no known negative health implications associated with non-chiral amino acids. In fact, they are essential for proper bodily functions and are found in many common foods. However, excessive intake of certain non-chiral amino acids, such as glycine, may have adverse effects on individuals with certain health conditions.