Preparation to The Road to Reality

In summary, the conversation centered around preparing for the book "The Road to Reality" by Penrose. It was mentioned that the book has prerequisites in maths well above uni level, making it difficult for even grad students in math and physics. It was advised to treat the book as a roadmap and supplement with other sources to fully understand the topics. Recommendations were given for other books on calculus and general physics at a beginner level. It was also mentioned that Penrose himself provides references for the material in the book.
NekOSound
Preparation to "The Road to Reality"

Hello everyone,

Sorry, I know it's not the right section but I can't post in the "Math & Science Learning Materials" forum.

I read really good reviews about Penrose's book "The Road to Reality" and I will probably purchase it, but I also read that the prerequistes in maths were well above uni level.

Since I'm finishing my last year of high school, I wanted to know which book could be a good preparation to Penrose's ?

Thank you in advance !

--NekOSound

Physics news on Phys.org

Penrose will be far above your level. Even grad students in math and physics might not know everything in the book.

You must treat Penrose's book as a roadmap. The book will give you a short introduction on each topic and it will tell you what is important. However, it will be necessary to look at some other source to really understand everything Penrose is saying.

For example, Penrose will introduce manifolds. The idea is that you read Penrose's view of the matter and then look at some other source for a full explanation.

If you really want to understand physics, then you should start by studying calculus and general physics.

Thank you micromass for your quick answer ! =)

Do you have any recomandations of good books on the topics you advice (calculus and general physics) that would be of my level ?

Penrose starts out at a fairly low level with only high school math prerequisites, so you could start reading it. But it might not be the easiest way to learn the stuff, and it starts getting kind of heavy by chapter 7. Even chapter 6 has some reasonably hard problems in it. I think there are 33 or 34 chapters in the book.

I am still trying to finish it, and I almost have a PhD in math. Of course, the only reason I haven't finished it is because I don't have time, and because there's a lot of stuff in there that you have to find other sources for to fully understand, but if it were easy, I would have finished it by now. I've been a bit stuck in the twenty-something chapters because you have to learn a considerable amount of physics (quantum field theory and the standard model of particle physics) to fill in a lot of the gaps. That's a big task. Quantum field theory is the hardest subject that physicists have to learn.

There's probably no point in giving a list of references for the whole book, since it is pretty thick, and it will take you years before you would need them. John Baez has a lot of helpful articles scattered throughout his website if you can find them.

Actually, Penrose himself gives references for a lot of the material in the book. For example, in chapter 7, he recommends his former student, Tristan Needham's book, Visual Complex Analysis for a more complete treatment of complex analysis.

Thank you homeomorphic, I think I will buy it and then like you said find more help on the chapters with external sources. Thank you again ! =D

NekOSound said:
Thank you micromass for your quick answer ! =)
Do you have any recomandations of good books on the topics you advice (calculus and general physics) that would be of my level ?

There are several books at this level. You might start with standard first year university textbooks like:

Jordan, D. & Smith, P. Mathematical Techniques (OUP)
Young, H.D. & Freedman, R.A. University Physics (Addison-Wesley)

These are much easier to understand than Penrose. But you will need to do a full degree in physics, and then some, before you get to cover all the topics Penrose is talking about in the kind of mathematical language he is using.

1. What is "The Road to Reality"?

"The Road to Reality" is a book written by physicist and mathematician Roger Penrose. It explores the fundamental concepts and theories of modern physics and mathematics, with a focus on the connection between the two fields.

2. Who is the target audience for this book?

The book is intended for a general audience, but it does require a basic understanding of mathematics and physics. It is suitable for anyone interested in gaining a deeper understanding of the fundamental principles of our universe.

3. How is the book structured?

The book is divided into two parts: the first part covers the basic concepts and theories of physics and mathematics, while the second part delves into more advanced topics such as quantum mechanics and string theory. Each chapter builds upon the previous ones, making it a comprehensive and cohesive read.

4. Is this book suitable for beginners in physics and mathematics?

While the book does cover some complex concepts, it is written in a clear and accessible manner. However, it may be challenging for complete beginners in these fields and may require some additional outside reading or research.

5. What makes this book stand out from other books on physics and mathematics?

"The Road to Reality" is unique in its approach to combining the two fields of physics and mathematics. It also delves into more advanced topics that are not typically covered in other introductory books. Additionally, the author's writing style makes complex concepts easier to understand for the general audience.