Understanding the Derivative of ln(cos x) for Plane Curves?

In summary, the conversation is about finding the T, N, and k values for a plane curve and questioning the use of the chain rule in finding the derivative of ln(cos(t)). The experts explain that since ln(cos(t)) is a composition of two functions, the chain rule must be used to find the derivative. They provide an example using ln(t^2) and illustrate how the chain rule applies in this case. The expert also clarifies that the derivative of ln(cos(t)) should be calculated as -tan(t) by multiplying f'(g(t)) by g'(t).
bobsmith76

Homework Statement

the question is for plane curves. find T N and k for the plane curves

1. r(t) = ti + ln (cos t)

the derivative of ln x is 1/|x|, so why isn't the derivative of ln cos x, 1/cos x or sec x?

My book says the answer is - tan x

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Because [itex]\ln{\cos{x}}[/itex] is actually a composition of the functions [itex]\ln{x}[/itex] and [itex]\cos{x}[/itex]. Therefore you need to use the chain rule.

I put in the question into the original post. I don't see how they're using the chain rule. They aren't deriving two terms, it's just ln (cos t). if they're driving t, then i would think the derivative of t would just be 1.

you need to use the derivative of ln r(t), which is r'(t)/ r (t)
try that!

Consider this problem: Find the derivative of ##y=\ln t^2##.

First method: Using the property of logs, we pull the exponent out front.
$$y=\ln t^2 = 2\ln t$$ When you differentiate this, you get
$$y' = 2\left(\frac{1}{t}\right).$$ This is the correct answer.

Second method: Just "differentiate" the way you did
$$y' = \frac{1}{t^2}.$$ This is wrong. Why is it wrong?

but there's no exponent involved here. plus look at this problem: they just derive everything normally here. they don't do the r'/r

Screenshot2012-02-26at52420AM.png

The chain rule says that the derivative of f(g(t)) is f'(g(t))g'(t).
This is what vela illustrated.

In your case, for ln(cos(t)), you have calculated f'(g(t)) which is 1/cos(t), but you still need to multiply by g'(t) which is the derivative of cos(t).

ok, I sort of understand.

bobsmith76 said:
ok, I sort of understand.

So do you understand how the book got -tan(t)?

1. What is the derivative of ln cos x?

The derivative of ln cos x is equal to -tan x.

2. How do you find the derivative of ln cos x?

To find the derivative of ln cos x, you can use the chain rule and the fact that the derivative of ln x is equal to 1/x. The derivative of ln cos x is therefore equal to the derivative of cos x, which is -sin x, multiplied by the derivative of ln x, which is 1/x. This gives us -sin x/x, which can also be written as -tan x.

3. Why is the derivative of ln cos x equal to -tan x?

The derivative of ln cos x is equal to -tan x because of the chain rule. The derivative of ln cos x is equal to the derivative of cos x multiplied by the derivative of ln x. The derivative of cos x is -sin x, and the derivative of ln x is 1/x, so the derivative of ln cos x is -sin x/x, which can be simplified to -tan x.

4. Can the derivative of ln cos x be simplified further?

No, the derivative of ln cos x, which is -tan x, cannot be simplified further. This is because -tan x is the simplest form of the derivative and cannot be further simplified using basic trigonometric identities.

5. What is the significance of the derivative of ln cos x?

The derivative of ln cos x is significant because it can be used to find the rate of change of a function involving ln cos x. It also has practical applications in fields such as physics and engineering, where it is used to calculate the slope of a curve at a specific point.